Best ammo for .45 ACP Personal Protection

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
AggieMike
Posts in topic: 4

Best ammo for .45 ACP Personal Protection

Post by AggieMike »

Ok so I have my .40's nailed been down the road, tested, etc. Now I have the FNH FNX Tactical .45 that I need ammo for carry....have a ton of practice ammo, but now Carry ammo is the question. I have some Corbon 185 Grain +P that I purchased for my 1911 that just happened to be available while I was in a shop. That said and now that I have time, I wanted to reach out to this community who probably has 1 or 2 folks that carry the .45 already. So the question is, what do you carry in your .45...reviews have been all over the map. The two I see coming up the most are the Federal HST 230 Grain +P and Speer Gold dot 200 Grain +P. Any thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
I don't carry my 40 all the time, just when I leave my home!

Sangiovese
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Best ammo for .45 ACP Personal Protection

Post by Sangiovese »

I think any self-defense round from one of the major manufacturers is going to do its part if necessary. The differences seem pretty small to me.

Personally, I use Gold Dot 230gr JHPs, but I would feel comfortable using a different round after running a few boxes through my gun to make sure it feeds reliably.
NRA Endowment Member. Texas LTC Instructor. NRA certified Pistol & Home Firearm Safety Instructor - Range Safety Officer

Any comments about legal matters are general in nature and are not legal advice. Nothing posted on this forum is intended to establish an attorney-client relationship.

Topic author
AggieMike

Post by AggieMike »

Thanks, and that is what I found in .40. I narrowed down my selection and then ran quite a few to make sure I liked it. That is what I hope to do here is narrow down and see what it likes to eat and is accurate. Thanks!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My two carry loads in .45 ACP are Federal 230 Grain HST, and Speer 230 Grain Gold Dots. In my short-barreled .45s, I use a 185 grain +P load.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I don't often carry my .45 but when I do it is loaded with one of three loads, in order - - -

1. 230 grain Federal HST

2. 230 grain Federal Hydra Shock

3. 230 grain Federal Classic

All are standard pressure,and all are 230 grain bullets. You can't go wrong with any of these time proven rounds. I also have some Remington UMC 230 grain JHP 100 round packs squirrelled away for a rainy day. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Topic author
AggieMike

Post by AggieMike »

So HST as I expected on the very short list....thanks a million!

Shoot_First

Post by Shoot_First »

I use Hornady Critical Duty +P 220GR in my full size truck gun and Hornady Critical Defense 185GR in my compact EDC. My son, a SLC, UT LEO carries department issue Speer Gold Dot 230GR JHP in his duty 1911. All mentioned above by others are good carry rounds. Shot placement is probably more important that one round over another. Practice, practice, practice! I shoot at least 100 rounds a week.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Shorter barrels need 185s or. 200s max to get speed. I liked 230gr Gold Dots at work for a G21SF when I was full time.

I keep Good Dots or Hornady Critical Duty/Critical Defense around as much as possible.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

ixslr8

Post by ixslr8 »

i see no one has mentioned winchester ranger t? i use them in my 40/9. is their 45 load subpar?

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Federal HST 230 Grain all day every day. Works like a champ in my M&P .45c.

jmra

Post by jmra »

carlson1 wrote:Federal HST 230 Grain all day every day. Works like a champ in my M&P .45c.
:iagree: when it expands it makes a pretty flower too.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

ixslr8 wrote:i see no one has mentioned winchester ranger t? i use them in my 40/9. is their 45 load subpar?
I've used them before, but rarely find them anymore.

Generally, I carry the following three. The same list applies pretty much to other calibers.

Speer Gold Dot
Hornady Critical Defense/Duty
Federal HST or Hydroshock
I've carried Remington Golden Saber and Winchester HP's before.

Sometimes is comes down to which I can find in 50 round boxes. With high capacity mags, 20 round boxes don't fill two magazines.

Topic author
AggieMike

Post by AggieMike »

Thanks for all the input and shot placement and practice not an issue. I actually use PDX-1's in my .40's, but hadn't seen it is .45. And good point on High Capacity magazines. Barrel length isn't an issue as the FNX Tactical is 5.3" and hold 15 in each magazine so buying some quantity is key. Once I find the one I like I usually keep plenty on hand.

Hamourkiller

Post by Hamourkiller »

What ever is in the pistol when I need it. Any reliable round in 45ACP is a good defensive load

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”