Urgent: XDs recall...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

mr surveyor
Posts in topic: 15

Re: Urgent: XDs recall...

Post by mr surveyor »

ChillMickelson wrote:I'm just not impressed with them calling the fatal flaw fix an "upgrade."

Bad PR

and just what is the "fatal flaw"?

this recall has become downright silly with all the "sky is falling" chatter, and my guess is that most of the whiners either have very little experience with firearms in general or have no "skin in the game" to begin with.

Even if I'm not satisfied with my XDs when I get it back next week, I'm sure that the sun will come up the next day if God so chooses. Springfield acknowledged a potential problem (actually a problem most likely due to having to make this model idiot proof) and spent millions of dollars to address the issue (in reality probably a non-issue).

The only "modern" Springfield firearm I own (or have ever owned) is the XDs I purchased in mid August that I should get back next week, so I'm not the stereotypical brand-x fanboy. Just an old codger that doesn't like to see unnecessary bashing of a company trying to do the right thing.

JD
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Shoot_First
Posts in topic: 23

Post by Shoot_First »

mr surveyor wrote:
ChillMickelson wrote:I'm just not impressed with them calling the fatal flaw fix an "upgrade."

Bad PR

and just what is the "fatal flaw"?

this recall has become downright silly with all the "sky is falling" chatter, and my guess is that most of the whiners either have very little experience with firearms in general or have no "skin in the game" to begin with.

Even if I'm not satisfied with my XDs when I get it back next week, I'm sure that the sun will come up the next day if God so chooses. Springfield acknowledged a potential problem (actually a problem most likely due to having to make this model idiot proof) and spent millions of dollars to address the issue (in reality probably a non-issue).

The only "modern" Springfield firearm I own (or have ever owned) is the XDs I purchased in mid August that I should get back next week, so I'm not the stereotypical brand-x fanboy. Just an old codger that doesn't like to see unnecessary bashing of a company trying to do the right thing.

JD
While "fatal flaw" is an overstatement in that the problem can be fixed; SA calling the fix an "upgrade" is also wrong. My XDs arrived at SA on Sep 3, so I am expecting good news next week.

ChillMickelson
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ChillMickelson »

This certainly looks like a fatal flaw:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But the post was really about the "upgrade" as they are spinning it and not a fix (what it REALLY is).
EDC: Springfield XDs .45 w/ Minotaur MTAC
NRA Member / TSRA Member
Phat Beats & Bassline Enthusiast
Family Man.

Shoot_First

Post by Shoot_First »

ChillMickelson wrote:This certainly looks like a fatal flaw:

But the post was really about the "upgrade" as they are spinning it and not a fix (what it REALLY is).

Seems to me that a fatal flaw would mean the pistol is dead, fini, cannot be fixed. So Chili, how do you define fatal flaw? I agree with you on the upgrade part.

ChillMickelson

Post by ChillMickelson »

Shoot_First wrote:

Seems to me that a fatal flaw would mean the pistol is dead, fini, cannot be fixed. So Chili, how do you define fatal flaw? I agree with you on the upgrade part.

Fatal flaw in the non-Greek sense would be a mistake that could result in a catastrophic breakdown. In this case... Seems quite clear that a discharge could be quite catastrophic and could easily cause serious injury or even death.
NRA Member / TSRA Member
Family Man.

Shoot_First

Post by Shoot_First »

sookandy wrote:I think they got it about Sep 3rd. I had it on its way within a day or two of the recall notice.
Mine was delivered at 9:58am on Sep 3rd and I think ATDM's and Teamless' also arrived about the same time. Unlike Sookandy, I have not received a return notice from SA. Teamless? ATDM?

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

got my tracking number this afternoon ... return delivery slated for Wednesday

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 40

Post by Excaliber »

This video, while interesting, is not the whole issue. I'm pretty sure that the folks who had the gun discharge on slide release or fire double or triple shots were not holding it by the bottom of the grip without depressing the grip safety.

It appears that a very complex interplay of parts, and perhaps manufacturing tolerances, is involved. Remember that Springfield sold hundreds of thousands of these before the issue turned up. It would appear that not all guns had the problem, but apparently there was no way to tell which ones did and which ones didn't. It's also possible that the issue only surfaced when several conditions came together in a certain way, in which case the gun may appear to function fine for quite a while - until it didn't.

I'm really curious to see a credible truly detailed analysis of what happens when these guns malfunction.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Stripes Dude
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Stripes Dude »

Anyone else get a letter in the mail today? Seems like SA has a very slow process. Almost two months since the recall and I'm finally getting officially notified.

Sangiovese
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Sangiovese »

Shoot_First wrote:
sookandy wrote:I think they got it about Sep 3rd. I had it on its way within a day or two of the recall notice.
Mine was delivered at 9:58am on Sep 3rd and I think ATDM's and Teamless' also arrived about the same time. Unlike Sookandy, I have not received a return notice from SA. Teamless? ATDM?
I'm not Teamless or ATDM, but mine was delivered to Springfield at 9:54am on Sep 3rd. I have not yet received a return notice. So you're not the only one from that timeframe who is still waiting. Hope that helps.
NRA Endowment Member. Texas LTC Instructor. NRA certified Pistol & Home Firearm Safety Instructor - Range Safety Officer

Any comments about legal matters are general in nature and are not legal advice. Nothing posted on this forum is intended to establish an attorney-client relationship.

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

mr surveyor wrote:got my tracking number this afternoon ... return delivery slated for Wednesday

just in case I wasn't totally clear .... the tracking number is for the trip FROM Illinois, and the Wednesday delivery is TO downtown Stumpwater, Texas :cool:

ChillMickelson

Post by ChillMickelson »

Excaliber wrote:

This video, while interesting, is not the whole issue. I'm pretty sure that the folks who had the gun discharge on slide release or fire double or triple shots were not holding it by the bottom of the grip without depressing the grip safety.

It appears that a very complex interplay of parts, and perhaps manufacturing tolerances, is involved. Remember that Springfield sold hundreds of thousands of these before the issue turned up. It would appear that not all guns had the problem, but apparently there was no way to tell which ones did and which ones didn't. It's also possible that the issue only surfaced when several conditions came together in a certain way, in which case the gun may appear to function fine for quite a while - until it didn't.

I'm really curious to see a credible truly detailed analysis of what happens when these guns malfunction.
The video is saying a lot more than SA. They haven't really said much... But hey, we get an upgraded gun now.
NRA Member / TSRA Member
Family Man.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

I Havent received anything from SA yet on the return of mine.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

Teamless wrote:I Havent received anything from SA yet on the return of mine.

have you checked the website for the status? Mine changed to "fixed" on Friday afternoon and the email for shipping notice came today at 5:00 p.m.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

Status shows "your gun has been received" still.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”