Word use that drives you up the wall!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 34

Re: Word use that drives you up the wall!

Post by Oldgringo »

WildBill wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:Here's another one: ..."there" for they're and/or their.
:iagree: Your right!

Did anyone post lose and loose?

How about ect?
'Advice' and 'advise' are another couple of loosely used words. One is a noun and the other is a verb. Guess which is which?

Abraham
Posts in topic: 148

Post by Abraham »

Bro

Shudder!

WildBill
Posts in topic: 109

Post by WildBill »

Oldgringo wrote:
WildBill wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:Here's another one: ..."there" for they're and/or their.
:iagree: Your right!

Did anyone post lose and loose?

How about ect?
'Advice' and 'advise' are another couple of loosely used words. One is a noun and the other is a verb. Guess which is which?
I dunno. :headscratch

Affect and effect are also wrongly used.

What about accept and except?
NRA Endowment Member

sunny beach
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sunny beach »

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

sunny beach wrote:[ Image ]
"rlol" How could we have forgotten that?
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
Dadtodabone
Posts in topic: 41

Post by Dadtodabone »

WildBill wrote:
sunny beach wrote:[ Image ]
"rlol" How could we have forgotten that?
When I was tasked with interviewing candidates for positions with my firm "AXE", instead of ask, would turn off my voice receptors. Nothing the candidate said beyond that point ever reached my brain. If I hadn't had a script for the targeted selection process, I don't know what I would have done.

Candidate: I always axe questions in that circumstance.
Me: Uh huh, TS question 3.
Candidate: Wah, wah, wah, ("Peanuts" cartoon adult vocalization sound)
Me: TS question 4.
Candidate: Yada, Yada, Yada.
Me: TS question 5.
Candidate: Derka, Derka, Derka.
Me: Thank you for coming in. "H.R. Professional"* will follow up with you soon.
It was so bad, "H.R. Professional"* after joining me for a finalist interview, tried to coach me out of it. To no avail.....sigh.

* I always called her H.R. Professional after slipping up and calling her by her first name "Cheryl" instead of "Ms. CarXXXXX". She "felt" that our corporate culture was too collegial/informal when the folks who gave us money weren't around. Good thing she never went out into the field to support operations. She'd a had a heart attack, lol.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

MasterOfNone
Posts in topic: 14

Post by MasterOfNone »

"not un-<whatever>"
e.g., "It's not unreasonable" instead of "It's reasonable"
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

How 'bout, "ROLL TIDE!"

:smilelol5:

Pacifist

Post by Pacifist »

The list is, indeed, a long one, but two that come immediately to mind:

1. "My bad," which, each time I hear it, reminds me of my two-year-old saying, "Uh-oh, me got a boo-boo." How about, "excuse me," "pardon me," or even, horror of horrors, "I'm sorry?"
2. "No problem," as a response from a paid service and/or goods provider for said services or goods after I have expressed my own gratitude for the provision of those goods and/or services in the form of a simple "thank you." Although I'm certainly pleased that the service or goods for which I just compensated you didn't cause you any undue distress or effort, the appropriate response to my courteous and polite expression of gratitude is "you're welcome," "my pleasure," "glad to be of assistance," or any number of even more customer-friendly responses, but never "no problem."

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Pacifist wrote:The list is, indeed, a long one, but two that come immediately to mind:

1. "My bad," which, each time I hear it, reminds me of my two-year-old saying, "Uh-oh, me got a boo-boo." How about, "excuse me," "pardon me," or even, horror of horrors, "I'm sorry?"
2. "No problem," as a response from a paid service and/or goods provider for said services or goods after I have expressed my own gratitude for the provision of those goods and/or services in the form of a simple "thank you." Although I'm certainly pleased that the service or goods for which I just compensated you didn't cause you any undue distress or effort, the appropriate response to my courteous and polite expression of gratitude is "you're welcome," "my pleasure," "glad to be of assistance," or any number of even more customer-friendly responses, but never "no problem."
:iagree:

"No problem", is a problem for me too.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

When the response after graciously expressing gratitude is "No Problem" it sounds like you were done a large favor and the "No Problem" person is being magnanimous about it...in other words, the "No Problem" person is in actuality conveying arrogance.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Abraham wrote:When the response after graciously expressing gratitude is "No Problem" it sounds like you were done a large favor and the "No Problem" person is being magnanimous about it...in other words, the "No Problem" person is in actuality conveying arrogance.
"No problem [mon]" can also mean that, in the larger sense, their action was relatively insignificant. Opening a door or helping you load a heavy package into your car is different than performing life-saving surgery or preventing global warming. ;-)
NRA Endowment Member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Rocking - Coo-wuhl guys saying "Rocking" when they mean utilizing - because if you say "Rocking" it's proof positive you're Coo-wuhl...

tbrown
Posts in topic: 7

Post by tbrown »

Oldgringo wrote:How 'bout, "ROLL TIDE!"

:smilelol5:
Wow. That's almost as bad as "Gig Em" or "Hook Em" said by people over 21. :smilelol5:
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

tbrown
Posts in topic: 7

Post by tbrown »

WildBill wrote:
Abraham wrote:When the response after graciously expressing gratitude is "No Problem" it sounds like you were done a large favor and the "No Problem" person is being magnanimous about it...in other words, the "No Problem" person is in actuality conveying arrogance.
"No problem [mon]" can also mean that, in the larger sense, their action was relatively insignificant. Opening a door or helping you load a heavy package into your car is different than performing life-saving surgery or preventing global warming. ;-)
:thumbs2: It's the English equivalent of the Spanish "de nada" or the French "de rein" but it sounds like maybe such responses should be reserved for those without sticks in uncomfortable places. :smilelol5:
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Return to “Off-Topic”