need renewal class report

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 4

Re: need renewal class report

Post by sjfcontrol »

i suspect there simply isn't much to report.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

howdy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by howdy »

Are you signed up for a class. The Houston classes were all full so I suspect the other classes are either full or filling up. The class went from 8am to 7pm. The written test was not hard and if you can't pass it you would have no business having a CHL or especially be an Instructor. The Instructors kept the class moving and made it interesting. You can qual with the guns (both pistol and revolver) now and maybe even turn it in to Sheri at the class. I would keep a copy for myself. The new CHL 100 has a box you check for Instructor qual.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

gpeloq
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gpeloq »

I attended the 10/23/13 class in Houston. Lasted from 8AM until 7PM. Lot of good information. I did not find it boring. Sheri Z. did the class basicly by herself and kept it moving well. She went over the four hour outline in detail. The only "New" thing was the fact that we scored targets and there were a few targets to score on the test. Our proficiency test is to be demonstrated in the presents of another instructor who will provide a CHL-100.
TX CHL Instructor
NRA Instructor:
Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection in the Home, Refuse to Be a Victim
NRA RSO

rjr5545

Post by rjr5545 »

It was worth it just to hear we no longer have to fill out the CHL 7 form.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

rjr5545 wrote:It was worth it just to hear we no longer have to fill out the CHL 7 form.
Got something to back that up? It's still in their downloadable forms, and I've been working the last few days to automate its generation.
Never Forget. Image

howdy

Post by howdy »

sjfcontrol wrote:
rjr5545 wrote:It was worth it just to hear we no longer have to fill out the CHL 7 form.
Got something to back that up? It's still in their downloadable forms, and I've been working the last few days to automate its generation.

We were told the same thing at the October 22nd class. No more CHL 7 starting now.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

paperchunker

Post by paperchunker »

From the class notification email:
You will be permitted to demonstrate proficiency with any certified Texas CHL Instructor at a later date. Further instruction regarding proficiency demonstration will be provided during the class. (emphasis mine)

Will DPS accept proficiency demonstration done prior to attending the class ?
NRA/LTC Instructor
NRA Patriot Life- Endowment Member

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

paperchunker wrote:From the class notification email:
You will be permitted to demonstrate proficiency with any certified Texas CHL Instructor at a later date. Further instruction regarding proficiency demonstration will be provided during the class. (emphasis mine)

Will DPS accept proficiency demonstration done prior to attending the class ?
There's no reason why they shouldn't. I'm sure that line is just intended to indicate that it will not be done as part of the class.
Never Forget. Image

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

I have it on good authority that, as long as you use the same qualification process as you did last time in Austin (both revolver and semi-auto, scoring 90%), that yes, you can go ahead and do it before the renewal class.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Good because that is what I did.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

I attended the Oct. 23 class. While Sherrie is great and did a good job of trying to keep things interesting, there was very little new stuff that I really needed to hear. As usual for a government project, they crammed two hours of information into ten.
Probably not the instructor's fault. They are probably told that the class has to be a certain length of time and they do their best to fill that time.
Let's see, about 8 wasted hours in the renewal class, an entire wasted weekend in the NRA class...
All of this for a part time "hobby" job that I do just because I love it and believe in the cause.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Capt Roy

Post by Capt Roy »

I know I found the renewal class to be interested and do not think it was wasted time. I thought the material was delivered well. It was good to go over the requirements for the 4-6 hour course. There was nothing presented the should be a mystery to any of us.. Just a good refresher.. I scored a 100 on the exam..

Yes, CHL 7 is no longer required... I loved that as sometimes I felt pressured to get it done for a short notice class.

Yes, Qualification can be completed before the refresher course. I shot with another instructor a week before the class and turned in my CHL-100 to Sherri at the class.
Capt Roy
"If it doesn't work, read the instructions. If it still doesn't work, follow them!"
CHL Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor and Range Safety Officer

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Capt Roy wrote:I know I found the renewal class to be interested and do not think it was wasted time. I thought the material was delivered well. It was good to go over the requirements for the 4-6 hour course. There was nothing presented the should be a mystery to any of us.. Just a good refresher.. I scored a 100 on the exam..

Yes, CHL 7 is no longer required... I loved that as sometimes I felt pressured to get it done for a short notice class.

Yes, Qualification can be completed before the refresher course. I shot with another instructor a week before the class and turned in my CHL-100 to Sherri at the class.
If you give the CHL-100 directly to Sherri at the class do they give you your cert in class, too? What if you send it in ahead of time? (I.e., were any certs passed out in the class?)
Never Forget. Image

Capt Roy

Post by Capt Roy »

No certs were handed out in class. I dropped it off with her when the class was over. Several others dropped theirs off also..

They told us during the class that it would be a couple weeks to get them after they had everything..
Capt Roy
"If it doesn't work, read the instructions. If it still doesn't work, follow them!"
CHL Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor and Range Safety Officer

Return to “Instructors' Corner”