Enhanced CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
rp_photo
Posts in topic: 9

Enhanced CHL

Post by rp_photo »

I was thinking to myself today about the concept of Enhanced CHL that would afford privileges somewhere between Peace Officer and regular CHL. Extended privledges could include things such as being able to carry in off-limits places like bars and schools, being exempt from 30.06, being able to open carry, 50-state reciprocity, and being more prepared to act offensively, i.e. come to the aid of others.

It would seem to me that ECHL's could fill a valuable role in society. Has any though ever been given to this?
Last edited by rp_photo on Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

o b juan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Enhanced CHL

Post by o b juan »

HUH?? :headscratch
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

Topic author
rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

o b juan wrote:HUH?? :headscratch
"Huh?" back at you. How was I not clear?
CHL since 2/2011

jbarn
Posts in topic: 8

Post by jbarn »

rp_photo wrote:I was thinking to myself today about the concept of Enhanced CHL that would afford privileges somewhere between Peace Officer and regular CHL. Extended privledges could include things such as being able to carry in off-limits places such as bars and schools, being exempt from 30.06, being able to open carry, 50-state reciprocity, and being more prepared to act offensively, i.e. come to the aid of others.

It would seem to me that ECHL's could fill a valuable role in society. Has any though ever been given to this?

I would not support any law that allowed persons to disregard my private property rights.

If you license open carry or have special privileges for open carry for only certain persons, don't you allow LE to stop you and verify the status of that license or special privilege?

How do you anticipate creating 50 state reciprocity? What "role" do you see these enhanced CHL's filling that would be valuable? Like Junior non paid cops? :nono:
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Topic author
rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

jbarn wrote:
rp_photo wrote:I was thinking to myself today about the concept of Enhanced CHL that would afford privileges somewhere between Peace Officer and regular CHL. Extended privileges could include things such as being able to carry in off-limits places such as bars and schools, being exempt from 30.06, being able to open carry, 50-state reciprocity, and being more prepared to act offensively, i.e. come to the aid of others.

I would not support any law that allowed persons to disregard my private property rights.

If you license open carry or have special privileges for open carry for only certain persons, don't you allow LE to stop you and verify the status of that license or special privilege?

How do you anticipate creating 50 state reciprocity? What "role" do you see these enhanced CHL's filling that would be valuable? Like Junior non paid cops? :nono:
Just a vague concept that I thought would make for good discussion. I would definitely not be in favor of any additional investigative or arrest powers. And I agree that being able to open carry in places where a regular CHL can't isn't practical, as that would defeat the purpose of them blending in just like regular CHL's. Also, the 50-state reciprocity may be unworkable.

I envision an ECHL as being a regular armed citizen who can carry in a few more places and is better-trained.
CHL since 2/2011

Robert*PPS

Post by Robert*PPS »

I haven't given any thought to something like that, but I can see some issues with it right off the bat. Property rights being usurped, as mentioned above. Also, think of how the CHL badgers would act if they had an ECHL? They be wearing capes and masks and making up funny names for themselves....

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

No, no I haven't.

Topic author
rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

Robert*PPS wrote:I haven't given any thought to something like that, but I can see some issues with it right off the bat. Property rights being usurped, as mentioned above. Also, think of how the CHL badgers would act if they had an ECHL? They be wearing capes and masks and making up funny names for themselves....
Some antis thought the same thing would happen with regular CHL's.

That being said, George Zimmerman is a good example of a bad ECHL.
CHL since 2/2011

Topic author
rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

School security volunteers are good example of where ECHL could be meaningful. The extra training and screening required could be part of the ECHL approval process:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=71136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by rp_photo on Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHL since 2/2011

mojo84
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mojo84 »

Are you talking like ECHL grants "batman" powers?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

mojo84 wrote:Are you talking like ECHL grants "batman" powers?
No, and I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

Armed school security volunteers are good example of where ECHL could be applicable. The extra training and screening required could be part of the ECHL approval process:

CHL since 2/2011

mojo84
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mojo84 »

I definitely intended that solely as a joke. I should have put the joker smiley thing. Sorry if I offended you.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

jmra
Posts in topic: 7

Post by jmra »

rp_photo wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Are you talking like ECHL grants "batman" powers?
No, and I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

Armed school security volunteers are good example of where ECHL could be applicable. The extra training and screening required could be part of the ECHL approval process:

If they are armed and acting in the role of providing security they would have to be licensed security officers.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

mojo84 wrote:I definitely intended that solely as a joke. I should have put the joker smiley thing. Sorry if I offended you.
No problem. I would have called it "Super CHL" / SCHL for that to be the case :)
CHL since 2/2011

A-R

Post by A-R »

I definitely like the idea of ECHL (or just CHL) that removed most/all of the statutory off-limits locations.

But any enhanced duty/ability to "act offensively" is already available with a security license. No level of CHL should grant duty nor ability to do anything more than self-defense and existing defense of others. The ability to "act offensively" (if I understand your meaning) with a firearm requires a much greater understanding and commitment than any CHL type training can or should offer. Part of that commitment is dedicating a part of your life/livelihood to that pursuit.

That said, some relaxation of security rules to allow CHLs to better organize/prepare to sheepdog as a group at a church or even a school is worthwhile.

50-state reciprocity is a Federal issue (only the Feds could conceivably have the power to grant/enforce such ability).

Open carry? Agree it's an all or none issue for the reason stated above ( unless you're literally going to hand out special ECHL/OC badges)

30.06 is a touchy issue. I personally don't think a business open to the public should be allowed to dictate what I wear under my clothing. But some can't seem to separate this issue from the broader property rights issue.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”