First gun purchase

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

First gun purchase

Post by SQLGeek »

I purchased my first gun from a dealer since getting my CHL. I very much like the process of not having to wait for a NICS check to come back.

The purchase was made at Academy and the lady working the gun counter not only thought it was awesome she didn't have to call it in but that I carried so we talked about carry guns for a while.

And for the record, I bought a Winchester SXP black shadow. I really like the "pump that thinks it is a semi" feature.
Psalm 91:2

johncanfield
Posts in topic: 1

Re: First gun purchase

Post by johncanfield »

SQLGeek wrote:.. I very much like the process of not having to wait for a NICS check to come back...
A nice benefit for sure! I wish I could take advantage of it more often ;-) .
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

SQLGeek wrote:The purchase was made at Academy and the lady working the gun counter not only thought it was awesome she didn't have to call it in ...
That's different. I thought some folks had said that it was Academy's policy to run the NICS check anyway. Has that changed or am I misremembering that or did she not follow company policy?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

tiviti

Post by tiviti »

C-dub wrote:
SQLGeek wrote:The purchase was made at Academy and the lady working the gun counter not only thought it was awesome she didn't have to call it in ...
That's different. I thought some folks had said that it was Academy's policy to run the NICS check anyway. Has that changed or am I misremembering that or did she not follow company policy?
I don't know their policy, but my most recent purchase was also from an Academy, and there was no call in.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

C-dub wrote:
I have only purchased two pistols from Academy. Neither time did they run NICS.

Topic author
SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SQLGeek »

She had a higher level manager come over and verify the paperwork so I don't think she was breaking any kind of policy.

She was also instructing a new employee on the gun purchase process and she told him a couple of times that no NICS check was needed.

They also let me buy a case of shells, which I thought I had heard Academy was not allowing customers to buy a gun and ammo at.the same time. I probably heard that wrong.
Psalm 91:2

Seventhsword

Post by Seventhsword »

Have bought many guns from Academy. Never have they run a NICS check on me...
Seventhsword
NRA Life Member, CHL

Waco1959

Post by Waco1959 »

C-dub wrote: That's different. I thought some folks had said that it was Academy's policy to run the NICS check anyway. Has that changed or am I misremembering that or did she not follow company policy?
I've only had one purchase from Academy since getting my CHL and they did run an NICS check. It was Black Friday last year and I had to wait about 4 hours to pick it up because NICS was swamped. Maybe they have changed the policy since then?

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

I have bought three different guns at three different Academys since getting my CHL and never had to go through the NICS check. All three also asked if I wanted to purchase any ammo before they walked me to the front to check out. I guess it is their "right" to still do the NICS check, but it is also my right to not buy from them if they insist. (I wouldn't have waited 4 hours myself as stated above, but thats just me).
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Return to “New to CHL?”