What's your EDC knife?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 2

Re: What's your EDC knife?

Post by LSUTiger »

Cold Steel Voyager XL Tanto Folder (5.5")

As for as I know it might be legal in SA? Discuss.

Sec. 21-17. Certain knives prohibited generally; exceptions; penalty for violation.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to intentionally or knowingly carry on or about his person a knife with a blade less than five and one-half (5 1/2) inches in length, which knife is equipped with a lock mechanism so that upon opening, it becomes a fixed blade knife.
(b) The above prohibition set forth in subsection (a) shall not be applicable to a person carrying such a knife:
(1) In the actual discharge of his duties as a peace officer, a member of the armed forces or national guard, or a guard employed by a penal institution;
(2) On his own premises or premises under his control;
(3) Traveling;
(4) Engaged in lawful hunting, fishing or other lawful sporting activity; or
(5) Using such a knife in connection with a lawful occupation, during such utilization.
Sec. 21-155. Possession of knife.
It shall be unlawful for any person under the age of seventeen (17) to possess or carry any knife on a public roadway or public right-of-way; on any other property in which a governmental entity has an interest; or on private property without the permission of the owner or the person in control of the property within the city limits of the City of San Antonio.

It's has a 5.5" blade so it is not less than 5.5 " so I am sure it can also have a locking blade which it does.

(6) “Illegal Knife” means a:
(A) knife with a blade over five and one half inches;
Rainer v. State, 763 S.W.2d 615 (Tex. App.-Eastland 1989, pet. ref’d) To determine
length, measure entire length of blade past handle, not just the sharpened portion of the
blade. Same result in McMurrough v. State, 995 S.W.2d 944 (Tex. App.-Ft. Worth 1999).
(B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
Albert v. State, 659 S.W.2d 41 (Tex. App.-Houston [14
th
Dist.] 1983, pet. ref’d) Martial
arts throwing star qualifies as “a hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being
thrown”.
(C) dagger including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;
Armendariz v. State, 396 S.W.2d 132 (Tex. Crim. App. 1965) A knife slightly over seven
inches in length when open, equipped with a double guard, blade that locks open and is
sharpened on both sides of blade for over an inch meets the definition of a dagger.
(D) bowie knife; Mireles v. State, 192 S.W. 241 (Tex. Crim. App. 1917) A knife in a scabbard with a blade
nine inches long and a handle four or five inches long described as a butcher knife was
embraced in the term “bowie knife” as defined by the Penal Code.
(E) sword; or
(F) spear.
(7) “Knife” means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious
bodily injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with the instrument.

It's not over 5.5", so it doesnt break Texas law.

Is this a legal loophole
?
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

stevem

Post by stevem »

LSUTiger wrote:Is this a legal loophole[/b]?
Yes, but you can bet it will cost you at least a ride downtown to prove it.

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JALLEN »

I have had, and used, a SOG Flash II for several years, quite satisfactorily.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

stevem wrote:
LSUTiger wrote:Is this a legal loophole[/b]?
Yes, but you can bet it will cost you at least a ride downtown to prove it.
As far as beating the rap but not the ride, the same can be said of justifiably using a firearm in self-defense, both are chances I'm willing to take. ;-)
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

bauer

Post by bauer »

I keep it simple and cheap (I am known to lose these kinds of things pretty easy).

R.I.P SSG Ward 6 Apr 2013
"Garry Owen"

68Charger
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 68Charger »

LSUTiger wrote:Cold Steel Voyager XL Tanto Folder (5.5")

Sec. 21-17. Certain knives prohibited generally; exceptions; penalty for violation.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to intentionally or knowingly carry on or about his person a knife with a blade less than five and one-half (5 1/2) inches in length, which knife is equipped with a lock mechanism so that upon opening, it becomes a fixed blade knife.
(b) The above prohibition set forth in subsection (a) shall not be applicable to a person carrying such a knife:
(1) In the actual discharge of his duties as a peace officer, a member of the armed forces or national guard, or a guard employed by a penal institution;
(3) Traveling;
(5) Using such a knife in connection with a lawful occupation, during such utilization.
It shall be unlawful for any person under the age of seventeen (17) to possess or carry any knife on a public roadway or public right-of-way; on any other property in which a governmental entity has an interest; or on private property without the permission of the owner or the person in control of the property within the city limits of the City of San Antonio.

It's has a 5.5" blade so it is not less than 5.5 " so I am sure it can also have a locking blade which it does.

Rainer v. State, 763 S.W.2d 615 (Tex. App.-Eastland 1989, pet. ref’d) To determine
length, measure entire length of blade past handle, not just the sharpened portion of the
blade. Same result in McMurrough v. State, 995 S.W.2d 944 (Tex. App.-Ft. Worth 1999).
th
arts throwing star qualifies as “a hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being
thrown”.
Armendariz v. State, 396 S.W.2d 132 (Tex. Crim. App. 1965) A knife slightly over seven
inches in length when open, equipped with a double guard, blade that locks open and is
sharpened on both sides of blade for over an inch meets the definition of a dagger.
(D) bowie knife; Mireles v. State, 192 S.W. 241 (Tex. Crim. App. 1917) A knife in a scabbard with a blade
nine inches long and a handle four or five inches long described as a butcher knife was
(E) sword; or
(F) spear.
(7) “Knife” means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious

Is this a legal loophole
?
It's a lock blade. So no. Though I've carry plenty of lock blades (look at my pic in this thread) and I work with the public. I talk to plenty of SAPD and show my knife a lot around them (when applicable) and gotten plenty of comments on them liking it (SOG Vulcan) and have never had any trouble with them. So, it's a YMMV thing.

Also when I was at oyster bake, I had left my gun at home and took the park and ride. When I go to St. Mary's I forgot I had my knife on me when they waved the metal detector. They saw it and showed it to fellow officers asking where I got it. They gave it back and told me to have fun. I don't know if because a lot of DHS was there and they thought it was safe or what? (This was shortly after the whole Boston thing happened)

Just proceed with caution.
We don't need no stinking badges!

C-dub
Posts in topic: 6

Post by C-dub »

68Charger wrote:

(3) Traveling;

th
thrown”.
(E) sword; or
(F) spear.

Is this a legal loophole
?
It's a lock blade. So no.
Why do you say this? It's not over 5.5", so it's okay according to the state. And it's not under 5.5", which is San Antonio's qualifier for their prohibition of locking blades. They don't have an outright ban on locking blades. However, I do agree that YMMV. :thumbs2:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

68Charger
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 68Charger »

C-dub wrote:
68Charger wrote:

(3) Traveling;

th
thrown”.
(E) sword; or
(F) spear.

Is this a legal loophole
?
It's a lock blade. So no.
Why do you say this? It's not over 5.5", so it's okay according to the state. And it's not under 5.5", which is San Antonio's qualifier for their prohibition of locking blades. They don't have an outright ban on locking blades. However, I do agree that YMMV. :thumbs2:
Haha.. Yeah, I'm not one to rage against the machine. I'll sit on the sidelines on this one. I sure as heck would rather spend my money on guns and ammo than a lawyer. ;p :mrgreen:
We don't need no stinking badges!

AddyLO
Posts in topic: 4

Post by AddyLO »

It's about time this thread was resurrected.

I can't believe there's so little discussion about knives here. I'm sure you guys and gals carry more knives than are shown in this thread. Let's see 'em!

Spyderco Para Military 2

Benchmade 710

SATX-Scrub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SATX-Scrub »

I'm not sure which I like better, my monogrammed Benchmade or my Saddleback.

“He looked like an accountant or a serial-killer type. Definitely one of the service industries.”
― Kinky Friedman, Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-Cola
http://atomicnumber13.blogspot.com/

AddyLO

Post by AddyLO »

One more. My latest acquisition, a William Henry E10.

SATX-Scrub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SATX-Scrub »

Beautiful piece of art AddyLo!
“He looked like an accountant or a serial-killer type. Definitely one of the service industries.”
― Kinky Friedman, Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-Cola
http://atomicnumber13.blogspot.com/

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

All of these years I have not had a EDC knife. I bought this Benchmade HK 14850 Epidemic double-action out-the-front switchblade from another Forum member several months ago and I have not had one day that I have not carried it. I have learned that a knife makes your life a little easier. I can't believe it took me sooooo long to catch on to this.
I am glad the thread was resurrected.

AddyLO

Post by AddyLO »

I can relate. I used to carry a small junk drawer Buck but lost it and carried nothing for years. Then I got interested in modern folders (Spyderco Tenacious was my first) and began collecting and carrying them. I don't know how I got by for so many years without one. I use my EDC everyday. I now own around 40+ knives, counting folders and fixed blades, but seem to only rotate between 4 or 5. I should probably sell off a few of the unused ones.

The knife was one of the first tools discovered by man and to this day has never lost its usefulness.

nightmare
Deactivated until real name is provided

Post by nightmare »

I got a ZT 301 for Chrismas and it's my frequent companion.
Equo ne credite, Teucri. Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

Return to “Off-Topic”