Texting in theater sparks fatal shooting

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

CoffeeNut
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Texting in theater sparks fatal shooting

Post by CoffeeNut »

03Lightningrocks wrote:On a side note. This right here does not speak well for the .380 as a self defense weapon. This guy got shot in the chest but lived long enough that if he had been armed, would have had plenty of time to take the old cranker with him. Imagine shooting some BG hopped up on drugs. The guy would be all over you. Sure, he died, but meanwhile you have just been stabbed or even shot by a dead guy.
I disagree. The guy only fired once and then the firearm jammed at which point the shooter sat down and placed the weapon on his lap (according to the article I read). I've got 8 rounds of .380 in my Sig and 12 more on my belt.

In response to your hypothetical about the BG on drugs, If they don't respond to the first shot, they'll be sure to get the rest if necessary :tiphat:
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

WildBill
Posts in topic: 7

Post by WildBill »

DADE CITY, Fla. (AP) — A bail hearing for a retired Tampa police officer who fatally shot a man inside a movie theater during an argument over texting took a dramatic turn Friday: Prosecutors played a grainy video of the shooting and a recording of the defendant's police interview.

"If I had it to do over again, it would have never happened," Curtis Reeves told detectives. "But you don't get do-overs."

Reeves, 71, is charged with second-degree murder in the Jan. 13 killing of Chad Oulson, 43. At the end of the hearing, which provided glimpses of the strengths and weaknesses of prosecutors' case, the judge ordered Reeves held without bail until his trial.

According to the police interview, Reeves said Oulson hit him in the face, possibly with a cellphone, and he shot in self-defense. Yet other witnesses, including Reeves' wife, told authorities they never saw Oulson strike Reeves.

Vivian Reeves did tell police that Oulson stood up and leaned over toward her husband just before the shooting, and the video appears to show some sort of contact between the two men.

Reeves pleaded not guilty. If convicted, he could face a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years in prison.

http://www.chron.com/news/crime/article ... 213218.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Endowment Member

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 35

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

WildBill wrote:DADE CITY, Fla. (AP) — A bail hearing for a retired Tampa police officer who fatally shot a man inside a movie theater during an argument over texting took a dramatic turn Friday: Prosecutors played a grainy video of the shooting and a recording of the defendant's police interview.

"If I had it to do over again, it would have never happened," Curtis Reeves told detectives. "But you don't get do-overs."

Reeves, 71, is charged with second-degree murder in the Jan. 13 killing of Chad Oulson, 43. At the end of the hearing, which provided glimpses of the strengths and weaknesses of prosecutors' case, the judge ordered Reeves held without bail until his trial.

According to the police interview, Reeves said Oulson hit him in the face, possibly with a cellphone, and he shot in self-defense. Yet other witnesses, including Reeves' wife, told authorities they never saw Oulson strike Reeves.

Vivian Reeves did tell police that Oulson stood up and leaned over toward her husband just before the shooting, and the video appears to show some sort of contact between the two men.

Reeves pleaded not guilty. If convicted, he could face a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years in prison.

http://www.chron.com/news/crime/article ... 213218.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If that video shows that crazy old man initiated contact by standing up and leaning over the victim, it is not going to work out well for the crazy old BG. Maybe the story was wrong at first but how did popcorn become a cell phone? Sounds like crazy old BG is trying to make it sound as though he was in danger. I would love to read the crazy old guy is getting "special" treatment by his fellow inmates.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Oldgringo »

Old people shouldn't be allowed to go to movie theatres; especially, crazy old guys. If they're not 'necking', they're shooting up the place.

jmra
Posts in topic: 8

Post by jmra »

Oldgringo wrote:Old people shouldn't be allowed to go to movie theatres; especially, crazy old guys. If they're not 'necking', they're shooting up the place.
I think my $20 popcorn and drink would go flying through the air if I saw some crazy old guys necking in the theater. :shock:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Abraham
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Abraham »

Does everyone KNOW the geezer was completely, positively in the wrong or could he sincerely have felt threatened by the younger guy - given the disparity of force i.e., the younger guy could potentially and easily beat up the old guy?

Sure, the old guy could've kept quiet and simply tolerated the rudeness of the texting guy and perhaps all would've ended peacefully. Since he didn't tolerate the rudeness, spoke up, insults exchanged and at some point the O.G. thought, uh-oh I'm about to be pounded to a pulp and I'm too old/frail to take a beating.

Perhaps, now he feels dreadful guilt for having shot texting man and would have taken the beating were it possible to re-live the experience.

None of us were there to know how it actually led up to the shooting.

All we can do is speculate after the fact.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I wonder why they are denying bail.
Yes, he is charged with murder, but I don't see him as a big flight risk.
I guess maybe he could hide out for 10 years or so and never have to face trial.
NRA Endowment Member

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

03Lightningrocks wrote:If that video shows that crazy old man initiated contact by standing up and leaning over the victim, it is not going to work out well for the crazy old BG. Maybe the story was wrong at first but how did popcorn become a cell phone? Sounds like crazy old BG is trying to make it sound as though he was in danger. I would love to read the crazy old guy is getting "special" treatment by his fellow inmates.
I think you've got your wires crossed. It was the dead guy that stood up and leaned over the shooter. :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

gringo pistolero
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gringo pistolero »

Oldgringo wrote:Old people shouldn't be allowed to go to movie theatres; especially, crazy old guys.
I had similar thoughts the last time I saw a movie in Florida. :biggrinjester:
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

jmra wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:Old people shouldn't be allowed to go to movie theatres; especially, crazy old guys. If they're not 'necking', they're shooting up the place.
I think my $20 popcorn and drink would go flying through the air if I saw some crazy old guys necking in the theater. :shock:
"rlol" "rlol"

You guys! :smilelol5:
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

03Lightningrocks

The funny part is that we have a few on this forum who are actually trying to justify this crazy nuts actions. Get real :tiphat: We have people with intelligence reading this forum and you are going to make them think all gun owners have lost their minds. If we want to keep our right to defend ourselves, we can never support this kind of behavior.

You don't under any circumstances shoot a person over texting.

Crazy old guy is a danger to society. We cannot allow this lose cannon to run free so he can find someone else to start trouble with as an excuse to shoot them.
Last edited by 03Lightningrocks on Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

03Lightningrocks

WildBill wrote:I wonder why they are denying bail.
Yes, he is charged with murder, but I don't see him as a big flight risk.
I guess maybe he could hide out for 10 years or so and never have to face trial.
Yeah, or maybe he could decide to blast someone because they fail to signal at a traffic light.

03Lightningrocks

CHLLady wrote:
jmra wrote:
"rlol" "rlol"

You guys! :smilelol5:
In the past one would whip out their cell phone and record the video for you tube fame. After this incident it might be smarter to keep ones phone put away. ;-)

03Lightningrocks

Abraham wrote:Does everyone KNOW the geezer was completely, positively in the wrong or could he sincerely have felt threatened by the younger guy - given the disparity of force i.e., the younger guy could potentially and easily beat up the old guy?

Sure, the old guy could've kept quiet and simply tolerated the rudeness of the texting guy and perhaps all would've ended peacefully. Since he didn't tolerate the rudeness, spoke up, insults exchanged and at some point the O.G. thought, uh-oh I'm about to be pounded to a pulp and I'm too old/frail to take a beating.

Perhaps, now he feels dreadful guilt for having shot texting man and would have taken the beating were it possible to re-live the experience.

None of us were there to know how it actually led up to the shooting.

All we can do is speculate after the fact.
"Reeves "had confronted my husband several times, which my husband ignored and ignored and ignored. And it just got to a point where my husband spoke up," she said."

It matters not how frail, old, crippled or retarded you might be. We cannot instigate a confrontation and then use our guns to end it when we realize we have bit off more than we could chew.
Last edited by 03Lightningrocks on Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

03Lightningrocks

Pawpaw wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:If that video shows that crazy old man initiated contact by standing up and leaning over the victim, it is not going to work out well for the crazy old BG. Maybe the story was wrong at first but how did popcorn become a cell phone? Sounds like crazy old BG is trying to make it sound as though he was in danger. I would love to read the crazy old guy is getting "special" treatment by his fellow inmates.
I think you've got your wires crossed. It was the dead guy that stood up and leaned over the shooter. :tiphat:
After reading it again, I think we both got our wires crossed up. The story didn't say the video showed anyone leaned over anyone. It said Vivian,(crazy nuts wife), claimed the dead guy leaned toward her nut cake husband. Then the story said the video showed a confrontation but never said the video showed any contact or leaning. Sounds like the crazy old guys wife is trying to help justify her whacked out husband being a cowardly, cold blooded killer.

Vivian roasted her crazed killer husband with this statement.

Reeves' wife told a detective she didn't see Oulson strike her husband, but he told her he had been hit in the moments after the shooting.

Vivian Reeves also told detectives that Oulson used expletives, but didn't make any threats. She cried during the interview and said she didn't know why her husband fired the single shot.

Right here she testifies that she never saw what her husband claims happened. His cop training made him realized he shot an innocent man. He made up the hitting part to cover his rear end.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”