Texas License Plate Law?????

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

tomtexan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Texas License Plate Law?????

Post by tomtexan »

gdanaher wrote:What's the rule about a plate that is perfectly legible but whose reflective surface no longer reflects? I have a specialty plate that can be used on multiple vehicles--same number on all cars. The plates on my car were new in 1995. They've been on 3 or 4 cars, but since they aren't dinged, I use them and keep the new ones they send me on the shelf. No rule that says I have to have a new plate--just that the plate must agree with the registration. I currently have a lifetime supply--2 new sets of blue on white stamped, 2 sets of red, white, and blue flat digital, and one of the new black and burnt orange on white digitals. One of these days those on the car might need to be replaced!!
Why not just install the newest set? Is there a particular reason for not doing so? :headscratch
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

gdanaher
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by gdanaher »

tomtexan wrote: Why not just install the newest set? Is there a particular reason for not doing so? :headscratch
No. I am just getting my money's worth out of the set on the car. The blue on white combination matches the car better than multicolored plates, but the black and burnt orange is growing on me.....

Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Scott in Houston »

It may be somewhere in this 8 page thread, so I apologize if I missed it and cannot find it now, but can someone reference the new code/law?

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 6

Post by E.Marquez »

Scott in Houston wrote:It may be somewhere in this 8 page thread, so I apologize if I missed it and cannot find it now, but can someone reference the new code/law?
OLD
Transportation Code, §502.404
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/txstatutes/ ... /H/502.404" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NEW
Transportation Code, §504.943
Request for AG opinion RQ-1014-GA
https://www.oag.state.tx.us/opinions/op ... 1014GA.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by E.Marquez on Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Scott in Houston

I can't see how it's messed up. Looks like there's still a penalty/fine to me. Is that the old code?

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 6

Post by E.Marquez »

Scott in Houston wrote:I can't see how it's messed up. Looks like there's still a penalty/fine to me. Is that the old code?
YES that was the OLD code on top, the NEW code, and much more was at the AG opinion request I linked to..

Sorry about that, I figured folks would see what was in both links.. I edited my post above. TX TRANS CODE 504.943
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... TN.504.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sec. 504.943. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway, during a registration period, a motor vehicle that does not display two license plates that:
(1) have been assigned by the department for the period; and
(2) comply with department rules regarding the placement of license plates.
(b) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a road tractor, motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer that does not display a license plate that:
(1) has been assigned by the department for the period; and
(2) complies with department rules regarding the placement of license plates.
(c) This section does not apply to a dealer operating a vehicle as provided by law.
(d) A court may dismiss a charge brought under Subsection (a)(1) if the defendant:
(1) remedies the defect before the defendant's first court appearance; and
(2) pays an administrative fee not to exceed $10.

Added by Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1296, Sec. 221, eff. January 1, 2012.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

C-dub
Posts in topic: 11

Post by C-dub »

C-dub wrote:I don't remember hearing that this has been fixed yet. Not only is there no fine, but the requirement for BOTH plates was accidentally removed.

Thanks for volunteering to be the test case Crossfire.
My bad. The requirement is still there and it was just the fine that has been removed. :oops:
As part of the update, the new law deleted the license plate statute, returning parts of it to Section 502.473 and 504.943. In moving around the legal language, the bill went through the entire legislative process without anybody noticing that a key line was deleted without providing a replacement: "An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200."
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/36/3656.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Scott in Houston

Thanks Bronco! That was very helpful.

gdanaher
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by gdanaher »

The Texas DMV finally announced their all new and improved basic license plate. You know, the one I mentioned back in April?

http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/license_p ... eneral.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Noteworthy is that they are using the AAA*0001 sequence which is hugely easier to remember than the goofy combinations used currently. Nearly as bad as Missouri. What I dislike is the flat plate is not as readable at an angle than a stamped plate but alas, we are doomed to use plates like this because they use environmentally correct chemicals, and the old ones did not. Why, i don't know. It also costs the state twice as much to manufacture the digital flat plates as it did for them to knock out stamped plates......but they are now environmentally friendly.

Rex B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Rex B »

gdanaher wrote:What's the rule about a plate that is perfectly legible but whose reflective surface no longer reflects? I have a specialty plate that can be used on multiple vehicles--same number on all cars. The plates on my car were new in 1995. They've been on 3 or 4 cars, but since they aren't dinged, I use them and keep the new ones they send me on the shelf. No rule that says I have to have a new plate--just that the plate must agree with the registration.
My rule would be "Use the least reflective plates on the front of the vehicle". (LIDAR)
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

rm9792
Posts in topic: 13

Post by rm9792 »

Rex B wrote:
gdanaher wrote:.
My rule would be "Use the least reflective plates on the front of the vehicle". (LIDAR)
That would be "none". :mrgreen:

C-dub
Posts in topic: 11

Post by C-dub »

gdanaher wrote:The Texas DMV finally announced their all new and improved basic license plate. You know, the one I mentioned back in April?

http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/license_p ... eneral.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Noteworthy is that they are using the AAA*0001 sequence which is hugely easier to remember than the goofy combinations used currently. Nearly as bad as Missouri. What I dislike is the flat plate is not as readable at an angle than a stamped plate but alas, we are doomed to use plates like this because they use environmentally correct chemicals, and the old ones did not. Why, i don't know. It also costs the state twice as much to manufacture the digital flat plates as it did for them to knock out stamped plates......but they are now environmentally friendly.
They are that new? I thought I'd seen those things for a couple of years now. I just had to change the one's on my truck a couple of months ago and it is easier to remember.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
tomneal

Post by tomneal »

I know this is a dusty tread but...
Does anyone know if the legislature corrected this law?
If they did, does it go into affect September 1 or January 1 2014?
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Panda
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Panda »

They way I heard it, they had time toreinstate the fine but ran out of time for gun rights. Priorities I guess.

TLE2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TLE2 »

You guys don't know about the new legislative process............. you have to PASS the legislation so you can know what's in it!
That's the Nancy Pelosi rule!
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”