ATV riders in Richmond shoot dog

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 20

Re: ATV riders in Richmond shoot dog

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

In a perverted way, what George is saying has merit. The owner of the dog does earn some of the blame here. It does not excuse the dispicable action of the punks. I would not tar and feather the dog owner but I could peel the skin off that punk who shot the dog and feel zero remorse. I would get a burger and milk shake right after he died. That being said... the owner should have done a better job of protecting his dog.

Quick story. Several years ago I see two huge dogs run by my front door. Then I hear a lady scream for help. I run into the front yard to see what was going on. These two big dogs had snatched up this very small Yorky and headed for the hills with it. My brother was visiting so he and I went in pursuit. We found the dead Yorky a few hundred yards away. The big dogs were gone. We called animal control because we didn't want to be the ones walking up to a ladies door with her mangled Yorky in tow. Animal control arrives and I am mad as I can be about the two big dogs running lose. I made a comment to him about how irresponsible it was for someone to allow their dogs to run free. He looks at me and says I agree with one exception. There were two irresponsible owners here. The owner of the Yorky was just as responsible for the death as the owner of the two big dogs. I could not come up with a reasonable way to disagree. ;-)
Last edited by 03Lightningrocks on Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Texsquatch
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Texsquatch »

Dang shame. Breaks my heart. I don't know how I'd react but it wouldn't be pretty. If this story is accurate, who knows what these criminals are capable of.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Oldgringo »

03Lightningrocks wrote:In a perverted way, what George is saying has merit. The owner of the dog does earn some of the blame here. It does not excuse the dispicable action of the punks. I would not tar and feather the dog owner but I could peel the skin off that punk who shot the dog and feel zero remorse. I would get a burger and milk shake right after he died. That being said... the owner should have done a better job of protecting his dog.

Quick story. Several years ago I see two huge dogs run by my front door. Then I hear a lady scream for help. I run into the front yard to see what was going on. These two big dogs had snatched up this very small Yorky and headed for the hills with it. My brother was visiting so he and I went in pursuit. We found the dead Yorky a few hundred yards away. The big dogs were gone. We called animal control because we didn't want to be the ones walking up to a ladies door with her mangled Yorky in tow. Animal control arrives and I am mad as I can be about the two big dogs running lose. I made a comment to him about how irresponsible it was for someone to allow their dogs to run free. He looks at me and says I agree with one exception. There were two irresponsible owners here. The owner of the Yorky was just as responsible for the death as the owner of the two big dogs. I could not come up with a reasonable way to disagree. ;-)
Good point! In our summer jobs as Montana state park Camp Hosts, unleashed dogs are a constant struggle. We are pet lovers but we do insist that the :rules: be obeyed, which means leashes and picking up after them. Sometimes it gets a little :grumble and sometimes someone gets a little :mad5 . We can handle it.

JP171
Banned
Posts in topic: 12

Post by JP171 »

I unlike Charles have reason to believe the dog owner is not being completely on the level as an ATV rider I know that dogs chase me quite often, the dog was not on a leash/lead and leash laws apply to ALL property with few exceptions such as fenced area's at home or as designated by being a dog park and FtBend County and the city of Richmond both have leash laws. the ATV was only 10 feet from the dog according to the story, the owner never said how far from him the dog and ATV were and no you cannot always out run the dog no matter what you think its not always possible he never said if the dog was going toward the ATV or away or barking or wagging its tail.

I have to be the devils advocate here, if the dog was chasing him he was justified in shooting the dog(been there done that) if the owner whooped out his trusty pistola and shot the ATV rider he just committed at the very least agg assault if the rider dies he just committed murder. in Texas animals like dogs and cats are considered chattel and under the law if the animal is aggressive towards a person or livestock can be shot. However all that being as it is, if it is found that the ATV Rider shot the dog out of just plain meanness I will help you string him up and use him like a piñata

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Oldgringo »

JP171 wrote:I unlike Charles have reason to believe the dog owner is not being completely on the level as an ATV rider I know that dogs chase me quite often, the dog was not on a leash/lead and leash laws apply to ALL property with few exceptions such as fenced area's at home or as designated by being a dog park and FtBend County and the city of Richmond both have leash laws. the ATV was only 10 feet from the dog according to the story, the owner never said how far from him the dog and ATV were and no you cannot always out run the dog no matter what you think its not always possible he never said if the dog was going toward the ATV or away or barking or wagging its tail.

I have to be the devils advocate here, if the dog was chasing him he was justified in shooting the dog(been there done that) if the owner whooped out his trusty pistola and shot the ATV rider he just committed at the very least agg assault if the rider dies he just committed murder. in Texas animals like dogs and cats are considered chattel and under the law if the animal is aggressive towards a person or livestock can be shot. However all that being as it is, if it is found that the ATV Rider shot the dog out of just plain meanness I will help you string him up and use him like a piñata
We rode our Polaris Sportsman 500X2 all over the San Juan Mountains of Colorado for several years. I don't think the dog has been born that could outrun that ATV on level ground; ergo, there is no need to shoot a dog in pursuit. PLUS, it would have to be a left hand shot from a moving, bouncing ATV. The right thumb would be on the throttle if the ATV was in motion. Right?

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

Oldgringo wrote:
JP171 wrote:I unlike Charles have reason to believe the dog owner is not being completely on the level as an ATV rider I know that dogs chase me quite often, the dog was not on a leash/lead and leash laws apply to ALL property with few exceptions such as fenced area's at home or as designated by being a dog park and FtBend County and the city of Richmond both have leash laws. the ATV was only 10 feet from the dog according to the story, the owner never said how far from him the dog and ATV were and no you cannot always out run the dog no matter what you think its not always possible he never said if the dog was going toward the ATV or away or barking or wagging its tail.

We rode our Polaris Sportsman 500X2 all over the San Juan Mountains of Colorado for several years. I don't think the dog has been born that could outrun that ATV on level ground; ergo, there is no need to shoot a dog in pursuit. PLUS, it would have to be a left hand shot from a moving, bouncing ATV. The right thumb would be on the throttle if the ATV was in motion. Right?

your making an assumption I won't grant you OG, we don't know where the dog was coming from and I have been bitten by a dog at 35 mph on my bike so I can see the person stopping if the dog was coming in at a forward angle and if the dog didn't stop I would shoot it. Also, only 1 channel has the story that I can find and 13 is notoriously against weapons of any kind

03Lightningrocks

I'm not believing the dog was attacking the rider. People who are defending themselves legally, don't hide from the cops. :tiphat:

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:If the dog owner is correct, and I have no reason to believe he is not, then this "thug" (COPS know what I want to say) is far more dangerous than it may appear on the surface. He shot a dog knowing the owner could well have been armed. I suspect the thug would not have allowed himself to be shot by the dog owner, so he did something he knew could easily resulted in a gunfight. I'm also pretty confident he was carrying unlawfully since it is highly unlikely that a CHL would have done something like that.

Longtooth is right -- 24/7.

Chas.
:iagree:

Someone who would do this to a dog (particularly in the presence of the owner) is less than a half a step away from doing the same to a human.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

03Lightningrocks wrote:I'm not believing the dog was attacking the rider. People who are defending themselves legally, don't hide from the cops. :tiphat:

you could be 100% correct, not sayin you aren't but knowing how much dogs hate motorcycles and atvs I have questions and the story told by the guy just doesn't satisfy my questions

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

Excaliber wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:If the dog owner is correct, and I have no reason to believe he is not, then this "thug" (COPS know what I want to say) is far more dangerous than it may appear on the surface. He shot a dog knowing the owner could well have been armed. I suspect the thug would not have allowed himself to be shot by the dog owner, so he did something he knew could easily resulted in a gunfight. I'm also pretty confident he was carrying unlawfully since it is highly unlikely that a CHL would have done something like that.

Longtooth is right -- 24/7.

Chas.
:iagree:

Someone who would do this to a dog (particularly in the presence of the owner) is less than a half a step away from doing the same to a human.

I have shot a dog right in front of the owner and I'm the one that called the cops too, but I forget, my moral compass is all messed up

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

03Lightningrocks wrote:I'm not believing the dog was attacking the rider. People who are defending themselves legally, don't hide from the cops. :tiphat:
Exactly right. If it was a good shoot by the ATV rider, then one would expect them to stay and talk to the owner, or at least call the police after they left. There's every reason to believe the dog owner.

As for not being on a leash, that doesn't wash for me. Not being on a least doesn't mean someone else gets to kill the dog. Oh yeah, why were ATV riders on property that wasn't theirs?

Chas.

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Exactly right. If it was a good shoot by the ATV rider, then one would expect them to stay and talk to the owner, or at least call the police after they left. There's every reason to believe the dog owner.

As for not being on a leash, that doesn't wash for me. Not being on a least doesn't mean someone else gets to kill the dog. Oh yeah, why were ATV riders on property that wasn't theirs?

Chas.

Actually Charles they were apparently all on property that wasn't theirs the dog owner drove to that location, but I will agree on the part of they should have talked to the cops at least, maybe not the owner but the cops

03Lightningrocks

JP171 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.

Actually Charles they were apparently all on property that wasn't theirs the dog owner drove to that location
I think what many of us are saying is that leash or no leash, my property or someone else's, it is not normal for a person to just kill a dog for kicks. It is flat out wrong to do. If the dog were attacking the riders, they would have either stayed and talked to the owner or at the least, called the cops after they left and told their story.

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
JP171 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.

Actually Charles they were apparently all on property that wasn't theirs the dog owner drove to that location
I think what many of us are saying is that leash or no leash, my property or someone else's, it is not normal for a person to just kill a dog for kicks. It is flat out wrong to do. If the dog were attacking the riders, they would have either stayed and talked to the owner or at the least, called the cops after they left and told their story.

you could be right and I agree with them talking to the police but the police even refused to make any kind of statement other than we are looking into it. we only have one side of the story we really don't know what happened and no the not being on a leash doesn't give carte blanche to up and shoot the dog, like I said in my first post if the rider shot the dog out of meanness I'll help string him up and use his as a piñata. when I shot a neighbors dog the guy stood there tellin me I was going to jail and cussin me the whole time, when the cops showed up the dog was in my yard, the owner hauled home when he saw the cop car, the cops asked me what happened I told them, they went to the owner and he told them something completely different, the only thing that saved my butt was the dogs blood was all over my porch

rotor

Post by rotor »

My dogs are like my children. The only time they run free is when they are in my gated yard. Outside the yard they are on a leash. I once had a neighbor whose dog used to run after me and try to bite me when I rolled the garbage out. This was all on my property and my neighbor would stand there and do nothing. I was extremely upset (but unarmed) one day and I told the lady that if the dog were to attack me one more time on my property I would kill the thing. You have to realize that I love dogs and did everything to play nice to that mutt. I yelled so loud at the lady that my wife came out and dragged me in to the house. Had that neighbor not moved I probably would have had to kill the dog in self defense. In the case presented here though I would not attempt to shoot anyone that shot my dog but I sure would do everything in my power to catch them. Usually though, people driving an ATV and wearing the appropriate safety gear like they allegedly were are not the type to randomly shoot a dog. This story doesn't ring completely true.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”