State Fair

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

bizarrenormality

Re: State Fair

Post by bizarrenormality »

Dragonfighter wrote:"It is owned by the city AND the amusement park question is irrelevant."
With that I agree completely. :thumbs2:

GrillKing
Posts in topic: 1

Post by GrillKing »

SC1903A3 wrote:When I went to the State Fair last year when the gate security started to wand me I pointed at the DPD officer and said I needed to speak to him. Showed the officer my CHL. His response was to remind me the Old Mill Stream restaurant was 30.06 posted and that the Cotton Bowel was off limits during games. I made a snarky comment about gate security not knowing how to wand people. He laughed and said Yeah. :txflag:
Why would the Old Mill Stream Restaurant be 30.06 posted. Is it not on fair property?

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

GrillKing wrote:
SC1903A3 wrote:When I went to the State Fair last year when the gate security started to wand me I pointed at the DPD officer and said I needed to speak to him. Showed the officer my CHL. His response was to remind me the Old Mill Stream restaurant was 30.06 posted and that the Cotton Bowel was off limits during games. I made a snarky comment about gate security not knowing how to wand people. He laughed and said Yeah. :txflag:
Why would the Old Mill Stream Restaurant be 30.06 posted. Is it not on fair property?
51%

gmckinl

Post by gmckinl »

RottenApple wrote:
GrillKing wrote:
51%
Not 51%; Gun Sign = Blue, per TABC
NRA Life Member

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

Dirthawking

Post by Dirthawking »

If it is 30.06 posted it is because they want it to be. Tabc rules and 30.06 are different creatures.
Some people simply need a high five, to the face, with a chair!

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

Dirthawking wrote:If it is 30.06 posted it is because they want it to be. Tabc rules and 30.06 are different creatures.
The question is then, is it enforceable since the property itself is still owned by the city? Some people, usually the business owners, still think they can.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

JKTex

Post by JKTex »

See the FAQ above.

The Old Mill is a 51% establishment, that's it as said above. It's not posted 30.06.

And there's no reason to get too obvious or sneaky or need a secret handshake or hand signal to an LEO. :mrgreen: You go through the gate. If they wand and your handgun alerts, they'll either ask you about it or not. I was asked if I have a phone or something and I just said no, it's a handgun. That was it, went on in and fought the ridiculous crowds of people pushing and shoving and rolling over your feet with strollers. :smilelol5:

The State fair is the STATE fair. It's post restricted because it can't, and the State Fair doens't have a problem wiht it and it's never been an issue that I'm aware of. A couple news channels covered it a few years ago, and it was pretty much fluffs and yawns to fill air time. There was no public uprising or riot. :txflag:

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

JKTex wrote: The Old Mill is a 51% establishment, that's it as said above. It's not posted 30.06.
The Old Mill is NOT a 51% establishment per TABC.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

katmandu

Post by katmandu »

I went to the State Fair today - here are photos of the Old Mill entrance. I didn't see a 30.06 or 51% at all, just the "unlicensed possession" one. ( I didn't go inside though, as I was at the fair for a Fletcher's corny dog anyway :cool: )

No problems at gate - asked wander to speak to a supervisor or police officer. Office checked CHL and said thank you.

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Dragonfighter »

JKTex wrote:See the FAQ above.

The Old Mill is a 51% establishment, that's it as said above. It's not posted 30.06.
Addressed above and below.
<SNIP>
JKTex wrote:The State fair is the STATE fair. It's post restricted because it can't, and the State Fair doens't have a problem wiht it and it's never been an issue that I'm aware of. A couple news channels covered it a few years ago, and it was pretty much fluffs and yawns to fill air time. There was no public uprising or riot. :txflag:
When CHL's first came out, there was no issue or even wand waving security theater. After 911 they restricted carry but I and a few others I know managed to carry anyway because, well, the "security" personnel were not that sharp. When the law changed and they could no longer restrict they tried to make it as difficult as possible with making you wait, security supervisors collecting all types of personal information...they most definitely had a problem with it. They got away with it once, then I started refusing information unless they reciprocated (Name, DL#, address and phone number) when the argument started I very calmly informed them they were breaking the law and to get the gate cop over here. Once the cop was involved I would be able to proceed in without issue. The last time they tried it (again demanding the security supervisor go first which deteriorated pretty quickly and that time the cop chewed on him some) I wrote a long letter detailing all of the violations committed by Platinum Security to the State Fair of Texas and CC'd to DPS security complaints. DPS got back almost immediately and informed me that this was indeed a violation and that Platinum was under investigation and my complaint was being added to a long list. The next year it was go to the gate supervisor, who then took you to the cop, only a minor inconvenience and it has been getting simpler every year.

So they DID have a problem with it and only when faced with criminal and possible civil actions did they recant. And there was an uprising but in the fashion that is common amongst those of our ilk; polite but firm resistance and letter writing that got the changes in place.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by drjoker »

C-dub wrote:I will not be going this year, but this is what I've done the last few years. I don't tell anyone at the gate that I have a CHL or gun or anything like that. I just tel them that I would like to see an officer. They usually know what I mean anyway and will just walk me to them. I do not show anyone except the officer my CHL. A few years ago one of the security folks tried to insist that they needed to document my name and address or phone number and I wouldn't let them and argued, in the officer's presence, that they could not prevent me from carrying since the park was owned by the city and that providing any personal information to anyone working there would amount to a form of registration. The officer agreed with me.

Since then they have not tried to collect any information from me, but have heard from others here that they have tried occasionally. That is probably more the Platinum Security folks, though, rather than the wanders or gate supervisors. Some of those Platinum folks get a little uppity. Last year was the easiest for me. The gate folks were very polite and no one yelled out anything like we've heard from some folks.
Yeah, the security folk harassed me last year. I think that's a good idea. I should just ask to speak to the police officer and NOT show my CHL to the security guy.

Last year, the security guy tried his best to make me commit a crime. He kept asking me to empty my pockets and I told him I cannot do so because I have a gun in my pocket and it is a CONCEALED handgun law. So, I yelled for the police officer, at which point he shut up. The police officer asked him why he didn't just send me to her. He then replied, "Why do you have to bring a gun to the fair?" I wish I could send all those who don't want liberty to China or North Korea....

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

drjoker wrote: "Why do you have to bring a gun to the fair?"
My response would be "Why are you wanding everybody?"

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

drjoker wrote:
C-dub wrote:I will not be going this year, but this is what I've done the last few years. I don't tell anyone at the gate that I have a CHL or gun or anything like that. I just tel them that I would like to see an officer. They usually know what I mean anyway and will just walk me to them. I do not show anyone except the officer my CHL. A few years ago one of the security folks tried to insist that they needed to document my name and address or phone number and I wouldn't let them and argued, in the officer's presence, that they could not prevent me from carrying since the park was owned by the city and that providing any personal information to anyone working there would amount to a form of registration. The officer agreed with me.

Since then they have not tried to collect any information from me, but have heard from others here that they have tried occasionally. That is probably more the Platinum Security folks, though, rather than the wanders or gate supervisors. Some of those Platinum folks get a little uppity. Last year was the easiest for me. The gate folks were very polite and no one yelled out anything like we've heard from some folks.
Yeah, the security folk harassed me last year. I think that's a good idea. I should just ask to speak to the police officer and NOT show my CHL to the security guy.

Last year, the security guy tried his best to make me commit a crime. He kept asking me to empty my pockets and I told him I cannot do so because I have a gun in my pocket and it is a CONCEALED handgun law. So, I yelled for the police officer, at which point he shut up. The police officer asked him why he didn't just send me to her. He then replied, "Why do you have to bring a gun to the fair?" I wish I could send all those who don't want liberty to China or North Korea....
The best response would be to ask the police officer why he brought a gun to fair. These JBT's don't realize, that they're just citizens as well, and increasingly, are proving they deserve more restrictions than actual law abiding restrictions.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Dragonfighter »

chamberc wrote:<SNIP>

The best response would be to ask the police officer why he brought a gun to fair. These JBT's don't realize, that they're just citizens as well, and increasingly, are proving they deserve more restrictions than actual law abiding restrictions.
I think that the one asking about the "need" for a gun was the Platinum idiot, not the cop.

FWIW, went yesterday (Gate 6) and as I approached the wand waver; I said, "I need to see that young lady right there," indicating the DPD officer. She simply said, "Oh, right, okay," and waved me on past.

Remember, only DPS can collect information on CHL licensees. If Platinum gives you any grief explain that to them. If they get upset with you get the cops attention. Write the State Fair and DPS of the problem with the name of the wand person and the cop and send it in. I guarantee they will retrain and or fire the person in question.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

I just want to say "thank you" to those who pushed the issue and set the security folks straight at the gates.

I haven't been to the State Fair in 25 years, but I do appreciate your work and hassle getting it right.

:txflag:
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”