Which other states CHL to get?

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Which other states CHL to get?

Post by Jumping Frog »

aaangel wrote:i got the PA license for my yearly trip to morgantown, WV . TX has signed a reciprocity with WV. i heard FL is the best option because it gives more states (correct me if i'm wrong)
FL only gives you one state since they lost reciprocity with WA.

UT is better.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

aaangel
Posts in topic: 2

Post by aaangel »

Jumping Frog wrote:
aaangel wrote:i got the PA license for my yearly trip to morgantown, WV . TX has signed a reciprocity with WV. i heard FL is the best option because it gives more states (correct me if i'm wrong)
FL only gives you one state since they lost reciprocity with WA.

UT is better.
thanks JF, edited my post.
'got to Texas ASAIC.

brhalltx
Posts in topic: 2

Post by brhalltx »

Jumping Frog wrote:
brhalltx wrote:If you want to add states... And I don't know the difficulty of any of these, but was curious...

New Hampshire adds New Hampshire. I had a New Hampshire non-resident license and it was easy to get, but didn't renew it. --> no need, NH already honors TX CHL
South Carolina adds Nevada and Ohio. --> does not offer non-resident licenses.
[/b]
According to the State of Texas, there's no reciprocity with New Hampshire. New Hampshire says the same. A New Hampshire non-resident license is now $100.

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp ... plupr.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

South Carolina does offer non-resident licenses. If you own property in South Carolina.

http://www.sled.sc.gov/cwp.aspx?MenuID=CWP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

brhalltx wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:New Hampshire adds New Hampshire. I had a New Hampshire non-resident license and it was easy to get, but didn't renew it. --> no need, NH already honors TX CHL
According to the State of Texas, there's no reciprocity with New Hampshire. New Hampshire says the same. A New Hampshire non-resident license is now $100.
You're right. I misread the chart at handgunlaw.us.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

JMPJr
Posts in topic: 4

Post by JMPJr »

I was in Ohio near the PA border this past week and decided to swing by to get a PA license since it was so convenient. As has previously been posted, a person can no longer apply via mail. The cost has gone down to $20 from $26. Everything is done in person at a Sheriff's office. Several counties posed difficulties: Butler had a phone message saying they were no longer accepting non-residence license applications, I spoke with someone on the phone at Lawrence county who said they did non-residence applications as long as I had two references that lived in Lawrence county. I ended up going to the Mercer county sheriff's office on Friday May 24. Perhaps due to the holiday weekend, they were swamped with license applications. I saw maybe 30 people in half an hour try to cram into a room that must have been 10x10. The process is very different from here. You show up, fill out an application (you need the phone number and addresses of two references, and for an non-residence license you need to show another states' carry license and your DL), pay $20, get a photo taken and you're done. They call in for a PICS # (I don't know what that is if someone else wants to chime in). It's such a quick process, even despite the crowded conditions I think everyone was in and out in the same time frame as me. I was with someone who applied for a PA non-residence renewal license; he got his new license immediately (as an aside, his license from the previous go around was literally an 8.5x11 piece of paper with no picture, they've upgraded the license, it looks more like a regular ID now) but mine will be mailed to me. I found out yesterday that my references were called, so that could be the difference between getting a renewal right away and waiting for a new license.

I found the Butler and Lawrence county information interesting. I don't know how that complies with "shall issue" unless the out of residence bit allows them a loophole. I also wonder if that simply reflects 2A thoughts of that county's sheriff. I think I gain ME and NH with the PA license.

JMPJr

Post by JMPJr »

I see a couple posts above me discussing NH honoring TX permit. I must have misread the map as well. =)

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

JMPJr wrote: I think I gain ME and NH with the PA license.
Both ME and NH do not honor non-resident permits. For example, they recognize reciprocity with PA residents carrying a PA license, but non-residents are not recognized.

JMPJr

Post by JMPJr »

Thank you JF!

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Well, with the new law passed in Illinois yesterday by veto-proof super-majorities, looks like people will be able to get an Illinois non-resident concealed carry license.

Will "only" cost $300 and require 16 hours of training within Illinois. Of course, our Texas training can give you "credit" for a maximum of 8 of the required 16 training hours.

JMPJr

Post by JMPJr »

Does that make all fifty states shall-issue?

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JALLEN »

JMPJr wrote:Does that make all fifty states shall-issue?
Hardly. California is "rather not" issue. The county sheriff has the power to issue permits for "good cause" which is whatever he says it is. Contributing to his re-election campaign was good cause in one county. SF and LA are no issue, several others too. The cow counties in the mountains are virtually shall issue, and the permits are good throughout the state. One must reside in the county of issue. No non-resident permits, no reciprocity. Some counties are "might issue," like San Diego. I had one until it expired. I did not renew in anticipation of moving to Texas, now less than two weeks away :hurry: .

The permits will soon be worthless. You can only carry a gun listed on your permit by make, model and serial number, maximum of 3, and each must be on the Attorney General's Approved List. So, I could not carry the HK45 I used to own, not on the approved list. I could not carry the second P226 if I owned two of them but only one was listed on the permit. Now with the idiotic requirement to microstamp, no guns will be on the approved list, except slingshots, I guess.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

txhusker

Post by txhusker »

brhalltx wrote:If you want to add states... And I don't know the difficulty of any of these, but was curious...

Connecticut adds Connecticut. (Can get thru the mail)
Florida adds Ohio. (Can get thru the mail but only gives you one state)
Idaho adds Ohio. (Must apply in person and only gives you one state)
Maine adds Maine. (Can get thru the mail)
Maryland adds Maryland. (Must apply in person and rarely granted unless need can be established)
Massachusetts adds Massachusetts. (Can apply by mail and be mailed license, but training must be done by a MA certified instructor in MA, can be restricted based upon need, and fingerprinting & photographing is done by MA FRB in person by appointment only)
Nevada adds Nevada. (Must apply in person and do training by NV certified instructor in NV)
New Hampshire adds New Hampshire. (Can get thru the mail)
New Jersey adds New Jersey. (Must apply in person and rarely granted unless need can be established)
New York adds New York. (Must apply in person...not available to non-residents unless you own property or a business)
North Dakota adds Ohio and Washington. (Must apply in person and be tested by ND BCI)
Oregon adds Oregon. (Must apply in person...non available to non-residents unless you own property or are a resident of a bordering state)
Rhode Island adds Nevada and Rhode Island. (Can apply by mail but can only pickup license in person...approval is conditional based upon need and may be restrcicted on usage)
South Carolina adds Nevada and Ohio. (Can apply by mail but not available to non resident unless you own property)
Utah adds Ohio and Washington. (Can get thru the mail...training by UT certified instructor required, a number of which are in TX)
Virginia adds Ohio. (Can get thru the mail but only gives you one state)
Washington adds Ohio and Washington. (Must apply in person)

If you want to collect the whole set, get Rhode Island, North Dakota or Washington, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, and Oregon to get Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Rhode Island, and Washington.
I went ahead and expanded on what brhalltx wrote. I have included more detail after each state listed. The ones in bold are relatively easy to apply for and get once you have your TX CHL. A couple of items of note. The new CHL law in IL is scheduled to take effect shortly after the governor signs it which would allow for a non-resident option (which in all likelyhood would allow for the application to be mailed but at least some training...as discussed in this posting subject...would need to occur in IL). In addition, there is some momentum right now in the SC legislature to create an online application process (including for non-residents) and drop the property ownership provision. More to come on that.

CedarElm7

Post by CedarElm7 »

Has anyone here had any experience applying for a non-resident permit for Connecticut?
*Texas CHL* *NRA* *TSRA* *SAF* *GOA* *NSSF* Μολών Λαβέ

Return to “Other States”