Police Academy Adventures

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 193

Re: Police Academy Adventures

Post by nightmare69 »

Tomorrow is going to be a long day. I have to get up early and go take a test for a local county SO and turn in my application. Then go back to school that's starting at 1pm and going till midnight for night patrol. Friday morning is going to be tough along with staying awake in class.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

nightmare69 wrote:We are good for life unless I had to go through the academy again. We did a few hours of lecture and took a written test then go through level 1 contamination. We are good to go. I will keep a few bottles if water in the patrol car just in case.

Some depts will make you go through it again as part of phase training. If you work certain units you get exposed all the time in training. Then when you get in the field some rookie will spray you while you are rolling on the ground fighting :smash:

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Night patrol and felony stop training was fun. We had a guy volunteer to get dry tased and I got it on video but a few choice words were said so I don't think I can upload it on here. Funny video though.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Double post.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

This week we are covering, multiculturalism and human relations; communications and problem solving; Spanish.

This is the last week that will will be in the classroom for awhile. After that it's firearms, driving, long guns.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 43

Post by Excaliber »

nightmare69 wrote:This week we are covering, multiculturalism and human relations; communications and problem solving; Spanish.

This is the last week that will will be in the classroom for awhile. After that it's firearms, driving, long guns.
You're almost on to the fun stuff!
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 53

Post by WildBill »

Excaliber wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:This week we are covering, multiculturalism and human relations; communications and problem solving; Spanish.

I don't know about you, but for me this academy thing is flying by fast. :lol:
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

WildBill wrote:
Excaliber wrote:

Yeah Im ready for driving and firearms.

One of the instructors came in on the first day and said, "graduation will be here next week" and he was right. Time is flying by and graduation feels right around the corner.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

nightmare69 wrote:
WildBill wrote:
Excaliber wrote:

Yeah Im ready for driving and firearms.

One of the instructors came in on the first day and said, "graduation will be here next week" and he was right. Time is flying by and graduation feels right around the corner.
Keep focused and vigilant. It's not over until it's over. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

oohrah
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oohrah »

do they wash people out as you go along? if so, what is the washout rate so far?
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

oohrah wrote:do they wash people out as you go along? if so, what is the washout rate so far?
We had 43 to start but some never showed up for the first day and 2 were cut by the second day, probably due to background check. As far as academics we have not had anyone drop out yet, a couple failed penal code but after the instructor threw out a few questions that were worded poorly everyone passed. We have one guy who has missed 4 days so far and if he misses another 4hrs he is gone.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Stressing out here. Got a call from the county I applied with and turned in my app and took some aptitude test for them last week. Only reason I was able to schedule the test for morning was we were doing night patrol that day and didn't have to be at the academy till 1pm. Fast forward to today had a message from said county and they want to schedule me for my polygraph. No problem except they can only do it during business hours. This is a problem cause Im in school from 8-5 M-F, I told them that I cannot miss class unless its an emergency.

She told me that we cannot move forward until I take my polygraph test. I explained my situation and said one of the reasons I applied there was a few of your employees told me that they would work with us around our schedule so we didn't have to miss any class. She is supposed to speak to the lieutenant and call me back tomorrow. I know of 3 others who have, or are going to apply and I doubt they are willing to miss class either.

You can only miss 35hrs and still make that up, miss 36hrs and you are kicked out. TCOLE says you have to make up time minute for minute, problem is the night classes are on something totally different and you are sitting there basically being punished for missing class. Whatever lecture or topic was covered if you missed it its gone forever, you will never have a chance to make up that topic. This becomes a problem when taking the weekly test, if you miss a good portion of the test I doubt you will pass. We have 1 guy who has missed 32hrs from taking test/interviews with 2 departments. He misses and another 4hrs and he is gone. You have to attend class to get that TCOLE peace officers license, you keep missing class or flunk out all those interviews are redundant.

I think I did the right thing and stood my ground letting them know that the academy is my #1 priority. I hope they will work with me cause I told them I will meet them at 3am or any other time other than during the academy even though I really need a job once I get out asap. Going to this academy has been fun but a massive inconvenience cause it takes up the entire business day. Ive had a lot of personal matters that I had to put on hold and other business to attend to that Ive been unavailable. Just needed to vent guys but what would you do if the county calls back tomorrow and says they can only do the polygraph test during the day forcing me to miss a minimum 4hrs or half a day?
5/20-Plastic in hand.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

nightmare69 wrote:Just needed to vent guys but what would you do if the county calls back tomorrow and says they can only do the polygraph test during the day forcing me to miss a minimum 4hrs or half a day?
Tell them thanks, but no thanks. The academy is your first priority now. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

jl39775
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jl39775 »

nightmare69 wrote:Stressing out here. Got a call from the county I applied with and turned in my app and took some aptitude test for them last week. Only reason I was able to schedule the test for morning was we were doing night patrol that day and didn't have to be at the academy till 1pm. Fast forward to today had a message from said county and they want to schedule me for my polygraph. No problem except they can only do it during business hours. This is a problem cause Im in school from 8-5 M-F, I told them that I cannot miss class unless its an emergency.

She told me that we cannot move forward until I take my polygraph test. I explained my situation and said one of the reasons I applied there was a few of your employees told me that they would work with us around our schedule so we didn't have to miss any class. She is supposed to speak to the lieutenant and call me back tomorrow. I know of 3 others who have, or are going to apply and I doubt they are willing to miss class either.

You can only miss 35hrs and still make that up, miss 36hrs and you are kicked out. TCOLE says you have to make up time minute for minute, problem is the night classes are on something totally different and you are sitting there basically being punished for missing class. Whatever lecture or topic was covered if you missed it its gone forever, you will never have a chance to make up that topic. This becomes a problem when taking the weekly test, if you miss a good portion of the test I doubt you will pass. We have 1 guy who has missed 32hrs from taking test/interviews with 2 departments. He misses and another 4hrs and he is gone. You have to attend class to get that TCOLE peace officers license, you keep missing class or flunk out all those interviews are redundant.

I think I did the right thing and stood my ground letting them know that the academy is my #1 priority. I hope they will work with me cause I told them I will meet them at 3am or any other time other than during the academy even though I really need a job once I get out asap. Going to this academy has been fun but a massive inconvenience cause it takes up the entire business day. Ive had a lot of personal matters that I had to put on hold and other business to attend to that Ive been unavailable. Just needed to vent guys but what would you do if the county calls back tomorrow and says they can only do the polygraph test during the day forcing me to miss a minimum 4hrs or half a day?
I started reading this thread today and I hope you graduate top of your class. You're working hard and your grades reflect your dedication. I've read your previous posts and I come to the conclusion that you prefer to be a cop instead of a jailer. I really hope the county can't work with your schedule and you can't take the polygraph test. You deserve a job that you really want and I know you will find a department that fits your criteria. Don't settle for a job just for a paycheck. You may be unhappy and have regrets. Go for gold and you will get what you want.
NRA Member
USAF 93-97

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”