CHL Instructor Renewal

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
switch
Posts in topic: 4

CHL Instructor Renewal

Post by switch »

I just got an email from DPS claiming they do not have my CHL90 nor NRA cert. (Their website says all affidavits were received :( ).

I just emailed them a second set. I think I will snail mail them hard copies too. LOL

They did say they have a class(es?) scheduled in DFW BUT did not give me those dates. :(

dogflight
Posts in topic: 3

Re: CHL Instructor Renewal

Post by dogflight »

Received the same email at 7:35 this evening. I mailed all my documentation on July 3rd. The email says that they have "not received the CHL-90 and or supporting documents". So which is it? :banghead:

My online status also indicates the only thing "missing" is the background check and the class. Has had that status for some time.

I guess I'll follow your lead, switch, and email them, plus send another set via Priority Mail. I really don't know why I simply sent it First Class mail originally. Brane faid, I gess.
Certified Texas LTC & NRA Instructor/Basic Pistol.

dogflight

Post by dogflight »

So this afternoon, another email from DPS. Recall yesterday's email read:
...we have not received the CHL-90 and or supporting documents.
Today's fun frolic in the bizarre reads:
The intent of [yesterday's] email was to clarify that even though a CHL 90 was submitted, it is not complete until we receive the supporting documents...
My understanding of the meaning of 'clarify' must be incorrect. Particularly since all my documents were, in fact, included in the original submission.

This is getting ridiculous.
Certified Texas LTC & NRA Instructor/Basic Pistol.

Topic author
switch
Posts in topic: 4

Post by switch »

I got the same email. Apparently, they misplaced my NRA cert. :(

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sjfcontrol »

switch wrote:I got the same email. Apparently, they misplaced my NRA cert. :(
I sent in my certs TWICE by email/web and finally once by smail return-receipt before they registered receiving it.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KC5AV »

I finally gave up trying to upload the documents, and just dropped them in the mail this morning.
NRA lifetime member

Trilogy

Post by Trilogy »

It must be all my clean-livin' but my docs were submitted on 9/17 by email and received OK. I got the email on 9/26 notifying me the only outstanding issue is taking the class in Georgetown.

happy-happy-happy
Trilogy
CHL Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor & RSO

howdy

Post by howdy »

I signed up for the October 22 class in Houston and I have not received a reply confirming this class. Did the October 2&3 class in El Paso go as advertised....anyone on the forum go to it.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Trilogy

Post by Trilogy »

Anybody hear about what is going on with Georgetown? They sent out the email with the dates and time and I responded last week and selected Georgetown on November 6th. Today I received an email from DPS that said this, "You are scheduled for class and will receive a confirmation by email regarding class dates and times once they have been finalized." Does this mean that these classes are subject to cancellation? I'd really like to know for sure that I am locked in.
Trilogy
CHL Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor & RSO

howdy

Post by howdy »

I just re-sent the email confirming the class date that I wanted (October 22 in Houston) They replied almost instantly with this: "You are scheduled for class and will receive a confirmation by email regarding class dates and times once they have been finalized"
Texas LTC Instructor
USMC 1972-1979

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

howdy wrote:I just re-sent the email confirming the class date that I wanted (October 22 in Houston) They replied almost instantly with this: "You are scheduled for class and will receive a confirmation by email regarding class dates and times once they have been finalized"
Why does the instructor renewal process remind me of the Obamacare rollout? :headscratch
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

mikesimm

Post by mikesimm »

How does one know when/where the renewal classes are being held? I got an email from DPS saying it was needed, but didn't give ANY other info.

If it weren't for this forum, I wouldn't have known about the NRA course requirement OR the renewal class.

Is it really too hard to update the DPS web site with current info? Would take about five minutes.

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

I have not received any contact from DPS to date. I emailed the CHL 90 along with the NRA certs and notified them by email I was hoping to take a class in the DFW area. My checklist asked for the NRA certs but also lists fingerprints. I have FAST prints on file so I doubt they need them. Does anyone know if I need the shooting qual done before they will schedule me into a class?
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

Seabear

Post by Seabear »

TexasGal wrote:I have not received any contact from DPS to date. I emailed the CHL 90 along with the NRA certs and notified them by email I was hoping to take a class in the DFW area. My checklist asked for the NRA certs but also lists fingerprints. I have FAST prints on file so I doubt they need them. Does anyone know if I need the shooting qual done before they will schedule me into a class?
I'm in the same boat. I have emailed them several times with no response. I requested to be in the Oct.21 class. it is rapidly aproaching so it would be nice to know where and when. ?????????????????????????????????????? It's starting to look like none of us will be instructors after December 31. :banghead:
Carry safe and carry when and where you can. I'm just sayin'.

howdy

Post by howdy »

TexasGal wrote:I have not received any contact from DPS to date. I emailed the CHL 90 along with the NRA certs and notified them by email I was hoping to take a class in the DFW area. My checklist asked for the NRA certs but also lists fingerprints. I have FAST prints on file so I doubt they need them. Does anyone know if I need the shooting qual done before they will schedule me into a class?

I sent my stuff in around the middle of August and never heard anything. I got the class email with the dates and I requested the Oct class in Houston. I heard NOTHING back. I re-sent the request on Monday and got this immediate reply: "You are scheduled for class and will receive a confirmation by email regarding class dates and times once they have been finalized" I have not qualified with the gun yet. I really believe this is an effort to weed out the Instructors that don't instruct very much (like me). This is a major hassle. I am a retired guy and every day is Saturday to me. I do have a busy schedule and would like to know if I need to book the entire day of October 22 off. This has to be a major pain for people with a full time job. This could be really expensive for a Physician, Lawyer, CPA, AC repairman, etc. that schedules appointments during the day. I guess you leave your calendar open that day and hope for the best.
Texas LTC Instructor
USMC 1972-1979

Return to “Instructors' Corner”