Best Shotgun Shells for Home Defense

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Redneck_Buddha
Posts in topic: 3

Best Shotgun Shells for Home Defense

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Bought a Remington Model 870 Magnum Wingmaster with a full choke at the Austin Gun Show last weekend and am delighted with the purchase. Did some research on shotgun rounds but wanted some input from folks here. I ended up with a couple of boxes of Remington Express buckshot rounds. 2 3/4" with double ought pellets. I know I might catch some flak for not utilizing the 3" shell capability of the shotgun, but absent that I'd appreciate what you all use for your home defense rounds.

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Best Shotgun Shells for Home Defense

Post by JALLEN »

Box o' Truth did some shooting to test some of these ideas. The conclusion was Flite Control No. 1 buck was more than adequate. Birdshot is, well, for the birds. 00 is good too depending on overprnetration worries.

I know of no reason to use 3". Use regular ones and have an extra round or so. You don't want to be on the wrong end of 2 3/4" rounds either.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Topic author
Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

I actually should have searched on this topic. I see there is plenty. Sorry aboot that! :patriot:

Topic author
Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Thanks guys!

LeonCarr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LeonCarr »

2.75 Inch Federal LE132 Flitecontrol 00 Buckshot in both the work shotgun and the home shotgun.

Unless you live in Jurassic Park or a really really bad neighborhood, 3 Inch Magnums are unnecessary and the extra recoil and muzzle blast make follow up shots much harder, a consideration if home is invaded by more than one bad guy.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Pawpaw »

http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=67957" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots of good info in that thread. Also, you can see where I tested the Federal FliteControl ammo.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

CC Italian
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CC Italian »

Look at that thread paw paw linked. Covers it all. Also if you you tube federal #1 le buckshot you can see a video that a LEO made with gel tests. It is some of the best if not the best buckshot on the market. As for flak for no 3in load? Honestly I am against them and recommend reduce recoil loads.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I won't use reduced recoil loads, but that's because I'm using a semi-auto. Since I'm effectively betting my life on the function of my shotgun, I want full-power loads.

If you're using a pump (or you have THOROUGHLY tested you semi-auto with them) there's not a thing wrong with reduced recoil ammo.

The reason I didn't get a pump for HD is because I have almost no experience with them. I don't want to be the guy that "short shucks" a pump when the chips are down.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

AndyC wrote:I might be getting my hands on a few boxes of the #1 FliteControl soon ;-)
After purchase, please post source and cost per rd. Thanks.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 4

Post by JALLEN »

Beiruty wrote:
AndyC wrote:I might be getting my hands on a few boxes of the #1 FliteControl soon ;-)
After purchase, please post source and cost per rd. Thanks.
I bought a supply from GT Distributors in Austin a year or so ago. When I called to order more, in January/February, they were 30,000 rounds back ordered of that one product alone. Hopefully that is changed now.

They are showing at $3.99/5 pack. IIRC that's up some from my initial purchase which was less than $3.

https://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.as ... FC-LE1321B

I called and they are only for in store purchase, IF they have any, and the girl wouldn't/couldn't say.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I want!!! I want!!! :clapping:

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Low recoil Federal 00 buck LE loads...work great in my pump.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”