Texting in theater sparks fatal shooting

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 35

Re: Texting in theater sparks fatal shooting

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I have to say. This shooting has caused me to replay that incident in my mind over and over again. Because of this, I am definitely going to take it down a notch. Silly disagreements are not worth getting shot over or having to shoot someone else. Until now, I am not kidding, I would have never expected a person to resort to gun play over something so simple. Then again, I would never throw something, including a bag of popcorn, at someone either. For one thing, the stuff cost too much to be throwing it around. I keep thinking to myself. What would have happened if he had said, ok let's go, and then shot me when I stood up. Yep... I am going to work on some self improvement in this area.

On a side note. This right here does not speak well for the .380 as a self defense weapon. This guy got shot in the chest but lived long enough that if he had been armed, would have had plenty of time to take the old cranker with him. Imagine shooting some BG hopped up on drugs. The guy would be all over you. Sure, he died, but meanwhile you have just been stabbed or even shot by a dead guy.

jmra
Posts in topic: 8

Post by jmra »

03Lightningrocks wrote:"Abraham snip"
I am going to work on some self improvement in this area

:iagree: In the past, my wife would often place her hand on my arm and say, "Sticks and stones honey". I would then turn to her and say, "I'm not a 5 year old". To which she would respond, "Then stop acting like one". That would usually do the trick.
Then she figured out I was much better behaved while carrying. So now when we go some place, she makes it a point to ask if I'm carrying. I reply, "Of course" to which she replies but exhaling a sigh of relief.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

WildBill
Posts in topic: 7

Post by WildBill »

jmra wrote:

:iagree: In the past, my wife would often place her hand on my arm and say, "Sticks and stones honey". I would then turn to her and say, "I'm not a 5 year old". To which she would respond, "Then stop acting like one". That would usually do the trick.
Then she figured out I was much better behaved while carrying. So now when we go some place, she makes it a point to ask if I'm carrying. I reply, "Of course" to which she replies but exhaling a sigh of relief.
My CHL instructor told us that the CHL was a license to eat crow.
NRA Endowment Member

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

03Lightningrocks wrote:Y'all think that is bad, you should hear her when I eat chicken fried steak! :lol: I admit it. The whole thing was dumb. I should never have said "You and me...Outside" but that was my first thought when he called me that name. I probably should have just acted like I didn't hear him say it.

It is funny when your kids start acting like your parents. "Don't eat that, it's bad for you" . "You need to exercise more" . I turned my phone off one day a few weeks back and forgot about it. She sent my SIL to the house to make sure I hadn't had a heart attack. When I answer the door he says, your daughter made me come over here and tell you to turn your phone back on. I guess she loves me. :mrgreen: I don't know why either. :smilelol5:

That's so sweet of her to be concerned for you. Funny how cell phone are now extensions of ourselves.

Well, the fact that this incident has changed your way of thinking is a very good thing. If we can learn from other people's experiences, we are all the better for it.
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

PhillRoath
Posts in topic: 3

Post by PhillRoath »

VMI77 wrote:
PhillRoath wrote:Of course, this is simply not true as "stand your ground" was not used by the defense in that case. The entire article seems to be an attack on concealed carry and mentions John Cornyn's measure for concealed carry in all states.
If you're looking for the truth about anything you shouldn't be wasting your time reading newspapers.
:iagree: You're right - I just got caught up with the front page story. :thumbs2:

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Beiruty »

WildBill wrote:
jmra wrote:

Is he sure, I thought I have heard once in a blue moon, CHL, "Come and Have a Lunch"
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

Oops! Double post! :oops:
Last edited by CHLLady on Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

PhillRoath
Posts in topic: 3

Post by PhillRoath »

03Lightningrocks wrote:On a side note. This right here does not speak well for the .380 as a self defense weapon. This guy got shot in the chest but lived long enough that if he had been armed, would have had plenty of time to take the old cranker with him. Imagine shooting some BG hopped up on drugs. The guy would be all over you. Sure, he died, but meanwhile you have just been stabbed or even shot by a dead guy.
Good point. Didn't he actually speak to someone after he fell? I carry a .380 but only at home and it's purpose is to aid me in getting to the gun safe and a condition one 1911 .45 ACP.

WildBill wrote:My CHL instructor told us that the CHL was a license to eat crow.
Don't remember if anyone ever said that to me, but it has been my experience that when a situation starts to escalate, my sidearm seems to start increasing in weight. I am very conscious of that and tend to apologize even when I think I am in the right.

I have been legally carrying since 1995. :woohoo

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Beiruty wrote:
WildBill wrote:
jmra wrote:

Is he sure, I thought I have heard once in a blue moon, CHL, "Come and Have a Lunch"
Beiruty - Sorry, I don't understand your statement.
NRA Endowment Member

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

Meaning eat some lead?

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Beiruty »

CHLLady wrote:Meaning eat some lead?
I heard also it means, "Come and Hunt a Liberal". However, it is too offensive and I do not support or condone any kind of unjustified homicide. So this message would self-destruct in 1-min.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

03Lightningrocks

WildBill wrote:
jmra wrote:

That is a great way to think of it wildbill. Something I constantly keep in mind is that if I instigate a conflict and end up having to shoot a person, I am going to jail for a very long time... or worse. Asking that guy to step outside could have easily made me out the aggressor from a situation he instigated.

Along with liking the hilarious response from your wife JMRA, I liked that you did an "Abraham". Maybe we can get something new started here. :mrgreen:

03Lightningrocks

PhillRoath wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:On a side note. This right here does not speak well for the .380 as a self defense weapon. This guy got shot in the chest but lived long enough that if he had been armed, would have had plenty of time to take the old cranker with him. Imagine shooting some BG hopped up on drugs. The guy would be all over you. Sure, he died, but meanwhile you have just been stabbed or even shot by a dead guy.
Good point. Didn't he actually speak to someone after he fell? I carry a .380 but only at home and it's purpose is to aid me in getting to the gun safe and a condition one 1911 .45 ACP.

WildBill wrote:My CHL instructor told us that the CHL was a license to eat crow.
Don't remember if anyone ever said that to me, but it has been my experience that when a situation starts to escalate, my sidearm seems to start increasing in weight. I am very conscious of that and tend to apologize even when I think I am in the right.

I have been legally carrying since 1995. :woohoo
Yeah... His last words were to the shooter... He said... "I can't believe I just got shot". That was the way I read it in a news story. Rather haunting when you consider that all of us would probably think the same thing if we got shot by a person we were simply arguing with. I will bet that most of us would never expect a person to pull out a gun and shoot us for throwing popcorn at them. Granted, most of us would not likely had thrown the popcorn but just the same, shooting a person for this is way over the top.

hillfighter
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by hillfighter »

It's a bit like real estate. Location, location, location.
"support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic"

03Lightningrocks

My daughter just texted and suggested we do a movie tomorrow. I'm not allowed to text or talk in the theater. I am not sure if she was kidding about that last part. :???: :smilelol5:

Return to “The Crime Blotter”