College Rings?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

rwg3
Posts in topic: 1

Re: College Rings?

Post by rwg3 »

It depends, I have a fairly special college ring, varsity club ring, that gets commented on frequently. It has helped in business several times and often serves as opening point of conversation. The alumni networks do exist in the business world and any way you can tap into that in a less than overt way will help.
"Moderation is the silken string running through the pearl-chain of all virtues", Thomas Fuller

Capt Jeff
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Capt Jeff »

I bought my first Aggie ring as soon as I could before graduation. Had that one stolen out of my cabin while on a ship in Subic Bay. Bought another one soon after, and wound up leaving it in a BOQ room in Yokosuka, Japan.

Have often thought of replacing it again, but now the prices are too high to justify the purchase.

If I still had one, I would proudly war it while not out at work on a ship.

Class of '89 - Gig 'em!
NRA Life (Patronage) Member

US Merchant Marine - The Fourth Arm of Defense

Pete92FS

Post by Pete92FS »

I'm not an Aggie or a Tea-Sip but I still wear mine. Go Bearkats - class of "73. :thumbs2:
Last edited by Pete92FS on Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHL since 01/26/09

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

mojo84 wrote:Only folks I know that still wear their college rings are Aggies.
Word. Have mine on now.

CPT Jeff - I have a "misc jewelry" rider on my HOI that covers everything but the wife's rock with $0 deductible through USAA. It is very inexpensive compared against the replacement value of an Aggie ring.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

Still have my college and HS rings, found them the other day going through one of my drawers. Wore the HS ring in HS and wore the college ring in college and maybe a few years after but that was that. Like others, when I see someone (age of 30 and up) wearing a college ring it's usually an Aggie. I know some folks who wear similar rings due to a sales award, commemoration of an event, etc. Just one more item to give the perps a second thought of "might be worth robbing" in my opinion. I tend to wear understated stuff (wedding ring and watches, they are nice watches but not common watches), well, other than my hawaiian shirts! :biggrinjester:

Capt Jeff
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Capt Jeff »

gigag04 wrote:
Word. Have mine on now.

CPT Jeff - I have a "misc jewelry" rider on my HOI that covers everything but the wife's rock with $0 deductible through USAA. It is very inexpensive compared against the replacement value of an Aggie ring.
Thanks for tip. :patriot: Its been far too long now, and I didn't have the insurance back then. I do now, though.
NRA Life (Patronage) Member

US Merchant Marine - The Fourth Arm of Defense

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

I did not buy one and I do not regret it. I enjoyed my time at school but I never identified with it enough to wear a ring. I'm also not big on jewelry in general.
Psalm 91:2

williamkevin

Post by williamkevin »

I don't have a college ring, but I wear a collegiate style Marine Corps ring to this day (24 years later).

Tass

Post by Tass »

Aggie Grad and wear mine daily (as does the company president who is the only other Aggie at the company). Volunteered recently to help pass out Aggie Rings to eligible seniors. There were 3500 rings to hand out. Many seniors had their whole families with them to celebrate. One Ag had 4 generations of Aggies there to support him and all were wearing their rings. It was touching to see parents/grandparents present the rings to the students. A lot of laughter and tears that day!

Tass
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of '92
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh crap, she's up"

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

West Pointers are known as "Ring Thumpers" in the Army because they rarely do not wear their class ring.

I haven't worn a ring for years. I have a high school, college, and wedding ring and got tired of having to take them off when working around live electrical parts so I left them in the drawer instead of chancing loosing them. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I have one somewhere. I stopped wearing it about 20 years ago. I do, however, wear a Masonic ring that is similar in style now.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Actually Mojo, the term is "ring knocker" for academy grads. And it is usually derogatory. It refers to academy grads knocking their rings on the bar in the O'club to attract other academy grads (ostensibly so they didn't have to associate with OCS grads).

and full dislcosure. I am a ring knocker: Navy '69
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

gigag04 wrote:
Word. Have mine on now.
What a coincidence. So do I. :mrgreen: :thumbs2:
TANSTAAFL

Return to “Off-Topic”