CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
R_Comstock
Posts in topic: 1

DWI and CHL

Post by R_Comstock »

Good Day

I have a friend who is interested in obtaining his Texas CHL. He is a certified LEO with me in the Coast Guard. Three and a half years ago, he got a DWI in Washington state. Texas calls for a five year wait from a DWI before you can apply for your CHL if I remember right. Does this requirement apply to offenses in states other than Texas? He is otherwise fully eligible for a Texas CHL. There are more details as to why we Coasties carry CHLs instead of relying on LEOSA but it's not something I'm going to type out on an iPhone.

jbarn
Posts in topic: 1

Re: DWI and CHL

Post by jbarn »

R_Comstock wrote:Good Day

I have a friend who is interested in obtaining his Texas CHL. He is a certified LEO with me in the Coast Guard. Three and a half years ago, he got a DWI in Washington state. Texas calls for a five year wait from a DWI before you can apply for your CHL if I remember right. Does this requirement apply to offenses in states other than Texas? He is otherwise fully eligible for a Texas CHL. There are more details as to why we Coasties carry CHLs instead of relying on LEOSA but it's not something I'm going to type out on an iPhone.

Yes, it applies to offenses in other states. Your friend has a year and a half to go.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”