Police Academy Adventures

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

WildBill
Posts in topic: 53

Re: Police Academy Adventures

Post by WildBill »

Excaliber wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
Excaliber wrote:
Before you commit to that agency, you might consider verifying what you've been told by asking to talk to a few of the folks who took this path and got their police officer assignments within 1 year.
Oh I will. I would like to work there cause is my home town and they pay decent but Ill get all my questions and concerns out of the way before I accept the job. That is if they are still hiring 2 months from now.
Another thing to look at is agency size.

Larger agencies generally take a bit more effort to go through the hiring process, but their training is usually better and the experience you get (from your own calls as well as from the calls that others respond to) is a lot broader and comes much faster than in smaller agencies.

Large agencies also have many more specialized and upper rank positions that turn over relatively quickly. In smaller agencies, you have to wait until one of four or five people retires or dies in order to get promoted.
Getting promoted early can make a huge difference in your earnings over the course of your career.
:iagree: I experienced the same in the corporate world.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 193

Post by nightmare69 »

Excaliber wrote:
Another thing to look at is agency size.

Larger agencies generally take a bit more effort to go through the hiring process, but their training is usually better and the experience you get (from your own calls as well as from the calls that others respond to) is a lot broader and comes much faster than in smaller agencies.

Large agencies also have many more specialized and upper rank positions that turn over relatively quickly. In smaller agencies, you have to wait until one of four or five people retires or dies in order to get promoted.
Getting promoted early can make a huge difference in your earnings over the course of your career.
In east Texas Gregg and Smith county are the biggest and pay the most. I talked to a few jailers and they all said they like Gregg so I plan on putting in a application before I graduate. It feels awkward asking a timeline in order to become a deputy but I think its a reasonable question. I just want to know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I don't mind being a jailer temporary but know I went to school to become a cop, not a jailer. I just hope that wont offend the supervisor and after I leave they dont throw my application in the trash. These are valid concerns of mine that I need to address.

Other news, got my TCOLE PID number today. We had to take a TCOLE rules test and must make a 100 on in order to take the state test. It took me 4 tries but I finally got it.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

nightmare69 wrote:
Excaliber wrote:
Before you commit to that agency, you might consider verifying what you've been told by asking to talk to a few of the folks who took this path and got their police officer assignments within 1 year.
Oh I will. I would like to work there cause is my home town and they pay decent but Ill get all my questions and concerns out of the way before I accept the job. That is if they are still hiring 2 months from now.

You learn about people in the jails. I personally believe ALL leo's should have some jail time at the begining of their career. It showed on my dept as you learn how to talk to people and it carries with you. If you take the CO route to get a job, look into reserving somewhere at the same time.

When you get to backgrounds, keep a copy of your personal history statement so it is the same at each agency you apply for. Turn your stuff in fast and return calls asap to backgrounds. When I call candidates and they blow me off their background goes to the bottom of the pile and I work the ones that did the complete packet first. You can even get on TCOLE or whatever Tcleose calls itself now and download the PHS. The next few months will fly by and its good you are looking at options.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

WildBill wrote:Maybe I am old fashioned but this quote is from one of the most famous and respected crime fighters in recent history. :tiphat:
Batman wrote:"Robin, Good English is always important!"
I have never been famous or respected.

(This is a WAAAAAAAY inside joke that only those who know me personally will get.....) :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Thanks guys for all the advise, it is much appreciated.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

johncanfield
Posts in topic: 4

Post by johncanfield »

nightmare69 wrote:Thanks guys for all the advise, it is much appreciated.
My turn to be the grammar patrol :mrgreen: .

Advice vs. advise differences.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

johncanfield wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:Thanks guys for all the advise, it is much appreciated.
My turn to be the grammar patrol :mrgreen: .

Advice vs. advise differences.

Dat is why dey hav spel chek on dem police report writing systems :thumbs2:

mojo84
Posts in topic: 35

Post by mojo84 »

Both are spelled correctly. ;-)
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

Building on my earlier advice :seeya: : 15 Grammar Goofs That Make You Look Silly

I continue to be amazed at how many people don't understand the difference between your and you're and my other favorite is its vs. it's.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

I'm on my phone, sue me. When I go for my associates degree in criminal justice I will have to take an English class.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

tbrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tbrown »

johncanfield wrote:Building on my earlier advice :seeya: : 15 Grammar Goofs That Make You Look Silly

I continue to be amazed at how many people don't understand the difference between your and you're and my other favorite is its vs. it's.
But what if my brother is an undead greengrocer?
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

nightmare69 wrote:I'm on my phone, sue me...
Why would I sue you because you're on the phone? ;-)

Seriously we're all pulling for you and attempting to assist you to become a better communicator, this is constructive criticism. Like it or not, we are all judged in part by how well we communicate, both verbally and written.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 53

Post by WildBill »

johncanfield wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:I'm on my phone, sue me...
Why would I sue you because you're on the phone? ;-)

Seriously we're all pulling for you and attempting to assist you to become a better communicator, this is constructive criticism. Like it or not, we are all judged in part by how well we communicate, both verbally and written.
:iagree:
NRA Endowment Member

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 43

Post by Excaliber »

nightmare69 wrote:I'm on my phone, sue me. When I go for my associates degree in criminal justice I will have to take an English class.
The folks here are on your side and are giving good advice, even though it may not always be what you want to hear. Believe me when I say that it's a lot easier to learn these things the easy way on the Forum than it is to do it the hard way in the school of hard knocks.

I would counsel you to take grammar and spelling seriously.

You can get by with sloppy grammar and spelling as an entry level LEO, but you'll have lots of trouble making rank or getting an investigative assignment if your lieutenants and captains find reading your reports painful and if somebody has to edit the ones that will go to court to keep the agency from being embarrassed. Also, getting cross examined by a skilled attorney on a poorly written report is an experience you won't soon forget.

The future for the folks that leave these skills undeveloped is 25 years of shift work in a patrol car. I know that sounds exciting now, but trust me when I tell you that after 5 to 7 years of that, you won't be a happy camper looking forward to another 18 to 20 years of doing the same thing at the bottom of the career ladder dealing with the dirtiest jobs and the dirtiest people in and year out while your friends are getting stripes, gold badges, and bars on their uniforms.

That's not unique to law enforcement either. In the civilian world, which you will eventually return to, he who can write is a prized commodity. More and more companies are requiring writing samples during the interview process. In one company I've done quite a bit of work with, entry level job candidates for a consulting position are given a situation and 90 minutes to write a several page report on it in MS Word on a computer. If it doesn't meet very high standards for organization, grammar, spelling, and punctuation, it doesn't matter what else is on the resume - he's toast for a position that would have paid him in the six figures plus bonus and full benefits to start - if he could write.

It's something to think about.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

I understand and when I'm writing my reports at school I am mindful of my grammar. I don't really worry to much about it on a forum typing on my iPhone. I am working on improving my writing skills and I will be taking a couple of courses on the subject.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”