Domestic violence encounter at wally world today.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Txfire409
Posts in topic: 2

Domestic violence encounter at wally world today.

Post by Txfire409 »

What would you have done? I am a firefighter for a local dept and on my way to work this am I made my usual stop at wally world (in uniform) for some groceries for the station. I always carry my sub compact .45 and as I exited my truck I noticed a rather large black male standing near the entrance to the store. Something didnt seem right so I watched him while I headed for the entrance. He walked over to and got in a parked vehicle with a black female in the drivers seat and before I entered the store he was wailing on her. She was screaming and attempting to fight back but he was obviously getting the better of her. I almost pulled my pistol but something told me not to so I called 911. While on the phone with dispatch she managed to exit the vehicle. He got out, went around, and got in the drivers seat. She went in the store as he pulled off but I stayed to watch where he went as I still had 911 on the phone. He circled the lot but returned and parked the car and headed for the entrance. I started to follow but as he got to the entrance several employees stopped him and wouldnt let him enter. Apparently she went in and told people inside what had happened. Police arrived at that time and started questioning him while she stayed in the store. The store employees said he must have beat the hell out of her judging by her face. He denied doing anything other than pushing her with an open hand at which point I told the police I was a witness and saw everything. I filled out a statement and they arrested him. I have felt bad most of the day for not acting but everyone tells me I handled it right

nightmare69

Re: Domestic violence encounter at wally world today.

Post by nightmare69 »

You did the right thing. If you would have tried to stop it yourself then it could of put you into a position where you would of had to shoot him.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

Same day, different place: Good Samaritan Shot

Happened in Houston about 3 miles from my office today. Domestic violence, woman screaming for help. Two men come to her aid and one of the rescuers gets shot by the abuser.

I've also read of stories where a woman is screaming for help, bloody and beaten. The police arrive and are her savior. However, when they start to handcuff and arrest the guy, suddenly that same whimpering wife is attacking the policeman with a kitchen knife to "defend her man". :roll:

Domestic violence encounters are scary, weird, unpredictable, and dangerous. I don't think I could stand there and watch someone get murdered in cold blood, but I would do everything in my power to avoid having to intervene short of that.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

"Domestic violence encounters are scary, weird, unpredictable, and dangerous. I don't think I could stand there and watch someone get murdered in cold blood, but I would do everything in my power to avoid having to intervene short of that."

:iagree: This
TSRA Life Memeber

fickman

Post by fickman »

Many police fear domestic violence more than any other routine encounter. . . the emotions are exponentially more charged, the behaviors are far more unpredictable, and there's a ton of backstory you can't know. In fact, if you had harmed or threatened him, there's even a chance she could have turned on you because she could still be loyal to the guy attacking her. From the story, I don't think this lady would have, but you didn't know that.

She was being hurt, but not in a way that would normally cause death. . . you did everything right in my opinion. Great awareness!
Native Texian

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

I completely agree with previous posters who thought you did the right thing. In this case, it sounds like the best thing you could have done was get police to the scene and be a good witness. You did both. If he had escalated to the point he was obviously going to kill her, then you can cross that bridge at that time. Until then, observation was probably the best thing for all concerned.

lrpettit

Post by lrpettit »

A common theme in this forum is to NOT be Batman. I think you handled it perfectly.
Opinions are my own, commonly worthless, and should not be relied upon. I am not a lawyer.
LTC Holder

Topic author
Txfire409

Post by Txfire409 »

Thanks everyone. Your comments help ease my mind.

nyj

Post by nyj »

Good job. I would have done the same.

A-R

Post by A-R »

You did well. Unless he was lighting things on fire, I wouldn't expect you to do more. And intervening more is extremely dangerous for everyone involved and should be reserved for extreme circumstances. Had the beating gone on longer to the point of the woman being in imminent danger of death/serious bodily injury, then more intervention could be necessary.

But your being an observant and WILLING witness is a huge help. Hopefully with statements from you, the woman, and the folks in the store, this guy will be dealt with appropriately.

jmra

Post by jmra »

A-R wrote:this guy will be dealt with appropriately.
Our legal system does not allow society to deal with this individual "appropriately".
If it did he would be strapped to a wagon wheel, horse whipped, and then tarred and feathered.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

You did good. DV calls are very dangerous and the "victims" often turn on the authorities as well when they realize their man is going to jail. Being a good witness is always a smart way to play it.

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

jmra wrote:
A-R wrote:this guy will be dealt with appropriately.
Our legal system does not allow society to deal with this individual "appropriately".
If it did he would be strapped to a wagon wheel, horse whipped, and then tarred and feathered.
A man after my own heart..... :biggrinjester:

Kythas

Post by Kythas »

Jumping Frog wrote: I've also read of stories where a woman is screaming for help, bloody and beaten. The police arrive and are her savior. However, when they start to handcuff and arrest the guy, suddenly that same whimpering wife is attacking the policeman with a kitchen knife to "defend her man". :roll:
Something similar happened to me in my LE days.

We got a DV call and, upon walking up to the house, I could see through the front window a male and female on the floor, with the male on top beating her with both fists. My partner and I entered the house and tackled the guy.

As we were putting the cuffs on him, I felt something hit me in the back. It was his wife with a broom, hitting me with the wooden broomstick part, telling me to let him go. She said she just wanted us to get him to stop hitting her, not take him to jail.

I told her we aren't referees. We cuffed her but ended up not arresting her after she calmed down. The husband did become a guest of the Parish for that evening.

I'm fairly sure every cop has a similar story.
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”