School District and concealed carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
un0fficial
Posts in topic: 4

School District and concealed carry

Post by un0fficial »

I got an automated call today that they will be holding a special "Community meeting to discuss Concealed Handguns on Campus."

I will be attending, and I'm extremely curious as to what this special meeting about Concealed Handguns will be about. Could they be banning Concealed carry in vehicles? Could they be thinking about allowing teachers with CHL's to possibly carry?

Either way, I will be attending and would maybe like for some of this community to maybe give me some tips for specific scenarios.

For example, if they're trying to ban any concealed carry at all, even locked in the vehicle, can a public school do that? (After Sept. 1)
If they're trying to suggest letting teachers carry in class, (which I do support, as long as that teacher has been trained, and takes regular psychological appointments.)

I should know all the laws behind firearms on school grounds (I know you can NEVER carry inside the building, but as long as its locked in your car it's okay, right? (After Sept. 1))

Thanks Guys/Gals.
Last edited by un0fficial on Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: School District and concealed carry

Post by Keith B »

un0fficial wrote:I recently started substituting for a school district. I got an automated call today that they will be holding a special "Community meeting to discuss Concealed Handguns on Campus."

I will be attending, and I'm extremely curious as to what this special meeting about Concealed Handguns will be about. Could they be banning Concealed carry in vehicles? Could they be thinking about allowing teachers with CHL's to possibly carry?

Either way, I will be attending and would maybe like for some of this community to maybe give me some tips for specific scenarios.

For example, if they're trying to ban any concealed carry at all, even locked in the vehicle, can a public school do that? (After Sept. 1)
If they're trying to suggest letting teachers carry in class, (which I do support, as long as that teacher has been trained, and takes regular psychological appointments.)

I should know all the laws behind firearms on school grounds (I know you can NEVER carry inside the building, but as long as its locked in your car it's okay, right? (After Sept. 1))

Thanks Guys/Gals.
Actually, the answer is no for employees of a school district in the parking lot. Schools were given the exemption from the parking lot law in 2011, so while it is not illegal for an employee to have a legally possessed handgun locked in their vehicle on campus, they can fire you for it.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
un0fficial

Post by un0fficial »

Keith B wrote:
un0fficial wrote:I recently started substituting for a school district. I got an automated call today that they will be holding a special "Community meeting to discuss Concealed Handguns on Campus."

Thanks Guys/Gals.
Actually, the answer is no for employees of a school district in the parking lot. Schools were given the exemption from the parking lot law in 2011, so while it is not illegal for an employee to have a legally possessed handgun locked in their vehicle on campus, they can fire you for it.
Interesting, I haven't had my firearm on me (in my car locked away) when I go to the campus, been wanting to study up on the information before I did.

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

"and takes regular psychological appointments" ......

and what does this mean?
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Topic author
un0fficial

Post by un0fficial »

mr surveyor wrote:"and takes regular psychological appointments" ......

and what does this mean?

Just every few months make sure that they're okay.. no depression, nothing that could be affecting them that could cloud their judgement, etc.

MotherBear

Post by MotherBear »

un0fficial wrote:

and what does this mean?

Just every few months make sure that they're okay.. no depression, nothing that could be affecting them that could cloud their judgement, etc.
Now see, if I thought any school district employee was in a state to need regular psychological evaluations in that vein, I'd say they shouldn't be a school district employee at all. Why is a school district employee any more likely to have psychological issues than anyone else? Why should they be subject to that? It's the same as when people say teachers shouldn't be allowed to carry because what if they have a bad day and just snap and shoot up a classroom? Seriously, anyone who's one bad day away from shooting a kid does NOT belong in a school. Or anywhere else in civilized society. What kind of psychopaths do people think the school districts are hiring, anyway?

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

un0fficial wrote:

and what does this mean?

Wow. Thanks, but no thanks.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Thanks Guys/Gals.
Would love to know the details if it's an open meeting. Where, when?
Would like to be a fly on the wall for that.
:bigear:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

un0fficial wrote:

and what does this mean?

Who doesn't go see a shrink every other week? I've been a lot better since they put me on the pill when they let me out.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Topic author
un0fficial

Post by un0fficial »

jmra wrote:
un0fficial wrote:

and what does this mean?

Honestly now that I think about it, yeah you guys are right. I guess I was just thinking about what the parents would want to hear.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

un0fficial wrote:
jmra wrote:
un0fficial wrote:

and what does this mean?

Honestly now that I think about it, yeah you guys are right. I guess I was just thinking about what the parents would want to hear.

to be perfectly honest.....I'd worry about a government school teacher who wasn't slightly depressed.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

MotherBear wrote:
un0fficial wrote:

and what does this mean?

Now see, if I thought any school district employee was in a state to need regular psychological evaluations in that vein, I'd say they shouldn't be a school district employee at all. Why is a school district employee any more likely to have psychological issues than anyone else? Why should they be subject to that? It's the same as when people say teachers shouldn't be allowed to carry because what if they have a bad day and just snap and shoot up a classroom? Seriously, anyone who's one bad day away from shooting a kid does NOT belong in a school. Or anywhere else in civilized society. What kind of psychopaths do people think the school districts are hiring, anyway?
I'll say it now, 'cause I've said it over and over again, and you can quote me in the meeting, I can guarantee this will come up....if they are so worried that a teacher will "snap and shoot up a classroom full of kids" why aren't teachers snapping everyday and throwing staplers at students heads? or shoving the little ones into walls? or doing some sort of harm? sure we hear about it infrequently, but not every single night and throughout the country....if this were something to be honestly concerned about we should be hearing non-fatal incidents daily.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

treeman

Post by treeman »

Our school had a similiar public meeting a few months back and actually it went fairly well. I heard nothing about teachers "snapping" but did hear concerns about either a student taking a weapon away from a teacher or possibly somehow getting their hands on one of the weapons. The other thought that came up several times was that the teachers were nurturing and teaching types and should not be put in a position where they might have to use a weapon against a student. General concensus of the packed house meeting (probably 200 folks) was that 75 to 80% thought they could support having concealed firearms in the hands of school employees as long as they had additional training and a tight selection process.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

SewTexas wrote:... or doing some sort of harm? sure we hear about it infrequently, but not every single night and throughout the country....if this were something to be honestly concerned about we should be hearing non-fatal incidents daily.
But we do hear about it. And it does happen. I wouldn't use your argument as a counter-point in this circumstance. I'm not saying that those violent events would result in a firearms incident, but those events shouldn't be happening either and pointing them out is probably going to run counter to the point that you want to make.

I'm more afraid (above) of a student being able to take a firearm off a teacher who isn't expecting it. That doesn't mean that a good holster and concealment couldn't prevent it, but it certainly could happen without.

To me it comes down to statistics that we don't have:
Does having firearms in school increase or decrease the amount of death or serious injury sustained in school? Certainly they could be used to stop someone who is doing harm, but they aren't without risk.

jmra

Post by jmra »

cb1000rider wrote:
SewTexas wrote:... or doing some sort of harm? sure we hear about it infrequently, but not every single night and throughout the country....if this were something to be honestly concerned about we should be hearing non-fatal incidents daily.
But we do hear about it. And it does happen. I wouldn't use your argument as a counter-point in this circumstance. I'm not saying that those violent events would result in a firearms incident, but those events shouldn't be happening either and pointing them out is probably going to run counter to the point that you want to make.

I'm more afraid (above) of a student being able to take a firearm off a teacher who isn't expecting it. That doesn't mean that a good holster and concealment couldn't prevent it, but it certainly could happen without.

To me it comes down to statistics that we don't have:
Does having firearms in school increase or decrease the amount of death or serious injury sustained in school? Certainly they could be used to stop someone who is doing harm, but they aren't without risk.
We've had firearms in schools for years - it's those things hanging on the belts of school resource officers.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”