Any issues with carrying at Govt Canyon in San Antonio?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TxSheepdog
Posts in topic: 2

Any issues with carrying at Govt Canyon in San Antonio?

Post by TxSheepdog »

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks ... ent-canyon

It's a state park, and no restrictions mentioned on their website. I didn't see anything listed on the Corps site http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/whitne ... sparks.asp

I haven't been there since receiving my CHL, and we intend to go for an overnight camping trip. Has anyone been there recently?
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."- Thomas Paine

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." - Friedrich Nietzsche

jayinsat

Re: Any issues with carrying at Govt Canyon in San Antonio?

Post by jayinsat »

shouldn't be. I carry there all the time when mountain biking.
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

State Parks you can carry in no problem. The only issue I would watch for is if it is a State park on a lake. Most lakes are Corps projects and you might have to keep an eye out as you move around to keep from going into areas that weapons are banned.

Any and all corps sites are legally off limits to firearms except for hunting and that is totally at the discretion of the District Commander to allow or set any rules for doing so that he wants. This ban also includes ammunition and even bows and crossbows.

Title 36, Chapter 111, Part 327.13

jayinsat

Post by jayinsat »

EEllis wrote:State Parks you can carry in no problem. The only issue I would watch for is if it is a State park on a lake. Most lakes are Corps projects and you might have to keep an eye out as you move around to keep from going into areas that weapons are banned.

Any and all corps sites are legally off limits to firearms except for hunting and that is totally at the discretion of the District Commander to allow or set any rules for doing so that he wants. This ban also includes ammunition and even bows and crossbows.

One thing for sure, Government Canyon has no lakes! You can't even find a puddle when you need one. Went hiking one year in the middle of the summer and ran out of water 6 miles out. Even the cactus was bone dry.
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

mojo84
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mojo84 »

jayinsat wrote:
EEllis wrote:State Parks you can carry in no problem. The only issue I would watch for is if it is a State park on a lake. Most lakes are Corps projects and you might have to keep an eye out as you move around to keep from going into areas that weapons are banned.

One thing for sure, Government Canyon has no lakes! You can't even find a puddle when you need one. Went hiking one year in the middle of the summer and ran out of water 6 miles out. Even the cactus was bone dry.
You know it is dry when the cactus aren't holding water. Not a good situation.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

jayinsat wrote: One thing for sure, Government Canyon has no lakes! You can't even find a puddle when you need one. Went hiking one year in the middle of the summer and ran out of water 6 miles out. Even the cactus was bone dry.
Never been there but mentioned the Corp because of the link

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SewTexas »

it is a great park, but be careful!!! hike with your guns!!! there are rattlesnakes there!!! we went walking there last year and came across one, luckily it had just eaten and really didn't want to move...we very quickly moved, and let a ranger know.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
TxSheepdog

Post by TxSheepdog »

SewTexas wrote:it is a great park, but be careful!!! hike with your guns!!! there are rattlesnakes there!!! we went walking there last year and came across one, luckily it had just eaten and really didn't want to move...we very quickly moved, and let a ranger know.

Yeah we will be staying in the front country with the kids and our dog. Definitely dry there. Thanks for all the responses. 1911 and lots of water it is. :cool:
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."- Thomas Paine

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”