Home defense ammo

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

texanjoker

Re: Home defense ammo

Post by texanjoker »

I don't change ammo for HD. I use what I carry which is either Federal Hydrashocks or Federal LE rounds which are pretty much the same. I know I have both and would have to see what is in the gun.

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MechAg94 »

I tend to stick with Hornady and Speer Gold Dot mainly because those are the best that are readily available. Hornady is at all the local stores, but Speer Gold Dot is often sold at Gun Shows in 50 round boxes at slightly cheaper rate.
I guess I do carry Federal also quite often.

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

depends on your budget. if you are tight, any reliable ammo that goes bang in your gun is good. if you have a fat wallet, then buy PREMIUM AMERICAN MADE AMMO, any premium usa made ammo is good.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

bdickens
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bdickens »

The dismal performance of the 147gr subsonic 9mm is the reason why many agencies dropped the 9mm altogether and went to the .40 S&W.

Just about any of the 115gr or 124gr +P or +P+ are far superior.
Byron Dickens

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JALLEN »

AndyC wrote:
JALLEN wrote:I was drawn to the 147 grain initially because that is what was used by SEAL Teams. I figured if it is good enough for those guys, it's good enough for me.
False logic.

The SEALs used that because a. it's a subsonic bullet that works well in suppressed weapons like their MP5SD and b. it was a superbly-accurate load - their guys were/are skilled enough to place a single headshot on an unsuspecting sentry and the like.

A 147gr bullet trundling along at 950 fps isn't much better than a .38 Sp round.
I learned of this in connection with suppressed 9 mm pistols the teams used, called "Hush Puppies" used to take out guard dogs, when I was young and foolish, from my b-i-l and his buddies in the teams.

You are right, especially about accuracy. Shot placement is everything! I believe they need to be able to put 5 shots in a playing card from 25 yards, consistently, while moving, rolling around, etc. Most of us can barely do that standing still in slow fire.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

JALLEN wrote:
AndyC wrote:
JALLEN wrote:I was drawn to the 147 grain initially because that is what was used by SEAL Teams. I figured if it is good enough for those guys, it's good enough for me.
False logic.

The SEALs used that because a. it's a subsonic bullet that works well in suppressed weapons like their MP5SD and b. it was a superbly-accurate load - their guys were/are skilled enough to place a single headshot on an unsuspecting sentry and the like.

A 147gr bullet trundling along at 950 fps isn't much better than a .38 Sp round.
I learned of this in connection with suppressed 9 mm pistols the teams used, called "Hush Puppies" used to take out guard dogs, when I was young and foolish, from my b-i-l and his buddies in the teams.

You are right, especially about accuracy. Shot placement is everything! I believe they need to be able to put 5 shots in a playing card from 25 yards, consistently, while moving, rolling around, etc. Most of us can barely do that standing still in slow fire.

Many moons ago when I was working my 1st k9 (mid 90's) we were at Coronado training on the SEAL base and guys from a team came over. They wanted to see what a k9 could do. Wherever they had been on a recent vacation they had to take a dog out with a silenced pistol. After viewing what my k9 could do they said they made the right decision.

w squared
Posts in topic: 3

Post by w squared »

bdickens wrote:The dismal performance of the 147gr subsonic 9mm is the reason why many agencies dropped the 9mm altogether and went to the .40 S&W.

Just about any of the 115gr or 124gr +P or +P+ are far superior.
This was true at the time that the switch occurred. Ammunition technology has changed since then - thus the number of firearms professionals and LE agencies that are transitioning to 9mm. As long as your 9mm defensive load meets the requirements of the FBI protocol, then I'd call it good.

ktulu61

Post by ktulu61 »

+1 for Hornady Critical Duty!

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

In no special order of preference - - - Anything loaded by CorBon, Remington Golden Saber +P 124 grain JHP, Gold Dot +P 124 grain JHP, Federal HST +P 124 grain JHP, Federal Hi Shok +P+ 115 grain JHP, Winchester SXT +P+ 127 grain JHP or +P 124 grain JHP. If you are on a budget and can't buy the premium ammo then the Remington UMC 115 grain JHP and the Winchester White Box 115 grain JHP are pretty good they are both loaded to the "warm" side of standard pressure ammo and the bullets used are older technology. Old technology worked in the day it will work now.

The main thing is to pick a load that your gun likes, shoot enough of it to be knowledgable of it's performance and stick with that ammo. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Nano

Post by Nano »

I also carry Hornady 135 gr Critical Duty.
NRA Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”