Instructor Renewal Application question and fingerprints

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

RottenApple
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Instructor Renewal Application question and fingerprints

Post by RottenApple »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Log onto the DPS website and check your status. It should say that the background investigation is ongoing. I just checked mine.

Chas.
Mine has said that since the beginning of April. :shock:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

RottenApple wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Log onto the DPS website and check your status. It should say that the background investigation is ongoing. I just checked mine.

Chas.
Mine has said that since the beginning of April. :shock:
Good, that means they have what they need. Now you just have to wait until the renewal classes start.

Chas.

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Good, that means they have what they need. Now you just have to wait until the renewal classes start.

Chas.
Ok. I'm just kinda frustrated cause mine is a new instructor app and I was hoping to have been able to start teaching months ago. Instead I'm gonna get caught up in the press of y'all experienced instructors renewing. But, I guess it'll work out ok as I'll get to start my CHL instruction with the shorter hours instead of having to switch.

Anyhoo, sorry to have derailed the original thread.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
mommagamber wrote:
RottenApple wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
mommagamber wrote:Has anybody heard anything on the CHL renewals other then what we found out at the conference? It is driving me crazy :lol: Per the instructions I got it said we could submit our paperwork by email. Did y'all email it in or mail it in? I always worry they don't get something or I am going to miss an email from them. :headscratch
I uploaded it on the DPS website. Sherrie said they would start sending class invitations when they make a final decision on when, where and how many. Also, no instructor will get class notification until they apply for renewal, pay the fee, and the background check is completed.

Chas.
I just want to know they got it.
Log onto the DPS website and check your status. It should say that the background investigation is ongoing. I just checked mine.

Chas.
Then why does mine say they're waiting for required materials? See just above.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 1

Post by twomillenium »

I sure am glad I got my instructor certification at their last class (1st week of June). Mine expire in 1015. Then I guess I get to join the melee. I had to go digital and it was my understanding everyone would have to go with digital fingerprints.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

RottenApple wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Good, that means they have what they need. Now you just have to wait until the renewal classes start.

Chas.
Ok. I'm just kinda frustrated cause mine is a new instructor app and I was hoping to have been able to start teaching months ago. Instead I'm gonna get caught up in the press of y'all experienced instructors renewing. But, I guess it'll work out ok as I'll get to start my CHL instruction with the shorter hours instead of having to switch.

Anyhoo, sorry to have derailed the original thread.
Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about a new class. I thought you were talking about an instructor renewal. Due to the bills that were pending and that ultimately passed, DPS stopped running classes because of significant changes that would be required for the instructor course.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

sjfcontrol wrote:Then why does mine say they're waiting for required materials? See just above.
Based upon the post you referenced, it appears you sent only the CHL-90 and not your NRA Instructor credentials. If not, then they are waiting on materials.

Chas.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:Then why does mine say they're waiting for required materials? See just above.
Based upon the post you referenced, it appears you sent only the CHL-90 and not your NRA Instructor credentials. If not, then they are waiting on materials.

Chas.
It was all in the same scan (PDF). I sent them an inquiry as to what is needed, and included the PDF again.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

mommagamber

Post by mommagamber »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
mommagamber wrote:
RottenApple wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
mommagamber wrote:Has anybody heard anything on the CHL renewals other then what we found out at the conference? It is driving me crazy :lol: Per the instructions I got it said we could submit our paperwork by email. Did y'all email it in or mail it in? I always worry they don't get something or I am going to miss an email from them. :headscratch
I uploaded it on the DPS website. Sherrie said they would start sending class invitations when they make a final decision on when, where and how many. Also, no instructor will get class notification until they apply for renewal, pay the fee, and the background check is completed.

Chas.
I just want to know they got it.
Log onto the DPS website and check your status. It should say that the background investigation is ongoing. I just checked mine.

Chas.

Certificate Status: Application processed online. Concealed Handgun Licensing is waiting on the receipt of required materials. Once the application and materials have been received by Concealed Handgun Licensing and processing has begun, a more detailed status will appear on this page.

Should I send it in again?
I conceal carry because I choose not to be a victim.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

mommagamber wrote:Certificate Status: Application processed online. Concealed Handgun Licensing is waiting on the receipt of required materials. Once the application and materials have been received by Concealed Handgun Licensing and processing has begun, a more detailed status will appear on this page.

Should I send it in again?

That's your call, but if you have proof that it was received (uploaded or mail), then you're probably okay. That said, it wouldn't hurt to upload another copy and print the screens as you do so.

DPS is swamped dealing with changes in the law, i.e. new forms (CHL-100, CHL-8, CHL-16), new course requirement (school security course for CHL Instructors), new student and instructor tests, new instructor class material, etc. Plus, they're processing around 20,000 applications a month instead of 3,000. I'm just guessing, but I suspect that updating the website is a low priority item at this point.

Chas.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”