Texas License Plate Law?????

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Texas License Plate Law?????

Post by E.Marquez »

HB 657 which would have removed the need for a front plate died on the vine this last session
http://legiscan.com/TX/text/HB657/id/702802" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

I was stopped a few weeks ago for not having a front plate. I bought a car from MI and didn't install the TX plate.
Note, I believe recent caselaw means that you can't do what you were doing - that is display in the front window can get you a ticket. Here's a reference: http://www.cca.courts.state.tx.us/OPINI ... ONID=20044" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically if it's not in the "foremost part of the vehicle" you're doing it wrong.

Per above, if HB657 died in committee, it's still illegal to not have a front plate.
Even if it passed, having a plate in the windshield is illegal over not having one at all...

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

cb1000rider wrote:I was stopped a few weeks ago for not having a front plate. I bought a car from MI and didn't install the TX plate.
Note, I believe recent caselaw means that you can't do what you were doing - that is display in the front window can get you a ticket. Here's a reference: http://www.cca.courts.state.tx.us/OPINI ... ONID=20044" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically if it's not in the "foremost part of the vehicle" you're doing it wrong.
All that is above in this thread..
It has case law going both ways, required front most, and another judge that said, if that is true, then why do we allow not the rear most location to be the only legal spot? (many cars you'll notice the rear plate is on the trunk deck, or in any case not on rear most face surface of the bumper)

And as far as the other thing... with HB 657 left to die in session, and HB557 http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... Bill=HB557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; died in committee

It leaves us right where we were last session unless someone has another bill that was passed and sent to the gov.

Two plates required, TC says it's a violation if not two, but no penalty is assigned, so no way for a court to claim jurisdiction nor adjudicate the citation if written.

Of course IANAL
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

E.Marquez wrote: Two plates required, TC says it's a violation if not two, but no penalty is assigned, so no way for a court to claim jurisdiction nor adjudicate the citation if written.
Got a cite? I find it interesting to be stopped for an offense that I can be fined for...

rm9792
Posts in topic: 13

Post by rm9792 »

cb1000rider wrote:
E.Marquez wrote: Two plates required, TC says it's a violation if not two, but no penalty is assigned, so no way for a court to claim jurisdiction nor adjudicate the citation if written.
Got a cite? I find it interesting to be stopped for an offense that I can be fined for...
Search Google texas front license plate law

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

cb1000rider wrote:
It's still a law, on the books, it is just missing the penalty part..

Look in this thread,,, all the info you need to cure your curiosity is here. :thumbs2:

Rex B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Rex B »

I'm fine with that. I'll leave the front plate off that one car.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Rex B wrote:I'm fine with that. I'll leave the front plate off that one car.
It seems to me that you've just provided cause to be stopped.. At least under my experience. No Thanks.

Panda
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Panda »

Panda wrote:They way I heard it, they had time toreinstate the fine but ran out of time for gun rights. Priorities I guess.
HB 625

Topic author
tomneal
Posts in topic: 5

Post by tomneal »

I pieced this together from:
http://legiscan.com/TX/text/HB625/id/700901
and
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/

Sec. 504.943. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway, during a registration period, a motor vehicle that does not display two license plates that:

(1) have been assigned by the department for the period; and
(2) comply with department rules regarding the placement of license plates.

(b) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a road tractor, motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer that does not display a license plate that:
(1) has been assigned by the department for the period; and
(2) complies with department rules regarding the placement of license plates.
(c) This section does not apply to a dealer operating a vehicle as provided by law.
(d) A court may dismiss a charge brought under Subsection (a)(1) if the defendant:
(1) remedies the defect before the defendant's first court appearance; and
(2) pays an administrative fee not to exceed $10.
(e) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor
punishable by a fine not to exceed $200.
I may have to put the front plate back on my car.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Wes

Post by Wes »

I bet there will be a few tickets given out on sept 1 at a minimum

I'm still not putting mine on tho, the ticket is still dismissible with a small court fine if you show that you complied. At least it was the only time I have received a ticket for it.
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

You've got more time than I do!

Wes

Post by Wes »

Considering it has only happened once in the 4 years I've had the car, its not really a big deal. If it happened every month, every other month even, I could see the potential problem but that just hasn't been my experience.
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

I distinctly remember being stopped twice:
1) Once in my own town, by a local officer, recently. He stopped me, cited the law to me (even gave me a copy) and let me off with a warning. I didn't know at the time that there is no penalty.
2) I was stopped in Williamson county. As part of that traffic stop, I was asked for my social security number. I refused and was told that I either comply or I'm going to jail immediately. I complied. I believe the officer would have taken me for the ride and on that particular day, and I had a few things to get done that made it not worth the hassle. This particular law enforcement office is notorious for zero tolerance policies. He did let me go with a warning also.

Without a license plate, I just assume I can be stopped at any time...

nightmare
Deactivated until real name is provided
Posts in topic: 1

Post by nightmare »

cb1000rider wrote:Without a license plate, I just assume I can be stopped at any time...
We should just assume we can be stopped at any time. It's safer that way.
Equo ne credite, Teucri. Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”