Went to a posted place tonight.....

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Taurus.40
Posts in topic: 6

Went to a posted place tonight.....

Post by Taurus.40 »

and went in any ways. It was a movie theater. They had the correct verbiage on the sign but the letters were only 1/2" tall. I almost put my gun back in the car but figured I would chance it. Other people do the samething I presume? Or go else where?
NRA member

MasterOfNone
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Went to a posted place tonight.....

Post by MasterOfNone »

I would not have seen the sign when entering because it was so small.
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

Topic author
Taurus.40

Post by Taurus.40 »

My son said "dad, you can't bring your gun in." I told him, it's alright, that sign doesn't apply to me because the letters were the wrong size. The whole sign was probably 10"x14". It was in both language's.
NRA member

Texsquatch

Post by Texsquatch »

Taurus.40 wrote:My son said "dad, you can't bring your gun in." I told him, it's alright, that sign doesn't apply to me because the letters were the wrong size. The whole sign was probably 10"x14". It was in both language's.
Haha, guess my boy isn't the only one calling out signs! I never had a direct conversation with him about singnage, but I guess he picked it up as I talked to family/friends about CHL. We were going to a hockey game and we were early, only about 6 people in line with us and he loudly claimed, "good thing you didn't bring your gun" as he pointed to the 30.06 above us. He used to point out gun buster and unlawful possession signs and say, "I'm glad you have a license". I had a talk with him about being discreet and that this was our secret. He handles it much better now, doesn't even take a second glance if he sees me grab my handgun. We even joke when we go to his grandmother's (my MIL) house and he says, "Dad, better grab your gun". My wife doesn't think it's funny, but she's CHL too, so she gets it.

I try not to desensitize him to the fact that we carry, but he is definitely aware and I think it helps with his own situational awareness.

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

Taurus.40 wrote:and went in any ways. It was a movie theater. They had the correct verbiage on the sign but the letters were only 1/2" tall. I almost put my gun back in the car but figured I would chance it. Other people do the samething I presume? Or go else where?
I do not doubt you at all, but I am curious how you know the letters were 1/2" tall? Eyeball, measuring tape (had a renewal student once tell me he did that often ), etc...
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

jbarn wrote:
Taurus.40 wrote:and went in any ways. It was a movie theater. They had the correct verbiage on the sign but the letters were only 1/2" tall. I almost put my gun back in the car but figured I would chance it. Other people do the samething I presume? Or go else where?
I do not doubt you at all, but I am curious how you know the letters were 1/2" tall? Eyeball, measuring tape (had a renewal student once tell me he did that often ), etc...
I'll bet it was AMC.

Here is one I saw at an AMC. Notice the letters are about the width of my finger and it is on an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper.

-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Grillmark55
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Grillmark55 »

That would probably be one of those instances where I either 1) didn't go into the theater (or other place of business) or 2) take my firearm back to my vehicle, lock it up and go in.

There have been several times that I think "I'm going to carry anyway because the sign is the wrong size; has a spelling error; is hidden behind a stack of merchandise outside a store (not in plain sight); isn't contrasting colors". Then the other voice says "OK, and if you DO get caught, you are going to enjoy a ride in a cop car, you are going to have to inconvenience your wife by having her follow you to the station, you are going to have to hire a lawyer - and a really good one since the excuses you used may or may not get you off depending on the judge that you go before, if you DO loose your case, you have lost your CHL and you will never have to make that decision again".

I know that some people may say "Quit worrying so much and just exercise your right, you won't get caught", but I tend to think that I would rather follow the intent of the law in these instances and KEEP my CHL AND firearms. I know that there are plenty of people who like to be "in your face" with their gun rights, but in gun-grabbing climate these days, I don't see that as an affective argument for persuading gun-grabbers that we have the right to bear arms.
A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

Grillmark55 wrote:That would probably be one of those instances where I either 1) didn't go into the theater (or other place of business) or 2) take my firearm back to my vehicle, lock it up and go in.

There have been several times that I think "I'm going to carry anyway because the sign is the wrong size; has a spelling error; is hidden behind a stack of merchandise outside a store (not in plain sight); isn't contrasting colors". Then the other voice says "OK, and if you DO get caught, you are going to enjoy a ride in a cop car, you are going to have to inconvenience your wife by having her follow you to the station, you are going to have to hire a lawyer - and a really good one since the excuses you used may or may not get you off depending on the judge that you go before, if you DO loose your case, you have lost your CHL and you will never have to make that decision again".

I know that some people may say "Quit worrying so much and just exercise your right, you won't get caught", but I tend to think that I would rather follow the intent of the law in these instances and KEEP my CHL AND firearms. I know that there are plenty of people who like to be "in your face" with their gun rights, but in gun-grabbing climate these days, I don't see that as an affective argument for persuading gun-grabbers that we have the right to bear arms.
:iagree: If I'm by myself, I would not go in and find an alternate business. If with my family, probably would go back and disarm or just wait for them depending on how long they were going to be inside. In the case of a movie theater, its a moot point because I haven't been to a movie theater in about 15 years. :mrgreen:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

jmra

Post by jmra »

txglock21 wrote:
Grillmark55 wrote:That would probably be one of those instances where I either 1) didn't go into the theater (or other place of business) or 2) take my firearm back to my vehicle, lock it up and go in.

:iagree: If I'm by myself, I would not go in and find an alternate business. If with my family, probably would go back and disarm or just wait for them depending on how long they were going to be inside. In the case of a movie theater, its a moot point because I haven't been to a movie theater in about 15 years. :mrgreen:
:iagree:
What I have found to be legally black and white has often been considered grey by the court system. I don't have enough money to convince them I'm right.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

I had already paid for the ticket. The sign was inside the theater, not outside or visible before purchasing a ticket.

I carried into the theater anyway. However, I never went back.

In general, I am willing to exercise my rights and I have the financial resources to mount an effective defense if required. In the sign I posted, it clearly is not a valid 30.06 sign and I had zero guilt or concern with carrying.

Your mileage can obviously vary. Life is replete with choices.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

GlockDude26

Post by GlockDude26 »

Grillmark55 wrote: I know that there are plenty of people who like to be "in your face" with their gun rights, but in gun-grabbing climate these days, I don't see that as an affective argument for persuading gun-grabbers that we have the right to bear arms.
that is exactly the problem, why do we have to PERSUADE anybody that we HAVE RIGHTS?????
"Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun, you might em both if you show up here not welcome son" Josh Thompson- Way out here (best song ever) "eventually all citizens will become criminals with enough legislation....."

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

Jumping Frog wrote:I had already paid for the ticket. The sign was inside the theater, not outside or visible before purchasing a ticket.

In general, I am willing to exercise my rights and I have the financial resources to mount an effective defense if required. In the sign I posted, it clearly is not a valid 30.06 sign and I had zero guilt or concern with carrying.

Your mileage can obviously vary. Life is replete with choices.
I wasn't jumping on you or what you did. In fact, in that situation, I would have done the same. I was just saying "in general", that's my own personal way. :cheers2:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

o b juan

Post by o b juan »

what do you mean never went back?
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

Grillmark55
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Grillmark55 »

Ultra_Solo_Sig_0904 wrote:
Grillmark55 wrote: I know that there are plenty of people who like to be "in your face" with their gun rights, but in gun-grabbing climate these days, I don't see that as an affective argument for persuading gun-grabbers that we have the right to bear arms.
that is exactly the problem, why do we have to PERSUADE anybody that we HAVE RIGHTS?????
I agree with you 100% - we shouldn't have to fight to keep what has already been given to us - and defended with blood and precious lives. Unfortunately, there are too many simple-minded people in Washington and State Governments who are afraid of guns, and their message - as wrong and hateful as it is - is getting out and persuading people that guns, and honest people with guns, are evil. Why add fuel to their fire?

It still puzzles me (sort of) that NOT ONE of these trolls in DC or New York or California has the guts to stand up and say that gangs and ILLEGAL gun possession is the problem and that keeping guns in the hands of RESPONSIBLE gun owners IS a solution. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Topic author
Taurus.40

Post by Taurus.40 »

jbarn wrote:
Eyeballing. I use a tape measure everyday at work and have so since 96.
NRA member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”