Everyone Welcome My New Son!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mewalke
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Everyone Welcome My New Son!

Post by mewalke »

Kythas wrote:Thanks, everyone.

At this point, I'd trade in his new rifle and all my guns for some sleep, though.

When do they stop crying all night long?

:cryin
The Darius Rucker song "It Won't Be Like This For Long" comes to mind.

Our first daughter (now almost 3) stopped crying all night after 3 months or so. We found out she had some acid reflux, which is common with babies, so once we starting putting a rolled up blanket under her mattress to incline her a little she stopped crying all night long. Now, sleeping through the entire night? We still have some challenges with that once in awhile!

n5wd
Posts in topic: 1

Post by n5wd »

Congratulations on what looks like a very healthy young man!

Stop crying all night ? Probably pretty soon as long as there's nothing wrong (like mewalke mentioned: acid reflux, something my granddaughter had, as well) - then he'll only cry if he's wet, hungry, bored, or wet, or hungry (they're usually wet or hungry at this age!). Now, sleeping all night? That's a few weeks to a couple of months away! Comes with membership in the Daddy club.

Again, congrats to you and :clapping: CONGRATULATIONS :clapping: to Mom!
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Congrats :clapping:

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SewTexas »

Pawpaw wrote:
Kythas wrote:Thanks, everyone.

At this point, I'd trade in his new rifle and all my guns for some sleep, though.

When do they stop crying all night long?

:cryin
Silly daddy... sleep is for wimps!

:biggrinjester:

;-) give that baby a break....you knew what you were getting into, he just left his nice warm, dark, quiet room for a bright, loud busy place, and he's trying to figure out what's going on....he'll get there, and so will you. love him, sleep when he sleeps. one of the best things we were given was a swing, they have these baby hammocks now, try that. I saw a "make your own" the other day, I'll see if I can find it again. Our daughter wanted to be walked to sleep, then she would sleep, our son wanted to be held, 24/7...
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

Oh my goodness! He is absolutely beautiful! Oh I just want to hold him. This is a moment to treasure. Congratulations and best wishes to you and your wife. Great job mama! :thewave
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SewTexas »

this is the hammock I was telling you about, there are a few others around the webs, you can google around if you're interested, although, I'll tell you, this one is probably one of the best and mentions the other one I like down toward the end.

http://lifeontheroof.blogspot.com/2010/ ... mmock.html My daughter would have loved this thing!
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

TheCytochromeC

Post by TheCytochromeC »

That's really great! Congratulations on your beautiful and healthy baby boy! Soon, he'll grow to love you as a child, then resent you as a teenager, then respect you as an adult and appreciate you as a parent. Ahhh, the circle of parenting.

Topic author
Kythas
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Kythas »

SewTexas wrote:this is the hammock I was telling you about, there are a few others around the webs, you can google around if you're interested, although, I'll tell you, this one is probably one of the best and mentions the other one I like down toward the end.

http://lifeontheroof.blogspot.com/2010/ ... mmock.html My daughter would have loved this thing!
Interesting. I might give that a try. He does seem to settle down when I walk when holding him, and both times he's been in the car (coming home from the hospital and going to the pediatrician this morning) he fell right asleep as soon as the car started moving. This might be a good solution.

At around two o'clock this morning, while he was wailing his lungs out, I remembered that he seemed to rock out to Queen in utero when it came on the radio. So I started singing Bohemian Rhapsody to him. By the third line he was quiet, and by the time I got to "He's just a poor boy from a poor family. Spare him his life from this monstrosity" line, he was sound asleep. I told my wife to get some sleep and held him while sitting in the recliner for a little over three hours. He slept the entire time, and I fell asleep somewhere along the way, too. I then put him in his bassinet and he continued to sleep for another hour until he got hungry. So my wife was able to get four hours of uninterrupted sleep this morning, and I'm thankful for that.
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

Hang in there! Just be careful holding him too much to get him to sleep, he will come to expect it. ;-)

My savior was the bouncy seat that vibrates. You can also try putting him in his car seat and putting him on top of the dryer. That works when you are too tired to go out driving. I'd pull up a chair and get some rest.

What a blessed little baby he is to have a daddy who will sing to him. Obviously he has great taste in music already!

Post updates. They change so much in the early days.
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

What a handsome boy. Must've gotten it from the wife. :biggrinjester:

Congratulations and may God watch over him and your family as he grows.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

Topic author
Kythas
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Kythas »

Well, yesterday was our anniversary. We couldn't go anywhere because the baby is too young yet to go out in public. Immune system and all, being that he was only three days old yesterday.

But, he gave us both the best anniversary present we could have asked for last night: five and a half hours of uninterrupted sleep.
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

rwg3

Post by rwg3 »

Congratulations and Blessings on you all.
"Moderation is the silken string running through the pearl-chain of all virtues", Thomas Fuller

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Congratulations!

The answer to the sleep question is: eventually.

My oldest had day and night reversed, I was working shifts that advanced by one every week (8-4, 4-12, 12-8), and we were living in a one room studio apartment. I didn't get more than a few hours of sleep a night for the first 9 months until he got his internal clock in synch with the rest of the world.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

strider67

Post by strider67 »

Congrats on the blessing bestowed upon y'all!!!
Kythas wrote:...held him while sitting in the recliner for a little over three hours. He slept the entire time, and I fell asleep somewhere along the way, too.
You have discovered the best way to nap known to man...I miss the days of full extension and laying my daughter on my chest. Enjoy!
"When things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plum, mad-dog mean. Cuz' if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win...that's just the way it is." - The Outlaw Josey Wales

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Congrats! Good looking boy you have there. Just remember that a crying baby is a breathing baby. That thought comforts me anytime I hear my daughter cry.

When my daughter was born, we received tons of unsolicited advice on how to raise her, how to prep ourselves for her, etc. Of all the advice I got, there is only one bit that I pass on to all new parents:

When you make the kid's bed, do it in a minimum of three layers: liner, sheet, liner, sheet, liner, sheet. One of these days, when little man is much older (2, 3, or 4?), you're going to wake up to a screaming kid covered in [insert bodily fluid here]. You're going to want to get him back to sleep as quickly as possible after you clean him off and change his clothes, and the last thing you want to have to do is re-make the bed as well. Multiple layers allow you to strip one layer off, and set him back down again (and do it again later in the night, if necessary!).

And yes, it does get better! Here's what my newborn looks like after just 5 years...

Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Return to “Off-Topic”