Word use that drives you up the wall!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

MasterOfNone
Posts in topic: 14

Re: Word use that drives you up the wall!

Post by MasterOfNone »

"Yea, no."
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

fickman
Posts in topic: 9

Post by fickman »

A status update I posted on Facebook a while back:
It's "ya'll", not "y'all". Actually, both can be correct, but I need to defend "ya'll" as it has been under attack - mostly be an over-simplistic reasoning that "it's a contraction of 'you' and 'all'." Oh, is it? This is something I've been interested in since elementary school. Please bear with me.

1. Ya'll, when punctuated with the apostrophe between the "a" and "l" is at least two derivations from "proper English". It is a contraction of "ya" and "all". If you read a book from the 19th Century southern U.S., you rarely hear dialogue with "you". Southerners (and Texans) had distinct attributes to their speech, including:
- dropping the "g" in gerunds e.g. askin', tellin', yellin', etc.
- concatenating words without a forming a "proper" contraction e.g. whatcha, gonna, fixin', etc.

Almost every time you see a second person pronoun used in dialogue, it would be "ya", not "you", unless it gets added to another word as in the previously mentioned "whatcha" example.

So, from proper English, we might see the progression iteratively proceed like this:
"When did you get into town?"
"When did ya get into town?"
"When'd ya get into town?"
"When'd ya git into town?"
"When'd ya git in town?"
"Whentcha git in town?"

You can see these portrayals of the phrasing and depictions of pronunciation in the works of Mark Twain, Louis L'Amour, John Steinbeck and countless others.

2. Because of this, many words or phrases common to the southern U.S. and Texas are NOT simply slang words, nor do they follow proper grammatical conventions and rules.

The culture actually developed a dialect of the English language.

The language has been assimilating back towards proper English in recent generations, especially in the cities and suburbs, but historically, it is probably more accurately viewed as a sister language with rules and words that do not necessarily come straight from the Queen's English.

3. I've seen the push to do away with "ya'll" come from transplanted northerners who are beginning to embrace some of the Southern or Texan culture (read: carpetbaggers and reconstructionists), college professors (and, in turn, the students they influence), and others who are trying to simplify the justification for where the apostrophe should go by appealing to rules that apply to proper English - but not necessarily true regional dialects.

In any case, I will agree that these non-native cake-eaters probably are rightly using "y'all" because they are simply contracting "you" and "all", which, ironically leaves them sort of in a no-man's-land in relation to their language as contractions are reviled in most forms of formal English speech. So, I will leave them alone with their usage of "y'all" and view their gaudy Christmas decorations using this version of the word as a tacit sign that "they ain't from around here".

I raise my objections when they begin to correct and condescend to those of us using "ya'll" as a word from a dialect more than one derivation removed from proper English. That's mostly what this is about. The "y'all" devotees have no standing to correct the "ya'll" users.

4. Ya'll is symmetrical and more aesthetically pleasing to look at. You'd think this point is subjective, but surprisingly, it's not.

5. Ain't. If you insist that "y'all" is the ONLY correct way because it MUST be a contraction of "you" and "all", then I implore you to explain what two straightforward words are being joined in "ain't".

I hope ya'll enjoyed this.
Native Texian

Abraham
Posts in topic: 148

Post by Abraham »

fickman,

After reading your post, I'm now completely insane.

fickman
Posts in topic: 9

Post by fickman »

Abraham wrote:fickman,

After reading your post, I'm now completely insane.
:tiphat:
Native Texian

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

Saying they "owned" somebody. Unless they're actually talking about slavery.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 3

Post by gigag04 »

bizarrenormality wrote:Saying they "owned" somebody. Unless they're actually talking about slavery.
Pwn3d
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

followers (per twitter)

Why anyone would demean themselves as twitter "followers" of this or that person puzzles me...I guess they don't think themselves worthy...and lumping themselves into the category of being a "follower" apparently proves it.

Hola Gato
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Hola Gato »

Abraham wrote:followers (per twitter)

Why anyone would demean themselves as twitter "followers" of this or that person puzzles me...I guess they don't think themselves worthy...and lumping themselves into the category of being a "follower" apparently proves it.
It sounds like you think the choice of words is accurate so why does it bother you so much?
I didn't vote for Obama.
Somebody else did that.

Dave2
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Dave2 »

Unnecessary use of "including women and children", as in, "200 people, including women and children, are missing after the boat collision." Aren't women and children people, too?
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Topic author
Dadtodabone
Posts in topic: 41

Post by Dadtodabone »

Capitol vs. Capital.
The U.S. Capitol(building)is in the U.S. Capital(city)of Washington, D.C.
The Texas capitol is in the Texas capital, Austin.
In common usage only the U.S. terms are capitalized.
Capital is also; principal in financial transactions or deserving a death sentence when used as an adjective.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

RiverCity.45
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RiverCity.45 »

Silly constructions that indicate possession.
"My wife and I's honeymoon...."
9/21/09 - Received license
"Nothing is so dangerous as an idea when it is the only one you have." - Emile Chartier

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 11

Post by jimlongley »

Dadtodabone wrote:Capitol vs. Capital.
The U.S. Capitol(building)is in the U.S. Capital(city)of Washington, D.C.
The Texas capitol is in the Texas capital, Austin.
In common usage only the U.S. terms are capitalized.
Capital is also; principal in financial transactions or deserving a death sentence when used as an adjective.
Also the top of a column, but you get the weirdest looks when you use it that way.

And don't use "finial" in a crowd around here.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Teached

Sigh, what happened to taught?

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

jimlongley wrote:And don't use "finial" in a crowd around here.
It will be curtains for you.

Mama Abby
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mama Abby »

With that being said...unnecessary filling

"Its go time" I hear this a lot on TV. Why don't they just say go, begin, or start?

Return to “Off-Topic”