Carry at holiday parties

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Jihans
Posts in topic: 4

Carry at holiday parties

Post by Jihans »

With a lot of holiday parties upcoming, I wanted to throw a topic up for discussion.

First, when invited to a friend/neighbor/relative's house for a holiday gathering.... do you carry? Do you ask the host their feeling on it first? I'm not talking alcohol consumption or anything like that. Just the general principal. Part two of the question... you are invited to a friend/neighbor/relative's house for a holiday gathering. You know from previous discussions with them that they are against guns. Even though they have not said anything to you about carrying do you?

texanjoker

Re: Carry at holiday parties

Post by texanjoker »

None of my friends are against guns so I don't worry there. Personally if I am going to be drinking then the answer is no. If not then yes, but if it is at a house I leave the gun in car. I just don't feel the need to pack in a home. If I am that worried I don't go there.

Now at formal parties, the same goes about drinking. Next month we are going to a large one and I'll be armed due to it being downtown Austin. Gotta be safe.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

I decided not to yesterday because we were going to family that had recently moved down from IL and although they are hunters, I'm not sure what their position is on CC and especially in their home. I know concealed is concealed, but there's hugging and all and I didn't want to deal with it and ruin the day if someone felt my gun and didn't like it. They don't even know about my CHL yet. I'll bring it up when I get them out to the range and see where we're at on that issue.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

"Concealed" means concealed. There is no legal requirement in Texas to inform a homeowner you are carrying when you visit. If I may have a drink then the shootin' iron stays home. I even get a little nervous about the tiny sip of Communion wine at church. I'm Episcopalian, they use real wine. If you think the gun might be a problem, lock it in your vehicle while at the party don't ask just do it. The fewer who know you carry the better. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

howdy

Post by howdy »

I carry my LCP in a pocket holster at parties like that. It is invisable with Dockers or slacks and there is no worry of the "hugging" thingi.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Jason K
Banned

Post by Jason K »

Are you planning to let people know that you're carrying? If not, carry away.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

I would not ask, any more than I would ask the owner or manager of a store If I can carry there.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 4

Post by chasfm11 »

texanjoker wrote:None of my friends are against guns so I don't worry there. Personally if I am going to be drinking then the answer is no. If not then yes, but if it is at a house I leave the gun in car. I just don't feel the need to pack in a home. If I am that worried I don't go there.

Now at formal parties, the same goes about drinking. Next month we are going to a large one and I'll be armed due to it being downtown Austin. Gotta be safe.
:iagree: As long as I'm not drinking (and these days I rarely drink outside my home - I'm the designated driver), I carry at parties, funerals, etc. We were at our friend's house yesterday and he has an arsenal so I left my gun in the car.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

I am sitting in a dinner party right now with about 25 people, with my full size S&W M&P .40 in my Comp-Tac Minotaur on my hip.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Moby

Post by Moby »

I carry...always when not at work or a 30.06 establishment..and I avoid those.
Be without fear in the face of your enemies.
Stand brave and upright that the Lord may love thee.
Speak the truth always even if it means your death.
Protect the helpless and do no wrong!

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

Jumping Frog wrote:I am sitting in a dinner party right now with about 25 people, with my full size S&W M&P .40 in my Comp-Tac Minotaur on my hip.
Don't tell them... that you prefer our company more than theirs. :mrgreen:

If somebody invites me into their home, they implicitly invite my handgun, my cell phone, my underwear, etc.

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

I always carry on body. But if I was carrying in a purse, I would not under any circumstances let the purse out of my direct grasp in someone's home. Too easy to have kids and snoops find the gun. Leaving a gun in the car is ok as long as you have a good lock box for it. Thieves are going to be busy all season breaking into cars. Hugging is not usually an issue if you drop your strong side arm low to go under the other person's arm. All of my family and friends know I carry and expect me to be armed. I chose from the beginning not to drink a drop if I am carrying. I would rather be stone sober and armed than defenseless and buzzed or worse--buzzed and armed and trying to explain that combination to an officer for any reason.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

Wes

Post by Wes »

Moby wrote:I carry...always when not at work or a 30.06 establishment..and I avoid those.
This! All my friends know, as does most of my family so unless it's a work thing or other distant relative they already know. Anything can happen between someone's front door and my car. Not taking a chance.
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

Wes wrote:
Moby wrote:I carry...always when not at work or a 30.06 establishment..and I avoid those.
This! All my friends know, as does most of my family so unless it's a work thing or other distant relative they already know. Anything can happen between someone's front door and my car. Not taking a chance.
For several years i "knew" I was the only one to carry at my in laws' house during get togethers. Then my son-in-law and daughter git theirs and I "knew" that they were probably carrying also. Now my BILs and SILs, all together for irthdays, have their CHLs and an after cake "show me yours and I'll show you mine" ensued in which there was no less than five weapons produced. In a twist of irony, I was the only one that didn't produce theirs.

I love Texas, I love my in laws.
:txflag:
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

If its a private house usually I won't unless I know the people are seriously pro-gun. Not for any reason other then for some reason I consider it inconsiderate.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”