MISTRIAL/CONVICTION: Ft. Hood soldier's case to carry AR15

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 37

Re: MISTRIAL in Ft. Hood soldier's case for carrying AR15

Post by EEllis »

C-dub wrote: I am also neither a LEO or lawyer and have not been either in a past life.

All of this is why I don't understand what duty he interfered with. I still don't know or understand what RS they had to start with.

Also, BTW, Charles knows at least as much as I do about this case and even he is unaware of any laws the guy broke.
That isn't how it works. He doesn't have to break any laws for there to be RS and unless you know what the officer says RS was then you can't even start to discuss fact. It's just theory. In theory the RS could be shots reported earlier, the way he was carrying the gun, that the guy fit a description of someone else, who knows. Here is something else just to mess with your head. There is no real standard for RS but that the officer articulate the suspicion and a judge believe it was reasonable for the officer to have that suspicion. Not you me or Joe Blow but that officer. If the cop is eloquent and well spoken then he is much more likely to be able to convince a judge as to the "reasonableness" of his suspicion. That is one issue. The other is interference. The guy was physically resisting, wouldn't answer or keep silent, and yes just making noise can be interference, and generally being as uncooperative as possible. What do you think interference is? You can refuse to talk, withhold permission, things like that, but you can't make the cops drag you rather than move. Physically block access even without resistance.

Mind you it's barely more than a nuisance charge and designed as much to allow the cops to just jail someone who is causing problems and get them out of the way as much as anything else.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 15

Post by C-dub »

If that's the case, then it sounds as if an officer can tell a believable story, true or false, they can say whatever they want and get away with just about anything.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

JP171
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JP171 »

C-dub wrote:If that's the case, then it sounds as if an officer can tell a believable story, true or false, they can say whatever they want and get away with just about anything.

that's always been the case unless there is video evidence to the contrary(that's not even iron clad), but if I were you I wouldn't argue or even discuss anything about police doing something that is wrong with the apologist above you, you won't change his mind nor do even convictions of police having been guilty of criminal acts make him see more than the side of the cop is ALWAYS right even if he was wrong

C-dub
Posts in topic: 15

Post by C-dub »

JP171 wrote:
C-dub wrote:If that's the case, then it sounds as if an officer can tell a believable story, true or false, they can say whatever they want and get away with just about anything.

that's always been the case unless there is video evidence to the contrary(that's not even iron clad), but if I were you I wouldn't argue or even discuss anything about police doing something that is wrong with the apologist above you, you won't change his mind nor do even convictions of police having been guilty of criminal acts make him see more than the side of the cop is ALWAYS right even if he was wrong
Possibly. I've laid out the fallacy of that officer's and the DA's case that many others here also see. Maybe I'm the ignorant one. However, I think it was just a case where they didn't want to be shown up by that man.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

mojo84
Posts in topic: 11

Post by mojo84 »

Looks like there may be more to the Grisham arrest story.

Here's the police dashcam video. Lots of obstruction going on there.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/11 ... iting-for/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by mojo84 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

suthdj
Posts in topic: 6

Post by suthdj »

mojo84 wrote:Looks like there may be more to the Grisham arrest story.

Here's the police dashcam video. Lots of obstruction going on there.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... iting-for/

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/11 ... iting-for/
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cb1000rider »

EEllis wrote: This has nothing at all to do with CHL. The man wasn't even arrested for any firearm related crime. I haven't heard the case but at least 6 people were given the evidence and thought he was guilty so right now I'm thinking he got what he asked for.
Wow! Really?

Moby
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Moby »

baldeagle wrote:SMH. I can't believe you guys are celebrating his conviction. You do realize that what the cops did was wrong and what the prosecutor did was worse? That the prosecutor is anti-gun and took this case personally and pursued it until he got what he wanted? That when you go to Temple the police will now think they were right and the citizen was wrong? Hate the man if you want, but celebrate a loss for the CHL community?
Agreed, on this forum of all places.
While I think the MSgt was an idiot for carrying a AR15 on a hike, even if legal, the bottom line is its LEGAL!!!
Yet some cheer on bad police behavior. Of course until something happens to them when THEY are doing something that is legal.

sad
:confused5 :confused5 :confused5 :confused5
Be without fear in the face of your enemies.
Stand brave and upright that the Lord may love thee.
Speak the truth always even if it means your death.
Protect the helpless and do no wrong!

suthdj
Posts in topic: 6

Post by suthdj »

cb1000rider wrote:
EEllis wrote: This has nothing at all to do with CHL. The man wasn't even arrested for any firearm related crime. I haven't heard the case but at least 6 people were given the evidence and thought he was guilty so right now I'm thinking he got what he asked for.
Wow! Really?
After watching that I would say 2 ego's went to war. The LEO was a bit over bearing an Grisham was defiant, Grisham lost. It seems nothing here was about the law and all about ego and who holds power.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

cb1000rider wrote:
Wow! Really?
Yes, that is how trials work.

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

C-dub wrote: Possibly. I've laid out the fallacy of that officer's and the DA's case that many others here also see. Maybe I'm the ignorant one. However, I think it was just a case where they didn't want to be shown up by that man.
Where? Did I miss it?

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

EEllis wrote:
cb1000rider wrote:
Wow! Really?

and juries are never wrong.

Sometimes, trials come down to who has the best stroryteller or spinmeister and has very little to do with who was actually in the right or wrong.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

JP171 wrote: that's always been the case unless there is video evidence to the contrary(that's not even iron clad), but if I were you I wouldn't argue or even discuss anything about police doing something that is wrong with the apologist above you, you won't change his mind nor do even convictions of police having been guilty of criminal acts make him see more than the side of the cop is ALWAYS right even if he was wrong
The problem is that isn't what is being discussed, at least not by me. I have clearly stated that if the initial approach was bad then Grisham shouldn't be found guilty. The issue some seem to have is I demand people make a case based on facts and logic. Then of course when they can't name calling ensues. What are we children? Then why act like it?

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

mojo84 wrote:
EEllis wrote:
cb1000rider wrote:
Wow! Really?

and juries are never wrong.

Sometimes, trials come down to who has the best stroryteller or spinmeister and has very little to do with who was actually in the right or wrong.
While that's true I don't seem to get your point if there is one. If Grisham appeals he may very likely win in a higher court. I believe if you check earlier threads I even pose that possibility. I also thought he would be found guilty in the local court because IF the cop had good RS then Grisham is guilty. I figured that local officers would have a decent idea about what the local judges would except as RS. Now a higher court may very well see it different. Now you can say I'm taking the side of the officer but to me it's just plain handicapping the case so the complaining is a bit strange.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

EEllis wrote:
JP171 wrote: that's always been the case unless there is video evidence to the contrary(that's not even iron clad), but if I were you I wouldn't argue or even discuss anything about police doing something that is wrong with the apologist above you, you won't change his mind nor do even convictions of police having been guilty of criminal acts make him see more than the side of the cop is ALWAYS right even if he was wrong
The problem is that isn't what is being discussed, at least not by me. I have clearly stated that if the initial approach was bad then Grisham shouldn't be found guilty. The issue some seem to have is I demand people make a case based on facts and logic. Then of course when they can't name calling ensues. What are we children? Then why act like it?

Watch the dashcam. The initial approach was bad. Therefore, he should be found not guilty according to your words. The video is factual.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”