Texas CHL Laws

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
texascomp
Posts in topic: 5

Texas CHL Laws

Post by texascomp »

Can anyone say they have read every section of the TX CHL laws?

I mean cmom....that is some heavy duty reading. :banghead: :eek6
I know you have to check off saying that you read every provision when you do the TX CHL application but can anyone say they have actually done that? I know you got read the important parts but everything? :shock: :headscratch :confused5

Thoughts??? :waiting: :bigear:

steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Texas CHL Laws

Post by steveincowtown »

Nice first post and welcome to the forum.

Yes I have read all the statues from front to back, many, many times.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

Have read them numerous times, including before I was an instructor. If a person is not willing to read the laws and familiarize themselves with them, then in my opinion they don't have the commitment to try and follow the laws and should not have a CHL.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

jmra

Post by jmra »

Yep. Couple times at least.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Running Arrow Bill

Post by Running Arrow Bill »

Keith B wrote:Have read them numerous times, including before I was an instructor. If a person is not willing to read the laws and familiarize themselves with them, then in my opinion they don't have the commitment to try and follow the laws and should not have a CHL.
I agree 100%. The "laws" are supposed to keep you out of jail...among other things.
Running Arrow Farm, LLC
Wellington, TX. 79095
longhorncattle2013@gmail.ocom
Registered Texas Longhorn Cattle

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Man, I could have lots off fun with this one. However, I'll just say, welcome to the forum and I encourage you to do some reading.
Last edited by mojo84 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Yes, I've read the CHL sections. There are also numerous ones regarding RVs (like the exception in the open container section)

While I agree that the legal language is sometimes confusing, I'm not sure how else you figure out what you are supposed to do or not supposed to do. In places like this forum, the actual meanings of the various sections are often debated. The same is true for the RV related sections on some of the RV forums. I would not have wanted to try to participate in those discussions without having at least tried to read the wording on my own.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

Yes, many times. :thumbs2:
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

SpringerFan

Post by SpringerFan »

Yes, as should you if you plan on carrying a firearm or do so currently. Could mean the difference in freedom or incarceration.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
Col. Jeff Cooper

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

No.

I glommed them for general intent and instruction but IANAL, I am a Texas CH licensee, and am not about to try to quote the laws period and paragraph. That said, I've learned more on this forum over the past half dozen years than I did in my two mandatory classes...in my time at my leisure.

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

Heisenberg wrote:
texascomp wrote:Can anyone say they have read every section of the TX CHL laws?
Anybody who didn't lie on their application should be able to say that.
texascomp wrote:I mean cmom....that is some heavy duty reading. :banghead: :eek6
Compared to a real college class, it wasn't much reading at all. Even compared to the closing paperwork for a mortgage it wasn't too bad.
I read the federal air regulations for work, I can read TX CHL laws for fun. :rules:
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

I've also read them several times. Usually about once a year since getting my CHL. And if you think that is some heavy duty reading, well, let's just say you're in for a rude awakening depending on the career choice you will or could make.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Well, there are laws and there are laws. I've studied the ones that matter to me. The other laws, not as much.

For example, there are quite a few laws covering CHL eligibility. I have never been arrested, much less convicted, of anything except speeding tickets. So I haven't really studied all the ins and outs of who is eligible versus ineligible for a CHL as it does not interest me. I have general knowledge, but not in depth knowledge.

However, I have studied the laws on use of force and deadly force, for example, over and over again. Knowing those inside and out can make a difference in where I get to live.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Not intending to be rude but I am always leery of first time posters that have Yahoo email addresses that start of with a first post like thus. Guess I'm getting too cynical.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

Are you saying they need to publish a picture book version? :evil2:
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”