CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
rickhdz36
Posts in topic: 4

I saw someone OPEN CARRYING

Post by rickhdz36 »

Hello Everybody!

Yeah as title says I witnessed someone open carrying a handgun. I am new to conceal carry since, I still haven't received my CHL but i am always reading and just trying to learn as much as possible about the law and or situations to avoid. At the time I did not know and still do not much and I felt like since I did not know his situation, I did not want to look dumb when I approached the person. Which I wish I should have just to actually learn and get his side of the story but he was talking to someone. 1st thing is I am currently in the National Guard and I was making up some dates I had missed from the previous month, so there was not a lot of people walking around. So this person who is part of the unit (do not know him personally but I have seen him around) is walking into the building with a holster and what looked like a Glock. It was no where near trying to be concealed, his shirt was behind the holster. So I kind of gave him a stare like are you really doing that? Well he just kept walking to do whatever he came to do. I assumed he was either LE or something of that sort. Especially since I saw my 1st Sergeant and he started talking to him as if everything was normal. My 1st Sergeant is very strict and by the book but he also is not jerk but he does not like any rules being broken or he takes care of it immediately. So when he did nothing, I went on with my day and did not see this gentlemen again.

Besides the fact that he is open carrying, I believe this is a Federal building and it is also on a Military Reservation which is controlled by actual MP's. So I would assume someone who is even concealed would not even think of entering the building with any short of weapon. This is a brand new building and does not have any signs. Our old building was full of signs, like no weapons on this facility and other things of that sort.

I thought all LE had to be concealed when off duty or his that determined by the county? Are any branches of LE allowed to open carry like that? He is not an MP by the way.

I really wished I asked him but I have not seen him since this day.

Sorry so long but I want to learn and I also do not want to leave much out.

Thanks for an clarity!

n5wd
Posts in topic: 1

Re: I saw someone OPEN CARRYING

Post by n5wd »

rickhdz36 wrote:Hello Everybody!

Yeah as title says I witnessed someone open carrying a handgun. I am new to conceal carry since, I still haven't received my CHL but i am always reading and just trying to learn as much as possible about the law and or situations to avoid. At the time I did not know and still do not much and I felt like since I did not know his situation, I did not want to look dumb when I approached the person. Which I wish I should have just to actually learn and get his side of the story but he was talking to someone. 1st thing is I am currently in the National Guard and I was making up some dates I had missed from the previous month, so there was not a lot of people walking around. So this person who is part of the unit (do not know him personally but I have seen him around) is walking into the building with a holster and what looked like a Glock. It was no where near trying to be concealed, his shirt was behind the holster. So I kind of gave him a stare like are you really doing that? Well he just kept walking to do whatever he came to do. I assumed he was either LE or something of that sort. Especially since I saw my 1st Sergeant and he started talking to him as if everything was normal. My 1st Sergeant is very strict and by the book but he also is not a jerk but he does not like any rules being broken or he takes care of it immediately. So when he did nothing, I went on with my day and did not see this gentlemen again.

Besides the fact that he is open carrying, I believe this is a Federal building and it is also on a Military Reservation which is controlled by actual MP's. So I would assume someone who is even concealed would not even think of entering the building with any short of weapon. This is a brand new building and does not have any signs. Our old building was full of signs, like no weapons on this facility and other things of that sort.

I thought all LE had to be concealed when off duty or his that determined by the county? Are any branches of LE allowed to open carry like that? He is not an MP by the way.

Thanks for an clarity!
Unless you're on a federal reservation, i.e. NAS Fort Worth, IIRC the National Guard armories are owned and controlled by the governor of the state until they are federalized. So, if the gent in question was an LEO, there's probably nothing wrong at all, a matter that your first shirt showed when he didn't have any heartburn over the guy open-carrying. If you're curious, ask Top who the guy is, and who he works for.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Topic author
rickhdz36

Post by rickhdz36 »

n5wd wrote:
rickhdz36 wrote:Hello Everybody!

Yeah as title says I witnessed someone open carrying a handgun. I am new to conceal carry since, I still haven't received my CHL but i am always reading and just trying to learn as much as possible about the law and or situations to avoid. At the time I did not know and still do not much and I felt like since I did not know his situation, I did not want to look dumb when I approached the person. Which I wish I should have just to actually learn and get his side of the story but he was talking to someone. 1st thing is I am currently in the National Guard and I was making up some dates I had missed from the previous month, so there was not a lot of people walking around. So this person who is part of the unit (do not know him personally but I have seen him around) is walking into the building with a holster and what looked like a Glock. It was no where near trying to be concealed, his shirt was behind the holster. So I kind of gave him a stare like are you really doing that? Well he just kept walking to do whatever he came to do. I assumed he was either LE or something of that sort. Especially since I saw my 1st Sergeant and he started talking to him as if everything was normal. My 1st Sergeant is very strict and by the book but he also is not a jerk but he does not like any rules being broken or he takes care of it immediately. So when he did nothing, I went on with my day and did not see this gentlemen again.

Thanks for an clarity!
Unless you're on a federal reservation, i.e. NAS Fort Worth, IIRC the National Guard armories are owned and controlled by the governor of the state until they are federalized. So, if the gent in question was an LEO, there's probably nothing wrong at all, a matter that your first shirt showed when he didn't have any heartburn over the guy open-carrying. If you're curious, ask Top who the guy is, and who he works for.
I understand that the National Guard is owned by the Governor but the land that our building is on is an actual ACTIVE military post.

I just never seen any cops open carry and I have lived in several cities in Texas and other states, it was just a first for me. I do have a couple buddies that are cops, so I might ask them but just wanted to see what the deal was.

Thank you!

o b juan

Post by o b juan »

come on down to the "Valley" and you will see men and womwn in civvies and a hand gun on and if you look carefully you will see a badge on their belt or shirt, It in the past has been shortsleeve weather almost year round until this year.. :cool:
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

plain clothes? open carry? probably a Ranger....at least that's what I would assume. a Fed would have a jacket on. and a regular LEO would probably be in uniform. could be a detective? but again would probably have a jacket on. Rangers tend to just not care, which I tend to love. ;-)
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
rickhdz36

Post by rickhdz36 »

SewTexas wrote:plain clothes? open carry? probably a Ranger....at least that's what I would assume. a Fed would have a jacket on. and a regular LEO would probably be in uniform. could be a detective? but again would probably have a jacket on. Rangers tend to just not care, which I tend to love. ;-)

Lol I like the "Rangers tend to just not care"

jbarn
Posts in topic: 6

Post by jbarn »

rickhdz36 wrote:
Off duty LEO's are not restricted on the type of carry under Texas law; open or concealed.

I have seen State LEO's open carry in plain clothes often, including Rangers, TABC, etc.

Also, under penal code 46.15(b), a person who is in the actual discharge of official duties as a member of the armed forces or state military forces as defined by Section 437.001, Government Code, or as a guard employed by a penal institution can carry open or concealed. I don't know if any armed forces members work in plain clothes, but if they are on official duty they can carry openly. I think Army CID and Air Force OSI and military and not civilians like NCIS.

Under 46.15(a), a federal LEO, like NCIS, can carry open or concealed.
Last edited by jbarn on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

ShootDontTalk

Post by ShootDontTalk »

You used to be able to tell what brand of LEO they were by the type of weapon. Rangers and Sheriff used to, almost to a man, carry 1911's usually with fancy grips. Local guys carry black plastic, Glock or Sig or some such. Feds, well I suspect most carry the same nowadays. There ought to be a guidebook!
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

ShootDontTalk wrote:You used to be able to tell what brand of LEO they were by the type of weapon. Rangers and Sheriff used to, almost to a man, carry 1911's usually with fancy grips. Local guys carry black plastic, Glock or Sig or some such. Feds, well I suspect most carry the same nowadays. There ought to be a guidebook!
I find myself doing the same thing.
NRA Endowment Member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

WildBill wrote:
ShootDontTalk wrote:You used to be able to tell what brand of LEO they were by the type of weapon. Rangers and Sheriff used to, almost to a man, carry 1911's usually with fancy grips. Local guys carry black plastic, Glock or Sig or some such. Feds, well I suspect most carry the same nowadays. There ought to be a guidebook!
Our Texas domicile is in a small rural county seat in east Texas. I see dudes in OC mode almost daily. I don't study them and they don't study me, because why.............. :mrgreen: ?
C'mon kids, someone knows why.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Oldgringo wrote:
WildBill wrote:
Our Texas domicile is in a small rural county seat in east Texas. I see dudes in OC mode almost daily. I don't study them and they don't study me, because why.............. :mrgreen: ?
C'mon kids, someone knows why.
Because nobody cares?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

SewTexas wrote:plain clothes? open carry? probably a Ranger....at least that's what I would assume. a Fed would have a jacket on. and a regular LEO would probably be in uniform. could be a detective? but again would probably have a jacket on. Rangers tend to just not care, which I tend to love. ;-)
Lots of sheriff's detectives open carry with a badge on the belt. Senior officers in plainclothes often do so as well, as do some officers attending training. I've had lunch in the DFW area with several police chiefs open carrying in a public restaurant.

It's not at all unusual, especially outside the big cities, but many folks don't notice anyway.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Not around here, the Valley, or in West Texas. I see LEO's open carrying all the time --no jacket, usually just jeans and a collared shirt. Their badge is usually on their belt. I usually don't get a good enough look at their badge to tell what agency they're from.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

mojo84
Posts in topic: 10

Post by mojo84 »

I see guys in plain clothes regularly carrying their guns openly but they usually have a badge on their belt and are investigators for the local sheriff's office.

However, on my trips down south to fish Lake Falcon, I quite often see guys open carrying handguns without badges on. I also see guys wearing regular polo or short sleeve button up shirts with a security badge or patch. Sometimes the patch will be on the shoulder and sometimes on the chest. Last trip down there, I saw several guys open carrying in a fast food joint having lunch and they all had navy blue polo shirts with "SECURITY" across the back, tan tactical 5-11 pants and dessert tan tactical boots. It was obvious they were not at the place where they were assigned to provide security as they all got up and left when they finished eating.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Excaliber wrote:
Lots of sheriff's detectives open carry with a badge on the belt. Senior officers in plainclothes often do so as well, as do some officers attending training. I've had lunch in the DFW area with several police chiefs open carrying in a public restaurant.

It's not at all unusual, especially outside the big cities, but many folks don't notice anyway.

I OC at work. My badge is usually next to the gun, but people often fail to see the badge. I had a dude stare me down the other day so hard I almost busted out laughing. His stare was hatred towards LEOs and I guess my getting gas infuriated him. I actually had to get used to this moving to TX because in the Peoples Republic we kept our guns concealed when in plain clothing. Colder weather I wear a coat, but when it's warm it's warm.

I'd bet one could get away with OC wearing a CHL badge and wonder how many do? It's hard to read a badge unless you are closed to it. Of course this would be a violation, but just a thought.

As to mojos post, that sounds like a security guard uniform, and properly licensed they also have the right to get lunch.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”