School carry question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Elza
Posts in topic: 1

School carry question

Post by Elza »

Our granddaughter attends a private Christian school. I had a chat with the head man today regarding their CC policy.

He told me that CC is fine as far as the school is concerned. He only asks to know who is carrying. YEEHAW! Not only that, he has a CHL as do several members of the church. They even held a CHL class at the church for its members. My kinda place! :mrgreen:

Since this was done verbally am I covered or would something in writing be better from the CYA standpoint?
Fred Schroeder

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering, if during their life on earth, they made a difference in the world. But, soldiers don't have that problem.

Teamless

Re: School carry question

Post by Teamless »

because its a school (private or public doesn't matter), I would get it in writing to CYB (cover yer butt)
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Teamless wrote:because its a school (private or public doesn't matter), I would get it in writing to CYB (cover yer butt)
:iagree:

I would draft a short letter for him, saving him some time.... and ask him to print/sign it on school letterhead. Not only does this give you a clear authorization, but if the person who authorized you leaves for greener pastures, you have signed authorization that should still be valid until revoked. No need to go begging to the new guy.

"This letter authorizes __________________________ to carry a concealed weapon on campus, including into buildings, facilities and all school-related events. This authorization shall continue until revoked in writing, as long as ___________________________ maintains a Concealed Handgun License that is valid in the state of Texas.

Signed
John Smith
Headmaster"

(Or something like that.... I am not a lawyer, this is my OPINION, not legal advice)
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Teamless wrote:because its a school (private or public doesn't matter), I would get it in writing to CYB (cover yer butt)

I would draft a short letter for him, saving him some time.... and ask him to print/sign it on school letterhead. Not only does this give you a clear authorization, but if the person who authorized you leaves for greener pastures, you have signed authorization that should still be valid until revoked. No need to go begging to the new guy.

"This letter authorizes __________________________ to carry a concealed weapon on campus, including into buildings, facilities and all school-related events. This authorization shall continue until revoked in writing, as long as ___________________________ maintains a Concealed Handgun License that is valid in the state of Texas.

Signed
John Smith
Headmaster"

(Or something like that.... I am not a lawyer, this is my OPINION, not legal advice)

If the current granting authority leaves the school, I would think that the permission goes away since they are no longer in a position of authority at the school. But getting it in writing is still a good idea.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

RoyGBiv wrote:

Signed
John Smith
Headmaster"

NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Tic Tac

Post by Tic Tac »

Oral permission is worthless for 46.03 purposes. The law says "unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution" in black and white.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”