After you got your PIN, how long did it take?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
exi
Posts in topic: 4

After you got your PIN, how long did it take?

Post by exi »

My app was received in Austin on September 14th. After returning the pic (which I, like lots of others, forgot to sign), I received my PIN in the mail on October 17th. I was just curious how long it took for your status to go from "Processing" to "Completed", assuming there weren't any problems (like how someone was saying at Glocktalk how FBI prints get kicked back somewhat often, not sure how often that is...).

JLaw

Post by JLaw »

exi --

Mine took almost the full 90 days (about 1 yr ago), but my good friend got his in around 30 days (about 2 months ago). Maybe it depends on how busy and how many applications they have to work through???

JLaw

Topic author
exi

Post by exi »

I imagine you're talking about start to finish on the 90 days? I was kind of hoping it'd be done in a week or two from now since I finally got the PIN last week...

JLaw

Post by JLaw »

exi --

I reserve the right to be wrong on this, but I believe the 90 day law begins when the state starts processing your application (when they actually ISSUE the PIN). I do remember, however, that my CHL did not arrive until just before the mandated "issue/no issue" time period was up. Boy was I nervous! Don't worry though, everyone else I talk to seems to get their's much faster than I got mine. Maybe Mr. Cotton can remind us what amount of time the state is allowed by law to review the applications???

JLaw

JLaw

Post by JLaw »

PM sent to Mr. Cotton.

JLaw

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 1

Post by txinvestigator »

JLaw wrote:exi --

I reserve the right to be wrong on this, but I believe the 90 day law begins when the state starts processing your application (when they actually ISSUE the PIN). I do remember, however, that my CHL did not arrive until just before the mandated "issue/no issue" time period was up. Boy was I nervous! Don't worry though, everyone else I talk to seems to get their's much faster than I got mine. Maybe Mr. Cotton can remind us what amount of time the state is allowed by law to review the applications???

JLaw
Its 60 days from the date they receive a COMPLETED package. If they kick back prints, pics or otherwise it is not complete upon their receipt, the time does not start.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

DPS "must" issue a CHL or a denial within 60 days of receipt of a complete application for an initial license and within 45 days for a renewal. (See Gov’t Code §411.177(b) and 411.185(c))

Chas.

JLaw

Post by JLaw »

60 days...thank you both for the correction. I guess my anticipation at the time must have made the think it was 90 days.

JLaw

John_Rodriguez

Post by John_Rodriguez »

Sept13th is when the envelope was dated, Oct 25 the website said
LPRC member #709

45Fan

Post by 45Fan »

John_Rodriguez wrote:Sept13th is when the envelope was dated, Oct 25 the website said
I've had some conversations (via e-mail) with Melody and from what I can gather they have moved into a new buidling and the mail is a "tad" bit slow following them into it. Wonder if that could be part of some peoples problem lately?

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 3

Post by stevie_d_64 »

As far as renewals go...This is what I do...And this is only a guideline...

Lets say if my license expires on my birthday in 2011, I back up 3 months from that month, to set the date that I want to get my "package" sent to Austin...

That means I will have already taken the course and have all the fingerprints, pictures (signed) and all the other affidavits completed, signed, notorized, whatever, ready to git in the mail by the first week in May...

I know I said three months, but I have padded that time, just to make sure that if there is a problem (if they have a problem, not me) we can correct that and not have a lapse after the current license expires...

My last renewal took 17 days...Mailbox to mailbox...I don't think they had time to issue me a "pin" number...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

John
Posts in topic: 8

Post by John »

I found my renewal letter, with PIN number, on my desk yesterday. It was dated October 18 and my birthday is in April. Last night I went online and started the process so I’ll keep you guys posted as to my progress (I've got lots of time, right?)

If I understand the process correctly, they’ve already charged the 70 bucks to my credit card, they will mail out the affidavits along with a finger print card and a photo holder. I take the renewal course and forward everything back to them notarized and properly completed.

I'm with Steveie_D on this one... get it into them early.

I also emailed the folks where I did my class 4 years ago, but I’m not sure if they are still around. I'm in Sugar Land if anyone has suggestions or recommendations.

Edited to add: Stevie_D, I think the renewal process has changed since your last one. they sent me the PIN before I started the process. Using the PIN, I was able to complete the Renewal Application by computer.
JohnC

John
Posts in topic: 8

Post by John »

Text from the Online renewal receipt:

Thank you for using the Concealed Handgun Licensing and Instructor Certification Online Application site. A non-refundable fee of $70.00 has been deducted from your credit card for the following: License Renewal. We recommend that you print this receipt or write down your Trace Number if you have questions regarding the payment for your online transaction.

You may return to this web site to check on the status of your application. Once we have received your online application, you will receive a confirmation statement in the mail from the Texas Department of Public Safety Concealed Handgun Licensing Bureau. Please return confirmation statement to complete your application. DPS cannot process your application until all required materials and documents are submitted.Incomplete or inaccurate information will delay the processing of your application.

Materials and information such as the following will be in the packet mailed to you, or must be submitted by you. All information must be submitted by you within 12 months from the "Transaction Date"(printed at the top of this page) for a new license or instructor application; or 12 months from date of expiration of your license or instructor certification for renewals to complete your transaction. Failure to submit all information within this time period will result in termination of your application, and your fee will not be refunded.

Document Source

Application Confirmation Statement to be mailed to applicant. Department of Public Safety.

Three Affidavits signed and initialed by applicant and notarized mailed
to applicant.
Please visit the following site to download Affidavits http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/forms/.

Passport photo holder with signature.

Certified Instructor Please visit the following site for a list of Instructors
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administra ... sindex.htm.

Two Passport photos. Photo Studio or Certified Instructor Please
visit the following site for a list of Instructors
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administra ... sindex.htm
JohnC

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 3

Post by stevie_d_64 »

John,

When I last renewed, I really think they were just getting around to doing this whole online thing with the PIN numbers and application status online...

I was interested in the advance in the process, but at that time it really didn't matter to me what and how they did it...Call me old fashioned...

This next time I am thinking I am not going to have it so good...I think I was lucky that last time...

So if I do the things I believe will give them no reason to place a red flag on anything, I think I'll still beat a month on the next renewal...

Everything I send them that I can make a copy of, I do it and retain that info in a "safe" place...

I take my licenses and certifications seriously, and retain that documentation for reference (if needed) later...

When we evacuated for Rita...All I grabbed was the file folder with this info, and insurance papers, ID, Passports, etc etc...

I intend on making another copy of this information, and storing it where we would normally evacuate to in the future...

I know this is off on a tangent, but I figure the less crap you have to grab the better...And the less time you spend wondering if you got what you really needed...

Just food for thought...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

tex45acp

Post by tex45acp »

If I remember correctly.....it took 69 days to receive my CHL after the paperwork was sent in. I am a stickler for details and made sure all my t's were crossed and my i's were dotted. All appropriate signatures were in their prospective areas. I did make one mistake by sending in too much paperwork to which they promptly returned what was not needed.

I felt the process went very well from start to finish.
Texas.....Nuff Said!!!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”