Police Academy Adventures

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

srothstein
Posts in topic: 17

Re: Police Academy Adventures

Post by srothstein »

I don't know if your academy has told you about it, but Texanjoker is right. For the laws, after you pass the academy, knowing the basics and where to find it are the important parts. For the CCP, all I have ever really used is parts of Article 2 and Article 14 and the one section on arresting a thief (18.16). Anything else I needed was always looked up. And I usually looked up those parts, but I had to know the basics of them.

In addition to keeping a book in the car, I kept a copy of Gould's Penal Code on disk installed in the laptop in the car. And I also bookmarked the state official statutes web site, but it is almost a year behind on updates. it sill only has the 2011 changes included.

That doesn't help with studying, but it should ease your mind for later. The key part was to pass the tests, then know where to find what you need.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 193

Post by nightmare69 »

Did well on my tests, CCP: 92 A/S/S: 94

Started Penal Code today and should be done with it early next week. Found out we do NOT do taser training at the academy due to the cost of the cartridge. They said its 30 bucks a pop so they no longer do it. They can't use the alligator clips due to people getting arch burned so they let the departments do taser training.

Also reason ETPA no longer does any PT is TCOLE came down and said it was cutting into the classroom time so they eliminated it. They would have to add another 2 weeks onto the schedule just to account for PT.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 53

Post by WildBill »

nightmare69 wrote:Did well on my tests, CCP: 92 A/S/S: 94

Started Penal Code today and should be done with it early next week. Found out we do NOT do taser training at the academy due to the cost of the cartridge. They said its 30 bucks a pop so they no longer do it. They can't use the alligator clips due to people getting arch burned so they let the departments do taser training.

Also reason ETPA no longer does any PT is TCOLE came down and said it was cutting into the classroom time so they eliminated it. They would have to add another 2 weeks onto the schedule just to account for PT.
:thumbs2: Keep up the good work!
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Thanks, forgot to post that last Friday we had a recruiter from Friendswood Tx come by the academy trying to get some of us to miss a whole day of class to drive all the way to Friendswood to take a aptitude test. They have 4 positions open and are looking for officers. Im sorry, no way am I missing a entire day of class that I will have to make up the hours to take a test. I told him that Dallas PD came by and they require tests also but the difference is they are holding a local testing sight in the evening so we don't have to miss any class. If they really wanted us to test then they should do the same, to bad he wasted his time driving up there.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 43

Post by Excaliber »

You're off to a really good start.

Keep up the good work!
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Glad to hear agencies are coming by recruiting. Check the TML website as well. There are MANY jobs open across the state. You are correct not missing class. You can only miss so many days, and this early in IMO that would not be wise. Have fun. Reading this post brought back some fun memories many moons ago. I liked the EVOC aka driving course. That was FUN.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

I'm looking forward to driving and firearms week. We are rolling through penal code and almost to 30.06. May get there today, I'm eager to see if we discuss any of it cause it's well known that LEO don't know the details of CHL.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Keith B »

nightmare69 wrote:I'm looking forward to driving and firearms week. We are rolling through penal code and almost to 30.06. May get there today, I'm eager to see if we discuss any of it cause it's well known that SOME LEO don't know the details of CHL.
There, fixed it for you. There are many that do know the laws and rules, and even have CHL's themselves.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

nightmare69 wrote:Made a 97.5 on our big test over week material and made a 90 on the spelling test, I suck at spelling. The one question I missed was this...

Who is the most responsible for upholding the rights of the people>

A. Congress

B. Police Officers

C. Courts

D. D. A.'s office

I chose Congress and got it wrong, it was LEOs. They ask who was MOST responsible and IMO its our elected officials on Capital hill. If they continue to represent the people of the US then they must honor their oath to uphold the constitution. I guess Im wrong though.
I just started reading your thread and I'm enjoying it. I singled this post out because Congress has done more to violate the rights of the people than any other single group. It as gotten to where if Congress acts in any given way, the opposite of whatever they did is likely both the constitutional AND moral way. If you ever need a touchstone by which to monitor your own integrity, consider what a congressman would do in that situation, and then do the opposite of that. It's an almost failsafe method of integrity preservation.
"rlol"

I wish you continued good fortune on your chosen path.........and remember that Lady Fortune always smiles brightest at the best prepared.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

GeekwithaGun
Posts in topic: 1

Post by GeekwithaGun »

nightmare69 - I hope everything works out you make it through.

My nephew is currently at the Michigan State Police academy and yesterday 7 more recruits were cut due to test scores from the previous week. He's in his mid 30's and says some of the younger guys have had trouble with following instructions and that lack of attention affects all the recruits in a negative way (loss of privilages, etc.). He's been there 6 weeks and has 15 to go, 5 months total.
NRA Life Member

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

We talked about TPC 30.06 for less than 10mins. Now I know why a local officer thought a gun busters sign was good enough reason to arrest a CHL holder for criminal trespass.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 35

Post by mojo84 »

Yeah, I have several friends that are deputies that were fairly clueless when it comes to CHL and the motorist protection act. We've debated and a couple of them acknowledge they weren't up to speed and a couple refuse to acknowledge what the law says. Kind of scary and that is why I take such a hard line when it comes to cops exerting their authority improperly due to ignorance or power trip.

Like the guys on here said, the training provided in the academy is only a basis for you to build on. Good cops commit to knowing and properly enforcing the law even if they have to study on their own.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Kilgore college is trying to start up a associates degree(60hrs)in criminal justice geared towards cops who work full time. Most if it will be online but you will have to come in for arrest search and seizure and crime scene investigation. The ASS will be taught by the lead prosecuter for Gregg county and Texas ranger out of Palestine(Ronnie something) who teaches crime scene investigation to the Texas rangers will teach that part of the course. I would get 24hrs for going through the academy and would only have to get another 36hrs to get my degree. This is all if the college board approves this Monday evening, I hope they do.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

jmra
Posts in topic: 13

Post by jmra »

nightmare69 wrote:Kilgore college is trying to start up a associates degree(60hrs)in criminal justice geared towards cops who work full time. Most if it will be online but you will have to come in for arrest search and seizure and crime scene investigation. The ASS will be taught by the lead prosecuter for Gregg county and Texas ranger out of Palestine(Ronnie something) who teaches crime scene investigation to the Texas rangers will teach that part of the course. I would get 24hrs for going through the academy and would only have to get another 36hrs to get my degree. This is all if the college board approves this Monday evening, I hope they do.
I don't believe you are using the correct abbreviation for an associates degree. At least that's not the 3 letters I would want at the end of my name. :smilelol5:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

jmra wrote: I don't believe you are using the correct abbreviation for an associates degree. At least that's not the 3 letters I would want at the end of my name. :smilelol5:

Lol just saw it. It's the abbreviation for arrest search and seizure. Guess I should of done this A/S/S. On my phone and it's more work to add symbols.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”