April Application

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

tentex
Posts in topic: 3

Re: April Application

Post by tentex »

Received my Plastic today, Mailed it 4/25 and Received 36 days later. As I have stated on a previous post I think that the reason I got mine done so fast is because I had a Carry permit from Tennessee. I do like that you can see where you stand on the DPS site in Texas because Tennessee doesn't post anything. Glad to have this final thing done. DL changed, Tags on vechicles changed, RV tags changed, voter registration changed, new DR. new insurance. I am tired and oh yes broke now. Aint going back. :cheers2: :patriot: :txflag: :anamatedbanana

armanius
Posts in topic: 45

Post by armanius »

Welcome to Texas!
04.03.2013 Mailed Documents
06.19.2013 Received CHL
NRA Member

Gunner4640
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Gunner4640 »

Welcome to Texas and the forum. I have a nonres Virginia chl and my Texas took 62 days
Dave & Wife NRA Members
Too many guns to list> :lol::

2ndAmendmentMumma
Posts in topic: 9

Post by 2ndAmendmentMumma »

****UPDATE!!!!!****
Plastic arrived yesterday!!! :fire
56 days mailbox to mailbox
Wahhhhoooooo! :anamatedbanana
Now to perfect my conceal carry.
Leighan, mumma to 6.
"Yes, Mr. President, I WILL cling to my guns and my religion because my right to do so is guaranteed by the United States Constitution. It is my right; it is my duty."

2ndAmendmentMumma
Posts in topic: 9

Post by 2ndAmendmentMumma »

al77382 wrote:UPDATE

Feb 19 - Completed online app.
Mar 01 - Fingerprints done.
Mar 29 - CHL class completed.
Mar 30 - All required docs mailed.
Apr 02 - Required docs delivered per USPS.
May 08 - Status updated to received, BG pending.
May 29 - Fingerprints & BG completed, updated to Manufacturing Pending.
May 30 - Updated to mailed.

So should be in-hand sometime next week.
:thewave
Congrats!!!! Got mine yesterday!! :fire
Leighan, mumma to 6.
"Yes, Mr. President, I WILL cling to my guns and my religion because my right to do so is guaranteed by the United States Constitution. It is my right; it is my duty."

Imsowright
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Imsowright »

midnight8 wrote:When you look at some of the timelines, it makes no sense. Sometimes timelines add up and other times things just are out of whack. People sending off at end of April are being mailed, but beginning of April or even March applicants still waiting. Oh well, it is what it is, but you would think there would be a system that gets it somewhat in order.
I agree. I just does not make any sense.

al77382
Posts in topic: 12

Post by al77382 »

2ndAmendmentMumma wrote:
Congrats!!!! Got mine yesterday!! :fire
Grats Mumma!!! :txflag: :fire
Remember the first rule of gunfighting... 'have a gun.' - Jeff Cooper
Initial Application: April 2013, 62 Days
TSRA Member
NRA Endowment Member

CedarElm7
Posts in topic: 37

Post by CedarElm7 »

Sincere congrats to all who have received their CHL (or have been notified it's been mailed or is in the "manufacturing" stage)! It's encouraging to hear!

Mine remains stuck in the background check stage:

03/16: CHL training class and proficiency exam.
03/17: Online Applications completed and fee paid.
04/02: Fingerprinting.
04/02: All materials mailed.
04/04: USPS delivery confirmation.
05/11: Status upgraded to reflect receipt of materials; background review pending.

This week, on Tuesday, June 4, a time span of sixty days (actually, sixty-one) will have passed since USPS delivered my materials to the DPS. Perhaps the DPS sixty-day processing goal will be realized, and my CHL will be approved. I'm sure keeping my fingers crossed. :totap:
*Texas CHL* *NRA* *TSRA* *SAF* *GOA* *NSSF* Μολών Λαβέ

cprems
Posts in topic: 27

Post by cprems »

Does the 60 day "clock" start from when they receive it, or from when they update to "background under review"?

I believe it may be once the paperwork is entered and they receive everything. Can anyone either confirm or deny my hypothesis?
04/01/2013 - Online application
06/22/2013 - Plastic in hand
75 days - mailbox to mailbox
03/17 - renewal - 42 days plastic in hand

Srnewby
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Srnewby »

The 60 day clock begins when they acknowledge receipt and begin the background check.

cprems

Post by cprems »

Srnewby wrote:The 60 day clock begins when they acknowledge receipt and begin the background check.
That's what I thought.

Mine started 5/15. I have a little wait.

I believe that some think the time starts when they get confirmation of receipt (certified mail) and not when one is entered into the system. This may lead to a "false" start of the 60 waiting period.

CedarElm7

Post by CedarElm7 »

Srnewby wrote:The 60 day clock begins when they acknowledge receipt and begin the background check.
Srnewby, without intending to cast aspersion on your assertion, I would like to ask you ... where did you get your information clarifying when the clock starts? Because I would estimate that 90% (or more) of us assume that the 60-day clock begins when the DPS receives all the application materials. Did you find that published somewhere, or has a person in authority told you that? Thanks in advance!

cprems

Post by cprems »

CedarElm7 wrote:
Srnewby, without intending to cast aspersion on your assertion, I would like to ask you ... where did you get your information clarifying when the clock starts? Because I would estimate that 90% (or more) of us assume that the 60-day clock begins when the DPS receives all the application materials. Did you find that published somewhere, or has a person in authority told you that? Thanks in advance!
I'm not the poster addressed, but I have always been told it was when they received all the necessary documents that the BG review was started.

Have you heard differently?

CedarElm7

Post by CedarElm7 »

cprems, I've always heard the same thing as you.

However, Srnewby (above) suggests that "The 60 day clock begins when they acknowledge receipt and begin the background check." I assume he means when they acknowledge receipt by updating the application status on the website and note that the background review is underway. That typically occurs as much as five weeks after the USPS advises the applicant of delivery of all the materials.

So, using my own case as an example, I've been assuming that the 60 day target period began when the USPS delivered all my materials to the DPS on April 4, but the new suggestion is that the 60 day target period began when the DPS updated my application status online on May 11 as acknowledging receipt of all materials and background review underway. April 4 + 60 days is much different than May 11 + 60 days!

Of course, another thing that serves to discourage us early-April applicants is that several late-April applicants received their CHL's before the end of May! While I'm certainly happy for them, it seems odd that many of us who applied several weeks earlier are still waiting. :banghead:

CedarElm7

Post by CedarElm7 »

For what it's worth, here is the statute:

GC §411.177. ISSUANCE OR DENIAL OF LICENSE.

(a) The department shall issue a license to carry a concealed handgun to an applicant if the applicant meets all the eligibility requirements and submits all the application materials. The department may issue a license to carry handguns only of the categories for which the applicant has demonstrated proficiency in the form and manner required by the department. The department shall administer the licensing procedures in good faith so that any applicant who meets all the eligibility requirements and submits all the application materials shall receive a license. The department may not deny an application on the basis of a capricious or arbitrary decision by the department.

(b) The department shall, not later than the 60th day after the date of the receipt by the director's designee of the completed application materials:
(1) issue the license;
(2) notify the applicant in writing that the application was denied:

(A) on the grounds that the applicant failed to qualify under the criteria listed in Section 411.172;
(B) based on the affidavit of the director's designee submitted to the department under Section 411.176(c); or
(C) based on the affidavit of the qualified handgun instructor submitted to the department under Section 411.188(k); or
(3) notify the applicant in writing that the department is unable to make a determination regarding the issuance or denial of a license to the applicant within the 60-day period prescribed by this subsection and include in that notification an explanation of the reason for the inability and an estimation of the amount of time the department will need to make the determination.

(c) Failure of the department to issue or deny a license for a period of more than 30 days after the department is required to act under Subsection (b) constitutes denial.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”