What's your favorite hearing protection?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
bagman45
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

What's your favorite hearing protection?

Post by bagman45 »

Looking to buy some new hearing protection. Have a couple of pairs of regular "block all sounds" earmuffs, but my boys are using them now, so I've been using plugs. Thought this might be a good opportunity to look into 20th century technology, so have started researching the "active electronic" jobs. Lots of options at all price ranges, no reviews that have convinced me that one is clearly better than the others. Would like to spend $50 or less, but would pay more if it was really worth it. Does anyone have a favorite that they would recommend? What do you all use???

longhorn86
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What's your favorite hearing protection?

Post by longhorn86 »

I use these electronic muffs:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Howard-L ... t104381280" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are "low profile" so they don't get in the way when I'm shooting a rifle. I really like the fact that they cancel the damaging noise, yet they allow you to hear the voices of those around you while at the range.
NRA Life Member

Munk

Post by Munk »

Those are the ones I use, too. Love them.
III%

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

If handgun only R-01902; if both hand and long R-01526 low profile.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NavAir

Post by NavAir »

Passive David Clark muffs over foam plugs. I shoot some loud rifles...

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Howard Leight Impact Sport Earmuff plus custom inside the ear plugs - can't get enough hearing protection.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

The instructor at the advanced handgun class I took claimed that Peltor was the best. He said he kept a Peltor and shooting glasses on his nightstand to don if he thought he might have to defend himself inside the house. I have both Howard Leight and Peltor, and I like them both. However, I do prefer the controls on the Peltor, and I believe the sound processing is a little better. But they are more expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-SV-Tactical-He ... pd_cp_hi_3
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Walkers Alpha Power Muffs Electronic Hearing Protection

They can be had from $40.00 up depending on where you buy them. I bought a pair at Academy a year or two ago for $49.00. I love them, for loud guns or indoor I use soft plugs and the muffs over them with the sound turned high enough to hear with the plugs. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I use the Peltor mentioned above. I tried several pairs before finding the Peltor and I would not change.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

longhorn86 wrote:I use these electronic muffs:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Howard-L ... t104381280" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are "low profile" so they don't get in the way when I'm shooting a rifle. I really like the fact that they cancel the damaging noise, yet they allow you to hear the voices of those around you while at the range.
I prefer the Howard Leight muffs because of the design of the head piece. Instead of the constant curve, the top is flat and this cuts down on the pressure on your ears. All muffs eventually get uncomfortable, but I can wear the Howard Leight muff much longer without discomfort. I also like the automatic "off" in case you forget to turn them off.

Chas.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I get along fine with the electronic muffs from Harbor Freight - $16.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

rotor

Post by rotor »

I personally hate the Howard Leight. Don't fit me, perhaps the shape of my head. Never could get a good seal. Also at best they have 22 db noise reduction. They are not electronic noise reduction. They have a microphone sound input to allow speaking voice in. Many people think these are noise reduction. Not so. I didn't need the microphone input as everything came in anyway. Also, they have been bought out by Honeywell and service is terrible.
Whatever you buy, try them on first and make sure they fit. I still use cheap Winchester muffs, 27 db noise reduction passive. I also just bought a set of Peltor ear plugs, fit pretty good. 3 pair for $6.
Ear protection is like the holy grail.... I am still looking.

Pecos

Post by Pecos »

I just have a cheap pair of muffs I picked up at the gun store.
After reading these posts I may get some electronis ear muffs.I like the idea of still being able to hear while the harmfun DBs afer muffled. :thumbs2:
Sig AR 516 + Vortex PST Scope

iom

Post by iom »

longhorn86 wrote:I use these electronic muffs:

------------------------------------------------

I use these same Howard Leight earmuffs and do like them quite abit when pistol shooting. However, I have found that I can not use them with a shotgun or rifle. Others might be able to, but I couldn't.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”