April Application

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

squidmotion
Posts in topic: 4

Re: April Application

Post by squidmotion »

cprems wrote:
It sometimes feels like we get bread crumbs instead of the whole loaf. I know it takes time but its high time we as a collective, hold those accountable, at the ballot box.

that's some free-range TRUTH you are farming, my friend.
57 days mailbox to mailbox.

A FREE MAN SHOULDN'T HAVE TO ASK PERMISSION.

infidex
Posts in topic: 11

Post by infidex »

cprems wrote:The photo issue may be due to your CHL instructor not knowing that you could use either. My instructor told us to write on the photo application "Use TX drivers license photo"

There are stories on here (from this year) that CHL instructors didn't know that you could do an online application instead of sending the application via US mail. The majority of instructors keep up with the latest DPS updates (especially if they are active on this site).

When I originally had my CHL in 1996, everything was mailed in and you had to wait on a BG check (if I remember correctly) before you could take your actual CHL course.

The process has come a long way.

Now if we can get everyone in Texas, who has a CHL, to vote out those in the Texas legislature who oppose good CHL laws, we may finally see more bills that give us the protections and assurances that come from the 2nd amendment. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the tireless efforts to date and I do my part by calling, faxing and emailing those in "power" who are in desperate need of a "nudge" and a reminder that they work for us.

It sometimes feels like we get bread crumbs instead of the whole loaf. I know it takes time but its high time we as a collective, hold those accountable, at the ballot box.

armanius wrote:Thanks everyone!!?, :cheers2:

And yes, why the requirement to send in photos?? Wasted $12 for photos.

My instructor wasn't aware, he told everyone to get the passport photos. I saw people saying they weren't needed, but it is also on the checklist when you mail in your paperwork, seems like something is broken here. :rules: Guess they are probably erroring on the side of send them in just in case, lol. "rlol"

armanius
Posts in topic: 45

Post by armanius »

I must have missed all the info in the DPS website that said we could submit the documents online/email as opposed to mailing it in. And definitely missed any info about not needing passport photos.

The forms I downloaded from the DPS website specifically stated that two passport photos are necessary.
04.03.2013 Mailed Documents
06.19.2013 Received CHL
NRA Member

CedarElm7
Posts in topic: 37

Post by CedarElm7 »

I want to express appreciation to all the participants in the April Applications thread. The anxiety-sharing and encouragement have been helpful during the long wait. Good wishes to all, and I look forward to seeing y'all in other threads in this forum. Thanks again!
*Texas CHL* *NRA* *TSRA* *SAF* *GOA* *NSSF* Μολών Λαβέ

armanius
Posts in topic: 45

Post by armanius »

Thanks Cedarelm7. Your encouragement was awesome. Thank YOU.
04.03.2013 Mailed Documents
06.19.2013 Received CHL
NRA Member

sammeow
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sammeow »

1/29/13 submitted OnLine application.
3/9/13. Completed CHL Class
3/29/13 Fingerprinting done and submitted.
4/5/13 Emailed all supporting docs.
5/10/13 Email from DPS: We have received your documents and they have been forwarded to our processing department. Please allow 2-3 weeks to be updated by the department.

:woohoo 6/21/13 CHL arrived. :woohoo

cprems
Posts in topic: 27

Post by cprems »

And it's arrived.

Now I have to wait until I get home.

Thanks everyone for the "support" and waiting along with me.

:tiphat: :anamatedbanana :thewave :txflag: :txflag: :txflag: :txflag:
04/01/2013 - Online application
06/22/2013 - Plastic in hand
75 days - mailbox to mailbox
03/17 - renewal - 42 days plastic in hand

circumspice_tuebor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by circumspice_tuebor »

And, we're done: 60 days mailbox to mailbox. However, I experienced a delay b/c I was given (AND SIGNED AND SUBMITTED :banghead: ) a renewal CHL-100 when I finished my new license class. Instructor made it right at the earliest opportunity, and I uploaded a PDF of the corrected document that night.

Complete Timeline
Online Application Submitted: 4/13
Fingerprints: 4/16
CHL Class: 4/20
Packet Mailed: 4/22
Status updated to In Progress: 5/23 (w/ red status for CHL-100)
Status updated to Manufacturing Pending: 6/17
Status updated to Mailed: 6/18
License Received: 6/22 :anamatedbanana
Micah 6:8

Gunner4640
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Gunner4640 »

[quote="circumspice_tuebor"]And, we're done: 60 days mailbox to mailbox. However, I experienced a delay b/c I was given (AND SIGNED AND SUBMITTED :banghead: ) a renewal CHL-100 when I finished my new license class. Instructor made it right at the earliest opportunity, and I uploaded a PDF of the corrected document that night.

Complete Timeline
Online Application Submitted: 4/13
Fingerprints: 4/16
CHL Class: 4/20
Packet Mailed: 4/22
Status updated to In Progress: 5/23 (w/ red status for CHL-100)
Status updated to Manufacturing Pending: 6/17
Status updated to Mailed: 6/18
License Received: 6/22 :anamatedbanana[/quote

Congrats and always carry proudly in our great state :txflag:
Dave & Wife NRA Members
Too many guns to list> :lol::

dooey99
Posts in topic: 5

Post by dooey99 »

Plastic in hand, came in the mail today!!! :clapping:
4/19 - application filed online || 4/20 - CHL class passed
4/21 - documents submitted electronically || 4/ 25 - Fingerprints completed
5/10 - Email confirmation received || 6/15 - Background under review
6/19 - Status: Mailed || 6/24 - In Hand

SPDGG
Posts in topic: 9

Post by SPDGG »

Congrats "dooey99" and all the above April Mailers!
- Great to hear everyone is getting their plastic! :anamatedbanana

. . . . . I am starting to get a little concerned about mine at this time. :confused5
Status Changed to Mailed: 06/12/2013
As of 06/24/2013, no mail/plastic. . . .

* I recently moved, I did submit my change of address to USPS ahead of time, and notify TX DPS with a written request as instructed with my new address.
Logged in and it seems my CHL mailed out to my previous mailing address. . . . I tried my local Post Office: no mail w/ verified forwarding in system, past residence: no mail, . . . .

???:
* Anyone know the usual time it takes for mail to forward to a new address?
* Should I call in to TX DPS? or wait it out a bit longer?
Thanks again to everyone here, you guys are Top Notch! :patriot:

cprems

Post by cprems »

You could log in and change your address on the CHL site. It costs $25 I believe. Then you will know for sure that your new license is on its way.

Does DPS/Post office have a policy of not forwarding CHL's to a different address?

I'd give them a call and find out where it was sent. Failing that, $25 seems to be a cheap insurance policy for your predicament.

SPDGG

Post by SPDGG »

I thought about that as well. . . But, want to make sure the CHL they mailed out ends up in my hands, no matter the address on it.
Wouldnt want it "floating" :eek6

Before I mailed everything off I spoke with a Very Helpful & Very Professional TX DPS Representative and I was instructed to make a written note of the address change with New Address.
Not sure about USPS, but I wouldnt think they would know if it was a CHL or not? Would they?

I'm fine with the address change fee, and need to change my address anyways .
I just thought it might be best to wait to see what the mailed CHL reads. . . . What do you think?
Last edited by SPDGG on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cprems

Post by cprems »

If you didn't tell DPS of your new address change, I'd do it tonight. Remember I believe you have 30 days from the time you move to notify them.

I'd go ahead and pay the $25. You are not required to send in the old license. I'd do it for piece of mind. You might also call them and tell them that you moved and never received the original license. I beleive once you change the address, the old license will be voided out in their system. They may even flag it.

SPDGG wrote:I agree, I thought about that . . . But, want to make sure the CHL they mailed out ends up in my hand, no matter the address on it.
Wouldnt want it "floating" :eek6

Before I mailed everything off I spoke with a Very Helpful & Very Professional TX DPS Representative and I was instructed to make a written note of the address change with New Address.
Not sure about USPS, but I wouldnt think they would know if it was a CHL or not? Would they?

I'm fine with the address change fee, and need to change my address anyways .
I just thought it might be best to wait to see what the mailed CHL reads. . . . What do you think?

SPDGG

Post by SPDGG »

Agree-Good call, I'll go ahead and submit it.
I hope they void out my old one for safety sake. I'll call in at the end of the week if I don't receive anything.

Thanks for the help! :)

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”