Cardboard Targets Cost and Source ????

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
kg5ie
Posts in topic: 7

Cardboard Targets Cost and Source ????

Post by kg5ie »

In Georgetown I noticed that the cardboard targets were from "Lighthouse for the Blind" here in FTW. I was interested so I copied down the name and the number off of their targets. As soon as I got back I called the number. They claimed to have no idea what I was talking about. I suspect either a) they only sell them to the DPS or b) I just didn't get the right person to talk to on the phone.

Anyway, the purpose of the post..........where are you buying your cardboard targets? Cost? Are they high to ship?

Thanks,
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Cardboard Targets Cost and Source ????

Post by Keith B »

kg5ie wrote:In Georgetown I noticed that the cardboard targets were from "Lighthouse for the Blind" here in FTW. I was interested so I copied down the name and the number off of their targets. As soon as I got back I called the number. They claimed to have no idea what I was talking about. I suspect either a) they only sell them to the DPS or b) I just didn't get the right person to talk to on the phone.

Anyway, the purpose of the post..........where are you buying your cardboard targets? Cost? Are they high to ship?

Thanks,
Here is a link to the info http://lighthousefw.org/index.php?page= ... &Itemid=53" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 8

Post by sjfcontrol »

kg5ie wrote:In Georgetown I noticed that the cardboard targets were from "Lighthouse for the Blind" here in FTW. I was interested to I copied down the name and the number off of their targets. As soon as I got back I called the number. They claimed to have no idea what I was talking about. I suspect either a) they only sell them to the DPS or b) I just didn't get the right person to talk to on the phone.

Thanks,
I got my targets from them.
http://www.lighthousefw.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rsellers@lighthousefw.org
817 332-3341

Yes, they supply DPS's targets. As of 8/1/2012 Cardboard targets were 25 @ $0.84 each, paper were 100 @ $0.47 each
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Topic author
kg5ie
Posts in topic: 7

Post by kg5ie »

Keith B wrote:
kg5ie wrote:In Georgetown I noticed that the cardboard targets were from "Lighthouse for the Blind" here in FTW. I was interested so I copied down the name and the number off of their targets. As soon as I got back I called the number. They claimed to have no idea what I was talking about. I suspect either a) they only sell them to the DPS or b) I just didn't get the right person to talk to on the phone.

Thanks,
Here is a link to the info http://lighthousefw.org/index.php?page= ... &Itemid=53" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you both for the info. Just got off the phone with their store. Wow, I am pleasantly surprised with the cost...and because it relatively local (23 mi) I can avoid the shipping cost. :tiphat:
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

kg5ie wrote:
Keith B wrote:

Thanks,

Thank you both for the info. Just got off the phone with their store. Wow, I am pleasantly surprised with the cost...and because it relatively local (23 mi) I can avoid the shipping cost. :tiphat:
How about posting their current prices?
Never Forget. Image

234sportsman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 234sportsman »

I ordered some a few weeks ago. The cardboard B27 price was approx. $70 for 50...shipping included in the state of Texas. I love em!

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

234sportsman wrote:I ordered some a few weeks ago. The cardboard B27 price was approx. $70 for 50...shipping included in the state of Texas. I love em!
Shipping of the cardboard version is expansive, they're heavy. Your price is 1.40 each where mine (without shipping) was 0.84 each ( but a 9 months ago.
Never Forget. Image

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

Here is a nice list of target manufacturers licensed to sell NRA targets (the B27 CHL standard target is an NRA target).

http://compete.nra.org/nra-licensed-tar ... urers.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

Jumping Frog wrote:Here is a nice list of target manufacturers licensed to sell NRA targets (the B27 CHL standard target is an NRA target).

http://compete.nra.org/nra-licensed-tar ... urers.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, can anyone print an official B27 target or only if you are approved and licensed by the NRA? Or, another way to say it, can anyone grab the official NRA B27 specifications and print up targets and call them a B27 and use them for official CHL certification? And, how is this regulated that a non NRA licensed B27 target is legit and in specifications?
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Jumping Frog wrote:Here is a nice list of target manufacturers licensed to sell NRA targets (the B27 CHL standard target is an NRA target).

It is?
Never Forget. Image

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

RX8er wrote:So, can anyone print an official B27 target or only if you are approved and licensed by the NRA?
It is copyrighted.

An individual printing their own is not going to hit anyone's radar screen, and may possibly fall under fair use doctrine. But a business printing them without a license could certainly fall into a deep mess -- commercial copyright infringement has some pretty serious penalties.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Jumping Frog wrote:
RX8er wrote:So, can anyone print an official B27 target or only if you are approved and licensed by the NRA?
It is copyrighted.

An individual printing their own is not going to hit anyone's radar screen, and may possibly fall under fair use doctrine. But a business printing them without a license could certainly fall into a deep mess -- commercial copyright infringement has some pretty serious penalties.
I don't believe the B-27 is copyrighted. What the link says is
The NRA has licensed a number of companies to print Official NRA Targets. These Target Manufacturers have agreed to follow NRA standards for Official Targets.
The NRA wants to ensure the targets are the correct size, and contrast density for competition. I believe anyone can legally print and sell a B-27 target, it just may not meet the guidelines for NRA.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

Jumping Frog wrote:
It is copyrighted.

Do you have one that is? I have been unable to locate any one of the NRA approved vendors as having a copyright for a B27 target, or the NRA itself as having a copyright that could license a printer. http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebre ... PAGE=First" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The reason I asked is that one of the major printers of the B27 that sells to several of the big box stores is not listed by the NRA. I would find it very hard to believe that one of the majors would violate a copyright.
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Crossfire »

Have you guys even looked into the cost of a wide format printer, capable of printing these targets?

Sure makes .84 per target sound reasonable.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

There is a guy that sells paper silhouettes at the gun shows. They have a printing business and this is a sideline of the regular business. I think even at a fair quantity purchased his price was around $0.50 each. Don't remember the style for sure, but they may or may not be exact size required for NRA.
Keith

Return to “Instructors' Corner”