State Fair

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

spolct
Posts in topic: 1

Re: State Fair

Post by spolct »

knotquiteawake wrote:The security guy for me just said "here let me save you some trouble." looked at my CHL and said have a nice day! I just shrugged and walked on in.
It was a far cry from last year's psycho lady who flipped out when I didn't let her grab my CHL out of my hand.
sounds like what he meant was 'here let me save me some trouble' calling the LEO over. probably has had more than a few CHLers thru his line in the past week or so.

DFC

Post by DFC »

My wife, daughter and I went to the fair on Monday. I had my CHL in my hand and was ready to show it but didn't need to. They wanded me and it went off but I don't think they heard it. Walked right in...so much for security.

Jihans

Post by Jihans »

I went on Sunday, when my turn at the wand came up I politely told the guy I preferred not to be wanded, he said no problem and pointed me to the LEO. He looked at my CHL and wished me a good day. No problems at all.

ajwakeboarder
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ajwakeboarder »

Keith B wrote:
ajwakeboarder wrote:
Keith B wrote:
ajwakeboarder wrote:My girlfriend and I went yesterday. I had no trouble getting through the gate. I asked to see a LEO or supervisor, the supervisor took me to a LEO who simply checked my CHL and told us to have fun. There were some interesting signs around the park. On the Big Tex museum there was a non compliant 30.05 sign which i ignored. However there was a red 51% sign on an outdoor vendor that made me stop and do a double take. I couldn't understand how they could post that in an open area like that. All in all it was a fun day and I got to test my new BUG and holster for carry.
It is possible a specific area may be 51% if it is a beer garden, etc. It depends on how the license is applied for and the area designated by the vendor for alcohol sales.
I don't think so. It was a concessions stand in the middle of Midway just like all the other one's in the park.
Could be that that one vendor is 51%. Do they have a seating area? If so, it may be off limits.
nope, no seating area. It was a stand in between two other identical stands. there was nothing closed off or anything around. It was open like most of the rest of the fair.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

jggatlin

Post by jggatlin »

I went to the fair Thursday

I just held up my hand and said "I'd rather not be wanded." and flashed my CHL. The guy didn't even look at it, he just waived me through. It could have been a driver's license (as they look almost identical).

We spent a casual afternoon there and I didn't see any handgun related signs. I visited both the beer gardens and had several beverages.

Aggiedad
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Aggiedad »

katmandu wrote:I went to the State Fair today - here are photos of the Old Mill entrance. I didn't see a 30.06 or 51% at all, just the "unlicensed possession" one. ( I didn't go inside though, as I was at the fair for a Fletcher's corny dog anyway :cool: )

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

No problems at gate - asked wander to speak to a supervisor or police officer. Office checked CHL and said thank you.
No 51% sign either as reported by others ...

Texas1999

Post by Texas1999 »

I went on Friday. When I approached the security line I simply said, "I need to see a supervisor or police officer, please." The guy pointed to the cop who was sitting in an elevated booth just behind the entrance. I gave the cop my CHL and DL and was told to have a nice visit. Didn't see any 30.06 or 51% signs anywhere.
Glock 22 Gen 3

Blindref757

Post by Blindref757 »

A buddy of mine went last week and was armed. He got waived on to the DPD officer and said that nobody ever asked for or scanned his ticket. He said next time he isn't paying $17! :lol:

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Dragonfighter »

spolct wrote:
knotquiteawake wrote:The security guy for me just said "here let me save you some trouble." looked at my CHL and said have a nice day! I just shrugged and walked on in.
It was a far cry from last year's psycho lady who flipped out when I didn't let her grab my CHL out of my hand.
sounds like what he meant was 'here let me save me some trouble' calling the LEO over. probably has had more than a few CHLers thru his line in the past week or so.
and
jggatlin wrote:I went to the fair Thursday

I just held up my hand and said "I'd rather not be wanded." and flashed my CHL. The guy didn't even look at it, he just waived me through. It could have been a driver's license (as they look almost identical).
You don't need, nor should it be a problem not to show your CHL to anyone other then the LEO at the gate. If they ask to see mine, there will be a hassle. I spent too much time fighting with them, The State Fair of Texas as well as corresponding with and providing details to DPS for their investigation. I will never give anyone with Platinum more than the courtesy I would lend to anyone.

Added in Edit: For those interested in a historical brief, I had prepared This Document for the members' use here. Please disregard the (multiple) typos, it was prepared by the blue glow of a monitor in the wee hours of the morning and quickly posted it sans proofread.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by drjoker »

Thanks for the advice, guys. I asked to speak to the police officer instead of dealing with crazy security ladies so for the first time I was not harassed at the fair.

gemini

Post by gemini »

[quote="Dragonfighter"]
You don't need, nor should it be a problem not to show your CHL to anyone other then the LEO at the gate. If they ask to see mine, there will be a hassle. I spent too much time fighting with them, The State Fair of Texas as well as corresponding with and providing details to DPS for their investigation. I will never give anyone with Platinum more than the courtesy I would lend to anyone.
quote]

:iagree: This, exactly.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I went yesterday and had my Colt Defender IWB. I was expecting to tell the wander I needed to see LEO but as I walked up to him and before I could say a word he wanded me and it did not go off. Same with the wife.

Makes you feel warm and fuzzy doesn't it. :biggrinjester:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

Mrs. Chemist & I went to the fair on Thursday. The lady with the wand waived us through without wanding either of us.

TexGalRK

Post by TexGalRK »

When we went to the fair this past week, we walked up, informed them we were chl-ees, they wanted my kids and told us to go see the officer inside the gate after paying. We walked over to her, my husband handed his chl to her and a moment later I handed her mine. She then says, "You have one too!?". Sounding, at the very least, condescending. She looks at em a second, hands em back to us, then says something to the effect of, "What are you expecting, a damn war? Good god..." Then continued to grumble about it, acting all offended by it. I laughed a truly fake, sarcastic laugh and walked away quickly with my family.
Not horrible, but unnerving, as she was loud and obnoctious about it. My husband even commented about how he couldn't believe she said/acted like that.
Oh well, I was able to carry and that's what mattered to us!

RK-
:fire

:txflag:

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

TexGalRK wrote:When we went to the fair this past week, we walked up, informed them we were chl-ees, they wanted my kids and told us to go see the officer inside the gate after paying. We walked over to her, my husband handed his chl to her and a moment later I handed her mine. She then says, "You have one too!?". Sounding, at the very least, condescending. She looks at em a second, hands em back to us, then says something to the effect of, "What are you expecting, a darn war? Good god..." Then continued to grumble about it, acting all offended by it. I laughed a truly fake, sarcastic laugh and walked away quickly with my family.
Not horrible, but unnerving, as she was loud and obnoctious about it. My husband even commented about how he couldn't believe she said/acted like that.
Oh well, I was able to carry and that's what mattered to us!

RK-
:fire

:txflag:

They wanted your kids??? :shock:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”