Carry at holiday parties

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Carry at holiday parties

Post by Oldgringo »

EEllis wrote:
Jihans wrote:A lot of these posts deal in absolutes when there are some gray areas. For example, if I know a relative doesn't like guns I won't carry in their house. Even though they didn't say anything verbally, my knowing their position strikes me as getting notice..... I know not legally.... But I think morally I have to respect that when I go to their house. Or I can chose not to go of course. I'm sure others think differently but I think this can be a gray area. As much as I think anti gun people should respect my right to carry I think I should also consider their feelings when entering their house.
:iagree:
:iagree: Should we have occasion to visit in the house of those of differing views, the visit is not long. For instance, I only know two people who will admit to voting for the current POTUS. One lives in St. Ignatius, MT and the other lives down the street. We don't see either very much. Birds of a feather tend to flock together....

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 30

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Oldgringo wrote:
EEllis wrote:
Jihans wrote:A lot of these posts deal in absolutes when there are some gray areas. For example, if I know a relative doesn't like guns I won't carry in their house. Even though they didn't say anything verbally, my knowing their position strikes me as getting notice..... I know not legally.... But I think morally I have to respect that when I go to their house. Or I can chose not to go of course. I'm sure others think differently but I think this can be a gray area. As much as I think anti gun people should respect my right to carry I think I should also consider their feelings when entering their house.
:iagree: Should we have occasion to visit in the house of those of differing views, the visit is not long. For instance, I only know two people who will admit to voting for the current POTUS. One lives in St. Ignatius, MT and the other lives down the street. We don't see either very much. Birds of a feather tend to flock together....
I was thinking the same thing. I cannot think of one person I know that is anti gun. I know a couple retards who voted Odumbell because their daddy and daddy's daddy and daddy's daddy's daddy... and maybe even their "baby momma" voted democrat. But even they are pro gun. They just don't believe Odumbell is gonna try to take them away. I even know one or two people who own only one gun. Even they would not presume to tell me what I can wear under my outer garments to their house. If my gun ain't welcomed, then neither am I and I sure don't want to be around such fools. :leaving

jmra
Posts in topic: 6

Post by jmra »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
EEllis wrote:
I was thinking the same thing. I cannot think of one person I know that is anti gun. I know a couple retards who voted Odumbell because their daddy and daddy's daddy and daddy's daddy's daddy... and maybe even their "baby momma" voted democrat. But even they are pro gun. They just don't believe Odumbell is gonna try to take them away. I even know one or two people who own only one gun. Even they would not presume to tell me what I can wear under my outer garments to their house. If my gun ain't welcomed, then neither am I and I sure don't want to be around such fools. :leaving
Several times a year we visit my wife's aunts. Because they live in a state that requires you to ask permission before entering a house with a concealed weapon, I leave it in the car. I know they both don't understand the need to carry a weapon and being in their 80s nothing is going to change their minds.
But this has also made me sensitive to those I visit in Texas. I don't like going to people's houses and do my best to commune with people in public places. But if I have to go to a house, unless I know they are gun friendly, I leave the gun in the car.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 4

Post by chasfm11 »

Oldgringo wrote:
EEllis wrote:
I'm betting that you know a lot more people who cast incorrect ballots in the last two presidential elections but perhaps only 2 who will admit it. Many Obummer supporters are living to regret their decision. And some of them are choosing to suffer in silence rather than to publicly admit their folly.

I agree that it is a moral rather than just a legal decision whether to carry in someone's house. While I relish standing beside someone in public who rants about the evils of guns and may move closer to them and smile more broadly while I'm doing it, I won't do that same thing on their private property. Just because the other side goes out of their way to trample my rights and my feelings does mean that I have to do likewise.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

03Lightningrocks

Wow! I am amazed when I read a post from a person that says we should inform others we are carrying concealed. I am curious. Many times I see posts declaring a business as anti gun and refusing to go into the business. Just so I get this straight. If it is a personal relationship that is anti gun, you will continue to disarm and go in? Even if they don't post the property, you disarm, just in case it will make them nervous? "Out of respect"? I am not sure why anyone considers it a sign of disrespect to exercise our RKBA. :???:

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

03Lightningrocks wrote:Wow! I am amazed when I read a post from a person that says we should inform others we are carrying concealed. I am curious. Many times I see posts declaring a business as anti gun and refusing to go into the business. Just so I get this straight. If it is a personal relationship that is anti gun, you will continue to disarm and go in? Even if they don't post the property, you disarm, just in case it will make them nervous? "Out of respect"? I am not sure why anyone considers it a sign of disrespect to exercise our RKBA. :???:

I think he was saying he lives or lived in a state where that was actually required.

Strangely, I now have a strange desire to put up an old fashioned wood sign that says "check all your six guns with the wiener dogs at your feet." The wife would probably love that. :bigear:

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

03Lightningrocks wrote:Wow! I am amazed when I read a post from a person that says we should inform others we are carrying concealed. I am curious. Many times I see posts declaring a business as anti gun and refusing to go into the business. Just so I get this straight. If it is a personal relationship that is anti gun, you will continue to disarm and go in? Even if they don't post the property, you disarm, just in case it will make them nervous? "Out of respect"? I am not sure why anyone considers it a sign of disrespect to exercise our RKBA. :???:
I think it depends on the context of the relationship, which would be hard to generalize as each relationship would be unique. Businesses posting anti-gun or 30.06 is a completely different animal as there usually is no personal relationship to consider.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

03Lightningrocks

Cedar Park Dad wrote:

I think he was saying he lives or lived in a state where that was actually required.

Strangely, I now have a strange desire to put up an old fashioned wood sign that says "check all your six guns with the wiener dogs at your feet." The wife would probably love that. :bigear:
I was not really posting to him only. I guess I am simple. I just don't get how I am showing disrespect to carry concealed in other peoples homes. I bet they would not feel disrespected if a gang banger kicked in the door while I was there and I saved their lives.

If the laws in a State require I inform them, I would leave that state. That is a gun control law imposed by simple minded libtards who think a gun is inherently dangerous. But, I think this question was aimed at the majority of us who live in the great nation of Texas. We have no such rediculous law. :txflag:

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

I'm not sure if your comment was directed at me but I'll answer it.

I personally see a difference between a private business that is open to the public and a private residence. This is NOT a legal determination for me. I do not normally do any business with businesses that post their property or have strong anti-gun activities. But I don't shun everyone person who makes anti-gun statements. Sometimes, individuals are ill informed or have simply parroted what others have told them. Our school systems, depending on where you live, can provide a very anti-gun message to our children. It is not their fault that they heard it and remembered it.

I'm a strong pro-life advocate
I'm a strong fiscal conservative
etc.

If I completely disassociated myself from everyone who didn't share my exact feelings on every subject, I would be left with a very small circle of contacts. I don't knowingly go to parties where the hosts are strongly anti-gun. But like businesses with whom I would normally never do business, there are times when I need to talk to or meet with people that I would otherwise never visit. Someone said earlier that these are not black and white issues and I have never dealt with them as such. If I have to visit someone I know who is strongly anti-gun, I'll make a determination about what to do with my gun. I can assure you that such problems are the exception, not the rule.

In another post, I talked about being in my church and having a gun related conversation. I was interrupted by a person with a strong anti-gun sentiment. I'm not going to stop going to my church because of her. She knows me now and I know her. We'll agree to disagree about guns and continue attending church together. I carry in church and know that she would have a hissy fit if she knew exactly how close to a gun she was when she was talking to me. She would be one to raise a stink with our church leadership if she every found out but she won't from me. Would I ever accept an invitation to her house if it were in a church related matter? It is hard to say. But if I did go, I would likely leave my gun in my car. Call my schizophrenic but that is just the way that I roll.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

03Lightningrocks

I would be real careful not to let the church lady know about my gun. If she is that afraid of guns, rather than bad guys with guns, you can bet she would start a stink.

On the topic at hand. If the RKBA is truly a right, it seems to me everyone should assume we are all exercising that right and if they don't directly address my carrying on their property, neither will I. If an anti gun zealot is that worried about a gun, they should make it a point to inform every person that comes to their home that the practice of the right is not allowed. I don't see the need to get permission. It seems backwards to ask permission to exercise our right, regardless of who's home we are in. :???:

Just for the record, I don't think anyone responding here is anti gun. And my comment was for anyone that cares to respond. :cheers2:

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by EEllis »

03Lightningrocks wrote: It seems backwards to ask permission to exercise our right, regardless of who's home we are in. :???:
You've got no RIGHT to even be allowed in anyones home never mind carrying a gun into it. Now I wouldn't ask permission because I don't advertise but if I knew there was an issue I wouldn't carry in a house I knew my gun was unwelcome. Now maybe that means I wouldn't go or maybe that means I disarm but there is never anything wrong with having a bit of courtesy or showing some respect for other regardless if we have differing beliefs.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

And so it again comes to pass with topics of this sort, that we have entered the "fundamental" or personal rights vs property rights debate. I find it interesting that those who believe the RKBA is God-given and shall not be infringed are quick to ignore another fundamental right - the authority to control your own property, unless they're talking about their own property.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

03Lightningrocks

EEllis wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote: It seems backwards to ask permission to exercise our right, regardless of who's home we are in. :???:
You've got no RIGHT to even be allowed in anyones home never mind carrying a gun into it. Now I wouldn't ask permission because I don't advertise but if I knew there was an issue I wouldn't carry in a house I knew my gun was unwelcome. Now maybe that means I wouldn't go or maybe that means I disarm but there is never anything wrong with having a bit of courtesy or showing some respect for other regardless if we have differing beliefs.
If they invite me, yes I do. The topic involved being invited, not breaking and entering. This in turn takes me back to the entirety of my post, not one line taken out of context as if that was the whole concept of what I said. This isn't a duel. LOL. I find it reasonable to exercise my constitutional rights, without permission. Like I said in my post, if they don't want a gun in their home it is their responsibility to tell me not to bring it, not mine to ask permission. Do you ask permission before you speak in their home?

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
EEllis wrote:
If they invite me, yes I do. The topic involved being invited, not breaking and entering. This in turn takes me back to the entirety of my post, not one line taken out of context as if that was the whole concept of what I said. This isn't a duel. LOL. I find it reasonable to exercise my constitutional rights, without permission. Like I said in my post, if they don't want a gun in their home it is their responsibility to tell me not to bring it, not mine to ask permission. Do you ask permission before you speak in their home?
So in the instance I noted earlier, what if they have a sign at the door, that says no firearms without permission of owner?

03Lightningrocks

TexasCajun wrote:And so it again comes to pass with topics of this sort, that we have entered the "fundamental" or personal rights vs property rights debate. I find it interesting that those who believe the RKBA is God-given and shall not be infringed are quick to ignore another fundamental right - the authority to control your own property, unless they're talking about their own property.
NOBODY said anything like what you just posted. You have the right to tell me not to carry. It is NOT my responsibility to ask you what is permitted on your property and what is not, as long as I am within the law, I am well within my rights and NOT trampling yours to control your property. Again, If I am not told to leave my gun home, I assume it is ok since carrying my concealed weapon is not only legal but a constitutional right.

You control your property alright but do you have a list of what is allowed on your property so I am not violating any secret rules? The only way your post works is if I am told not to carry on the property and do so anyway...which is a violation of the law.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”