EDC of a fixed-blade knife in the pocket

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 5

EDC of a fixed-blade knife in the pocket

Post by Crash »

Is it legal in Texas to carry a fixed-blade knife in one's pocket? If so, what would be the best one?

jbarn
Posts in topic: 4

Re: EDC of a fixed-blade knife in the pocket

Post by jbarn »

Crash wrote:Is it legal in Texas to carry a fixed-blade knife in one's pocket? If so, what would be the best one?
As long as the blade is not double edged or over 5 and 1/2 inches in length, there is no state law prohibiting it.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

jbarn wrote:As long as the blade is not double edged or over 5 and 1/2 inches in length, there is no state law prohibiting it.
.... double edged , over 5 and 1/2 inches, or shaped like a bowie knife. :tiphat:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Jumping Frog wrote:
jbarn wrote:As long as the blade is not double edged or over 5 and 1/2 inches in length, there is no state law prohibiting it.
.... double edged , over 5 and 1/2 inches, or shaped like a bowie knife. :tiphat:
Thank you. I'm still ticked that my Baby K-Bar sits in my gun cabinet because of this senseless and useless technicality of the law.

hillfighter
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by hillfighter »

Crash wrote:Is it legal in Texas to carry a fixed-blade knife in one's pocket?
Carrying a fixed blade knife is as legal as carrying an AR15. What's best, or even good, depends on the use.
"support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic"

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

hillfighter wrote:
Crash wrote:Is it legal in Texas to carry a fixed-blade knife in one's pocket?
Carrying a fixed blade knife is as legal as carrying an AR15. What's best, or even good, depends on the use.
Also how big is your pocket.
NRA Endowment Member

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

Make sure you use a sheath... :shock: :cryin

"rlol"
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

TBJK

Post by TBJK »

I intend on carrying a Ka-Bar in a sheath in the middle of my back since my company will not allow firearms. Problem is its hard for me to decide which one is like. I like the Mark 1, short Ka-bar USMC or Short Ka-bar Black.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

TBJK wrote:I intend on carrying a Ka-Bar in a sheath in the middle of my back since my company will not allow firearms. Problem is its hard for me to decide which one is like. I like the Mark 1, short Ka-bar USMC or Short Ka-bar Black.
Good luck with that. My comment above is in reference to the line in Texas Penal Code that prohibits the carry of "bowie" knives, notice the little b there. That means that if it can be construed as being shaped like a Bowie knife, then it is prohibited to carry said knife, even if the other criteria are met. You might carry it your whole life and never have a problem...or you might be stopped for something and the LEO doesn't like you carrying that and you get a weapons charge against you. And you may beat the weapons charge, but its going to cost you.

Exerpt from TPC 46.01:
6) "Illegal knife" means a:

(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;

(B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;

(C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;

(D) bowie knife;

(E) sword; or

(F) spear.

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

K.Mooneyham wrote:
TBJK wrote:I intend on carrying a Ka-Bar in a sheath in the middle of my back since my company will not allow firearms. Problem is its hard for me to decide which one is like. I like the Mark 1, short Ka-bar USMC or Short Ka-bar Black.
Good luck with that. My comment above is in reference to the line in Texas Penal Code that prohibits the carry of "bowie" knives, notice the little b there. That means that if it can be construed as being shaped like a Bowie knife, then it is prohibited to carry said knife, even if the other criteria are met. You might carry it your whole life and never have a problem...or you might be stopped for something and the LEO doesn't like you carrying that and you get a weapons charge against you. And you may beat the weapons charge, but its going to cost you.

Exerpt from TPC 46.01:

(D) bowie knife;

(E) sword; or

(F) spear.

I am very interested in this. Do you have any cases you can reference that a small bladed knife was determined to be a Bowie Knife?

Do you know of an accepted description of a Bowie Knife

TIA
Texas CHL Instructor

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

jbarn wrote:
K.Mooneyham wrote:

Exerpt from TPC 46.01:

(D) bowie knife;

(E) sword; or

(F) spear.

I am very interested in this. Do you have any cases you can reference that a small bladed knife was determined to be a Bowie Knife?

TIA
First of all I am not a lawyer so I am not offering legal advice.

There is some old case law, but IANAL so I don't know how this relates to current laws. It's not very specific, but
Art. 1161. [1027] [606] [501] "Bowie-knife" and "dag-ger".-A "bowie-knife" or "dagger" as here and elsewhere used
means any knife intended to be worn upon the person which is capable of inflicting death and not commonly known as a pocket
knife.
I have also read that a bowie knife has a double guard [between the knife blade and handle]. I think that this characteristic of the knife, rather than the size and shape of the blade determines if is a meets the definition of bowie knife. It still seems to me to be very subjective.

In modern culture, it may be like the Crocodile Dundee scene "This is a knife!" IMO, the law against bowie knives appears to have a stem from the believe that gentlemen can carry pocket knifes, but only a low class person would carry a knife that is designed to inflict death.

Bowie knives were the equivalent of high capacity assault rifles in the early 1900s.
NRA Endowment Member

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

WildBill wrote:
jbarn wrote:
K.Mooneyham wrote:

Exerpt from TPC 46.01:

(D) bowie knife;

(E) sword; or

(F) spear.

TIA
First of all I am not a lawyer so I am not offering legal advice.

There is some old case law, but IANAL so I don't know how this relates to current laws. It's not very specific, but
Art. 1161. [1027] [606] [501] "Bowie-knife" and "dag-ger".-A "bowie-knife" or "dagger" as here and elsewhere used
means any knife intended to be worn upon the person which is capable of inflicting death and not commonly known as a pocket
knife.
I have also read that a bowie knife has a double guard [between the knife blade and handle]. I think that this characteristic of the knife, rather than the size and shape of the blade determines if is a meets the definition of bowie knife. It still seems to me to be very subjective.

In modern culture, it may be like the Crocodile Dundee scene "This is a knife!" IMO, the law against bowie knives appears to have a stem from the believe that gentlemen can carry pocket knifes, but only a low class person would carry a knife that is designed to inflict death.

Bowie knives were the equivalent of high capacity assault rifles in the early 1900s.

Thanks. Good info
Texas CHL Instructor

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

I've been carrying 4-5.5" (& occasionally longer...) fixed blades in a sheath hanging from my belt & tucked into the front edge of my left rear pocket for a while. Behind that I have a flashlight & then a spare mag. Some knives don't fit in some pants, so I use different ones for different occasions. I like that position sorta similar to the TDI Ka-Bar idea. The knife can be drawn very quickly to defend against a potential gun grab or if the situation calls for something more personal than a gun...

AdamJ1555

Post by AdamJ1555 »

No spears?!?!? No spears?!?!?!?

What a horrible law!
NRA Member
Glock 19 G4
CHL App Submitted: 12/17/13
Plastic In Hand: 2/11/14

snorri

Post by snorri »

AdamJ1555 wrote:No spears?!?!? No spears?!?!?!?
Don't worry. There's a hunting exception if you want to use them for boar.
minatur innocentibus qui parcit nocentibus

RED FLAG LAWS ARE HATE CRIMES

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”