What are you currently reading?

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What are you currently reading?

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I just started The Liberty Amendments by Mark Levin. Our Constitution has been subverted by myriad big-government, anti-freedom laws, regulations and court rulings. It is time to consider Amendment level measures to restore limited government and renew economic prosperity.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

VMI77
Posts in topic: 5

Post by VMI77 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
BigGuy wrote:Just finished "The Affair", A Jack Reacher Novel by Lee Child.
Presently reading "Enders Game," by Orson Scott Card. With the movie coming out, I wanted to read the book first.
Ender's Game is a great book, and Orson Scott Card is a good writer. I read it some years ago. My son turned me on to it when he was in middle school.
He was also recently under attack from the progs, so I'm thinking he's a pretty good guy too.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Topic author
CHLLady
Posts in topic: 4

Post by CHLLady »

MotherBear wrote:
CHLLady wrote:
MotherBear wrote:Just finished reading "Sense and Sensibility" this afternoon, which meant that dinner was salads instead of stir fry because I should have put down my book to make dinner half an hour before. I'll probably wind up making my way through the Austen collection (it happens every year or two; I can't resist). I'm waiting for a friend to finish her draft of the final novel in her trilogy so I can read it. She's not published yet, but if the publishers have any sense she will be. And I'm also waiting for the next Diana Gabaldon "Outlander" book. Otherwise I'm trying to stay away from fiction because I have terrible self control when it comes to books and nothing gets done when I get into a good book.

For non-fiction, I'm working through "The Well-Trained Mind." I want to finish the entire thing, but with a particular focus on getting the elementary years sorted out.
Jane Austen is my all time favorite author! I have read and re-read her books, they are like my friends. They were the first things I put on my kindle. My favorite is Persuasion. I have had the true pleasure of going to her last home in Chawton where she was most prolific in her writing. I also visited her grave in Winchester Cathedral and saw the house where she died. I laid yellow flowers at her grave. She was an incredible because it was not common for women to be as educated as she was. I touched the little table that she wrote at. Yes, I am a bit of a Jane fanatic. It was certainly the top of my bucket list and now I have to come up with another. ;-)
I feel exactly the same way about the books. I still remember my first time reading Pride and Prejudice, in high school. I was in the library with another girl from my English class and we were both supposed to be reading it (alternative for a class assignment our parents opted us out for -- best choice ever). I was chuckling every few lines and, bless her blonde little heart, she'd just look at me and ask what was so funny. Don't think she ever caught on that it was humorous.

I'm jealous of your visit... maybe someday! I'd also like to visit Beatrix Potter's farm. My kids just love her books, and I love having such well written children's stories to read to them. We're planning a Europe trip in about 12 years, just before the oldest finishes high school. Guess I can be patient till then. :waiting:
I know you will love it and it will fulfill your dreams. It is everything I hoped it would be. I love history, cobblestones, old doors, and skeleton keys. It does not disappoint! Meanwhile, check out English Heritiage. They have tourist passes that make your entrance into castles much cheaper and you may get discounts on your parking as well. There is also the National Trust. They both work the same way, except NT is for historical homes instead of castles. Use their website to plan your itinerary. Make sure castles are open when you will be there.

Middle Age Russ, please do come back and let us know how you liked it. I thought about reading it as well.
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

fickman
Posts in topic: 8

Post by fickman »

"Certified Information Systems Security Professional Study Guide"

oh, and "Little House in the Big Woods" (with the kids).
Native Texian

striker55

Post by striker55 »

Currently reading Faye Kellerman series with detective Peter Decker, I've read first 13 books. Before that Vince Flynn series with CIA Mitch Rapp. Also Daniel Silva series with Israeli intelligence agent Gabriel Allon.

TrackinPat
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TrackinPat »

Liberal Fascism (re-read), A history of the US in 10 Firearms, The American Revolution 1763-1783, and Atlas Shrugged (re-read).

TrackinPat
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TrackinPat »

Middle Age Russ wrote:I just started The Liberty Amendments by Mark Levin. Our Constitution has been subverted by myriad big-government, anti-freedom laws, regulations and court rulings. It is time to consider Amendment level measures to restore limited government and renew economic prosperity.
The Liberty Amendments is excellent!!

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

I'm doing the read along with Kim Harrison. I previously read up through WWBC so BMS onward will be new material for me. I really enjoyed the early books and then lost interest, so I'm curious if the second go round will be different.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Hope it's OK to revive an old post. I didn't want to start a new one. There was a post about the movie "The Butler" that veered off and "Jeremiah Johnson" came up so I decided to read a couple of books about the real man John (Johnson) Johnston. "Mountain Man" by Vardis Fischer and "Crow Killer- The saga of Liver Eating Johnson" By R.W Thorpe. The real story would have made an even better movie. Started "American Sniper" a couple of days ago.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Abraham
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Abraham »

"Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman by Richard Feynman

"What Do You Care What Other People Think?"

While Feynman was a theoretical physicist, he was also a wild and crazy guy. His books and lectures are highly entertaining.

Joseph Wambaugh's "Hollywood" series. Very funny stuff!

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Well, since this one is back and running again, I'll add mine.

"A Time For Trumpets: The Untold Story of the Battle of the Bulge" by Charles B. MacDonald. He served during WWII and was involved in that battle. Pretty detailed read, so far.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Abraham »

"David and Goliath" Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants
by Malcolm Gladwell

This is non-fiction.

I've read all Gladwell's books and all are worth reading.

"America the Beautiful"
Ben Carson, M.D.

This is the guy whose speech astounded Obama. Apparently, they didn't do any vetting on this man. I think they assumed because he's black he'd naturally belong in their camp.

Wrong!

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

I am trying to get through the final 200 pages of Shantaram.

BigGuy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by BigGuy »

GEORGE WASHINGTON'S SECRET SIX: THE SPY RING THAT SAVED THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION By Brian Kilmeade and Don Yaeger.
Just a couple of chapters in, but it's good so far.
Funny thing is, I know quite a bit about the Civil war. I've taken a few classes on it and read extensively about it. Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I probably know more than the average guy on that subject.
But I know exactly squat about the Revolutionary war. No clue about the time line, or geographical flow of the conflict. Now that I think about it, I've got some studying to do.

Edit: I found a great site for those, like myself, woefully ignorant of the War for Independence.
http://www.revolutionarywaranimated.com ... to-the-war
Last edited by BigGuy on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenk

Post by Kenk »

Texheim wrote:Tom Clancy
Threat Vector
I just finished "Command Authority" Clancey's last book. I was sad to know that there won't be any more. RIP.

Return to “Books & Videos”