TX - duty to retreat?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TX - duty to retreat?

Post by longtooth »

tommyg wrote:I think Gov Perry will veto it if this horrible bill gets to his desk. But we have to try to nip it in the bud
It would be a SAD day when we have only one man between us & a bill like this. Surely there are enough good legislators to bury this.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmra »

longtooth wrote:
tommyg wrote:I think Gov Perry will veto it if this horrible bill gets to his desk. But we have to try to nip it in the bud
It would be a SAD day when we have only one man between us & a bill like this. Surely there are enough good legislators to bury this.
I hope so. Texas is much better than this.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

AEA
Posts in topic: 4

Post by AEA »

There MAY be enough to kill it IF they actually read it. It is cleverly disguised by the bill title so that many pro gun Legislatures would just vote for it without reading it.

Classic Dem bait & switch technique that has worked for them many times in the past.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Well he is not hiding his views on this subject. This is from the Garnet F. Coleman webpage.

"Moreover, Texas has gone too far with its “shoot first; ask questions later” laws on the books. As the tragic incident of Trayvon Martin illustrated, these laws place innocent people, particularly youths, at risk. Representative Coleman supports the individual’s right to self-defense, but we need to be sure do not give individuals the right to be judge, jury, and executioner."

He received 92% of the vote in the last election. His district includes the area around the University of Houston and Hobby airport in Houston.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

JP171 wrote:it very may well give an opening to those who get lead injection due to attempting to seriously injure or kill a person by a third party to sue for damages, I hope it doesn't go through the house and senate and gets laughed off the floor, but I fear that it may not as we have wimps in the Texas house and senate. I never liked or agreed with the requirement to retreat from a hostile force and still don't, it always made the responsible actor the criminal as opposed to the actual criminal aggressor responsible to run away, or an abrogation of the right to life of the victim
I ALWAYS expect to be sued if I use deadly force. Anybody that carries a gun should expect that as well. Even if the family doesn't want to sue, an ambulance chasing attorney will convince them it is in their "best interest." I have been through the law suit once. They didn't get a penny, but it was still stressful.

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

He received 92% of the vote in the last election. His district includes the area around the University of Houston and Hobby airport in Houston.
And, those of us familiar with that part of Houston know what that area is like.

For those that don't, one time I was staying at the Marriott/Hobby and came downstairs to walk/run. The doorman asked me what I was doing. When I told him I was going to exercise, he pointed out the door and said "out there?", then quickly added, "I really think it would be alot better if you just went to the exercise room and used the treadmill, it ain't a good place to go on foot.".

A Representative from that area should be working to strengthen self defense laws, not subvert them.

Write, email, fax or call all the members of the judicial committee as recommended by DLBC.

Politely, but firmly.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

Texasrpbrock
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Texasrpbrock »

Thanks for explaining it in depth. I remember years back when I went through my first CHL class, the instructor brought in a lawyer that talked In depth about the possible consequences of shooting a intruder in the event or need to protect yourself. He used several examples of how the system could backfire against the CHL holder. His words in a nut shell were to polietly keep your mouth shut after the event and respectfully ask to contact your lawyer as you take your ride downtown for questioning. He cautioned the worst thing a person could do was to tell LEO the details at the scene. Even a by-the-book incident could be turned against you. I came to the conclusion he meant if you have no other option to protect yourself, lethal force was unfortunately preferred to possibly prevent a civil suit. I'm not condoning or suggesting that lethal force be used, but our class was told to be prepared to spend a boat load of money for legal defense. I hope I never have to test the system. If Texas was to lose the castle doctrine the halls of justice will definitely be painted a much different color. :banghead:

I will be sending my disapproval letters to the appropriate officials.
:patriot: :txflag:
Proud Texan, NRA Member and TSRA Member. Support your local cotton farmer.

Daisy Cutter

Post by Daisy Cutter »

TSRA is on the case and members should be getting email alerts from Alice Tripp. Unfortunately the tsra.com site is not up to date right now (Sat Apr 27 pm) on this bill.

Needs to be stopped now, and not rely on a Governor veto. Some bills get passed and end up inside larger "cleanup" legislation that prevents the Governor from vetoing just one section.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

This bill will not pass, nor will Sen. West's SB1349. That said, we still need to contact the committees and let them know we oppose these "support the criminals" bills. (Don't contact the Senate committee yet; we'll do this only if the bill gets a hearing.)

Chas.

DLBConductor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DLBConductor »

My "alert e-mail" from Alice Tripp (Texas State Rifle Association) arrived yesterday. It only takes a total of 10-15 minutes to send individual e-mails to the House Committee Members and your local representative.

When it comes to our opposition to ill conceived new gun control legislation, I am finding that writing our elected representatives is an important step in preserving our gun rights. Even representatives who agree with us say that the letters and e-mails give them good supporting documentation.

Whether it is a local, state, or national issue, whenever your 2nd Amendment rights are threatened, make sure your voice is heard.

We are fortunate to have Charles Cotton and Alice Tripp to keep us informed and educated. Thank you both for your good work.
[12/10/2011: CHL Class - 100 Written and 240 Range][01/14/2012: Plastic - 31 Days!]
[NRA Life Member][TSRA Life Member][CHL]

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

This is a portion of the Texas State Rifle Association's legislative alert that just went out on it:

Oppose HB 3773 by Rep. Garnet Coleman (D-Houston)
On Monday, April 29th, the House Committee on Criminal Jurisprudence is taking public testimony on HB 3773 by Rep. Garnet Coleman (D-Houston).

HB 3773 is beyond bad and, if passed, would gut what the press refers to as "Castle Doctrine" passed by TSRA and NRA in 2007.

Among the many things wrong with HB 3773, the bill would raise the mental standard for using deadly force for personal protection from "reasonably believes" to the impossible level of "substantially certain", and requires the intended victim be "unable to safely retreat".

An assailant pulls a gun or a knife on an intended victim, a CHL for instance, the intended victim must first consider getting away and second be"substantially certain" the assailant is serious about using the gun or knife to do them harm.

Probably worse, HB 3773 repeals the "presumption" for use of deadly force for every location other than within your home, only within your home would you not be required to retreat first. If you're on the street or in your vehicle you would be required to try to get away and then, again, be absolutely certain the assailant intends deadly force.

An additional outrageous change would prohibit the use of deadly force to stop a robbery or aggravated robbery . If the intended victim is stopped on the street by an armed robber; the victim would need to comply, although an armed CHL.

HB 3773 gives protection to those who would do us harm and puts the rights and the safety of intended victims in question and in jeopardy.

These are only a few of the problems with HB 3773 by Rep. Coleman.

Please contact members of the House Committee on Criminal Justice and urge them to vote against and stop Rep. Coleman's HB 3773! Please call their office and/or send email.

Law-abiding Texans Need Your Help!....
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

Paragrouper
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Paragrouper »

I received the same letter from Linda and sent letter to the committee members, as requested.

Now for a beer...
DCC
"Beware the fury of of the patient man." ~John Dryden

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Wonder why I didn't get an alert email?

They have my email as part of my membership record.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Jumping Frog wrote:Wonder why I didn't get an alert email?

They have my email as part of my membership record.
I may be wrong, but I don't think TSRA imports all Member's email addresses into the Constant Contacts account used for email blasts. I think you have to sign up. Again, I may be wrong.

Chas.

cw3van

Post by cw3van »

Why are we having such a hard time getting good CHL bills passed this time republicans control both the Texas houses. I feel like we are being played by many this time around.:banghead:
cw3van
Retired LEO
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member,

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”