Dallas Summer Musicals-Fair Park - 30.06 CHL Carry????

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Dallas Summer Musicals-Fair Park - 30.06 CHL Carry????

Post by Keith B »

thevelement wrote:I also went to Dallas Music Hall last night to see Wicked, and I can also attest to the fact that I saw no 30.06 signs. Also, either the security guard at the entrance had a keen eye, or I was printing through my suit jacket because he came up and asked if I was carrying. Upon an affirmative reply, he asked to see my license, and after inspection he thanked me and wished me a good night.
Was this a uniformed police officer or just a security guard? If it was not an actual LEO, then you are not obligated to show them your license, but can if you so choose to keep from getting hasseled.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

AEA
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AEA »

thevelement wrote:I also went to Dallas Music Hall last night to see Wicked, and I can also attest to the fact that I saw no 30.06 signs. Also, either the security guard at the entrance had a keen eye, or I was printing through my suit jacket because he came up and asked if I was carrying. Upon an affirmative reply, he asked to see my license, and after inspection he thanked me and wished me a good night.
Was he a Police Officer or a Security Guard? You are not required to show your license to a Security Guard.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

CarrolltonCHL
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CarrolltonCHL »

that's interesting. Other than the ticket takers and the merchandisers, I saw zero security. But we took the 530 DART from Carrollton & arrived at the front doors around 630pm (an hour before downbeat), so maybe they weren't all in place.

I thought the show itself was awesome :)

CarrolltonCHL

Scott in Houston

Post by Scott in Houston »

If a security guard asked me, my answer would be a flat out "No." No other information given and I'd keep going.
I'd never admit to anyone other than LEO that I'm carrying, and I sure as heck would never show my license.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

You may need to re-evaluate you concealment method. My answer might have been one of two or more possibilities. "No sir. I don't do drugs." or "What? What are you talking about?"
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

DonRuger77

Post by DonRuger77 »

Great site! Any recent update on Music Hall signage? Headed there Sunday and will more than likely have a long haul from parking to the entrance and don't want to have to take a firearm back to the car. Thanks in advance!

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Couple years ago, I was parked at the Music Hall lot on the fair grounds and my car along with many others were broken into during the performance. Not hard for the scumbags to figure out nobody would be coming back til the show was over, and this was in broad daylight (afternoon matinee).

Fortunately we had nothing to steal (before my CHL), but be forewarned. This is why I have a safe hooked to the frame in my car.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Sorry for draging up an old post but just to get a clear answer Dallas Fair Park is ok to carry? We are going to see the dino thing for my kid.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

suthdj wrote:Sorry for draging up an old post but just to get a clear answer Dallas Fair Park is ok to carry? We are going to see the dino thing for my kid.
Fair Park is not off limits statutorily, and since it is owned by the city of Dallas it cannot be posted 30.06.

Well, nothing keeps them from posting, but it is not enforceable. ;-)
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Due to the efforts of a couple of our members here 2-3 years ago, Fair Park and the Texas State Fair specifically, has done much better in their efforts to not infringe on our rights and the law. IIRC, no one is wanding or anything like what they do for the state fair in the parking lots to the theater for the musicals or the building itself. I guess they figure it is a very different crowd that attends musicals versus the fair.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I haven't been to the theater in a few years, but it wasn't posted before and I don't believe it is now. It was also not a 51% location, so not off limits per TABC rules.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Mr.E.G.

Post by Mr.E.G. »

An update:

I took my daughter to see Peppa Pig Live at Dallas Music Hall in February of 2016 and they had a 30.06 sign posted. I was sort of annoyed since I knew it was invalid, but as strongly as I believe that the Music Hall should follow the law, I'm not inclined to have that argument with my three-year-old in tow. Consequently, I put my gun back in my car and prayed to the parking lot gods that my car not be broken into.

Yesterday, however, my wife and I went to see Ragtime, and the signs were no longer posted. Looking at the history of this thread, it appears that they have flipflopped on the signage issue on multiple occasions. This is of particular concern to me since I had a bad experience at Fair Park a few years ago.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for the rights of business owners to post a 30.06 sign and bar the carrying of a firearm on their premises. I disagree with their position, but when I'm on their property, it's there call. But, as we all know, city property isn't "their" property; it's mine, and yours, and everyone else's, and the law treats city differently than private property. I wish the City of Dallas would learn to consistently follow the law.

KLB

Post by KLB »

C-dub wrote:They are either clueless or defiant.
I think it's pretty clear which of those two it is. The clerisy seem to believe the law is a tool for controlling the people, not something by which they themselves are bound.

Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

We have season tickets and go there a lot. I've never seen anything other than a gun buster sign.

They've taken all signs off the main entrance. I think the back door still has one on it, but we don't use that door and it isn't a 30.06 sign anyway.

I carry every time. Never an issue.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”