School Bans Strapless Dresses from school dance

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
psijac
Posts in topic: 1

School Bans Strapless Dresses from school dance

Post by psijac »

Some parents say this dress code violates their constitutional rights.

For once someone is honestly misinterpreting "The right to bare arms"

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2 ... ool-dance/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

android
Posts in topic: 2

Re: School Bans Strapless Dresses from school dance

Post by android »

It's demeaning to the girls and insulting to boys.

In other countries, women must cover themselves from head to toe in black because "men can't control themselves".

In the summer in Austin, I see scantily clad women on a daily basis. I can guarantee you it has not provoked me to break the law. If it did, that would be my fault, not theirs.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

One of the unmistakable developments in our culture in my lifetime is how compulsion now rules the world of work, hours, breaks, lunch hours, right to work, duties, discrimination against every conceivable characteristic, the consequent rise of the HR department that rules over every other consideration, and how in other aspects of our lives, we are freer than ever to act, speak, dress and carry on in the most vulgar, demeaning, outlandish, rude and even filthy ways we can come up with.

Almost every old man of every generation has been able to claim, with perfect sincerity and accuracy, that the young people are uncivilized, uncouth, rude, lazy, filthy, and worse, and I suppose I am in that stage of life, but I can't help but say that if we had acted, dressed, talked and carried on back then like many young people do today, we would still be being beaten!

What's wrong with a dress code, a haircut code, a (pardon me!) tattoo code, a manners code?
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

android wrote:It's demeaning to the girls and insulting to boys.

In other countries, women must cover themselves from head to toe in black because "men can't control themselves".

In the summer in Austin, I see scantily clad women on a daily basis. I can guarantee you it has not provoked me to break the law. If it did, that would be my fault, not theirs.
You ought to come out here! The weather promotes it, the culture celebrates it! As Will Rogers said, "I never expected to see young girls getting sunburned in the places they are today." We even have a nude beach, ostensibly illegal but whose looking?
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

apostate

Post by apostate »

The sexist part of the rule is the different dress code for boys and girls. I think it would be both fitting and hilarious if the administration responded to this tempest in a teapot by changing the dress code to "collared shirts and trousers" for everyone, regardless of gender. :lol:

JustMe

Post by JustMe »

I have absolutely no problem with someone finally standing up & saying that 13 & 14 year old girls(and boys) need to dress age appropriately. I am so sick of the sexualization of our children by society---let them be KIDS!
Mary Ellis
TX CHL Instructor NRA Instuctor--Basic Pistol,Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, RTBAV,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection outside the Home. ,RSO, CRSO,TP&&W Hunter Ed Instructor

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

JALLEN wrote:One of the unmistakable developments in our culture in my lifetime is how compulsion now rules the world of work, hours, breaks, lunch hours, right to work, duties, discrimination against every conceivable characteristic, the consequent rise of the HR department that rules over every other consideration, and how in other aspects of our lives, we are freer than ever to act, speak, dress and carry on in the most vulgar, demeaning, outlandish, rude and even filthy ways we can come up with.

Almost every old man of every generation has been able to claim, with perfect sincerity and accuracy, that the young people are uncivilized, uncouth, rude, lazy, filthy, and worse, and I suppose I am in that stage of life, but I can't help but say that if we had acted, dressed, talked and carried on back then like many young people do today, we would still be being beaten!

What's wrong with a dress code, a haircut code, a (pardon me!) tattoo code, a manners code?
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

OldGrumpy

Post by OldGrumpy »

JALLEN wrote:One of the unmistakable developments in our culture in my lifetime is how compulsion now rules the world of work, hours, breaks, lunch hours, right to work, duties, discrimination against every conceivable characteristic, the consequent rise of the HR department that rules over every other consideration, and how in other aspects of our lives, we are freer than ever to act, speak, dress and carry on in the most vulgar, demeaning, outlandish, rude and even filthy ways we can come up with.

:iagree: :patriot: :txflag:
Love God, Family, USA, and Texas
Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly with God - Micah 6:8

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :tiphat:

un0fficial

Post by un0fficial »

:iagree:

Had to throw mine in also

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Yep... I like the ban. As the father of a daughter, who is grown now, it would have saved a few tense arguments as I shot down dress after dress at the "dress store". Lol... I didn't care what the rules were. My little girl wasn't wearing no stripper outfit! :tiphat:

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

I have no problem with this. As long as the girls know well enough ahead of time what the rules are. 'Course my daughter had to follow the rules of a homeschool co-op...straps were required and the dress had to reach the knees (oh, the horrors! I'm sure her psyche is terribly damaged ;-) )

have you seen what those girls are wearing now? and if they spin!!! no way!!! my son isn't interested in going to the dances and it would be homeschool dances, but still....

I think requiring straps to keep the dress up and at least mid-thigh length is perfectly reasonable.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

jmra
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jmra »

It's a dress code that will hopefully help prevent any wardrobe malfunctions.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

mamabearCali
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mamabearCali »

SewTexas wrote:I have no problem with this. As long as the girls know well enough ahead of time what the rules are. 'Course my daughter had to follow the rules of a homeschool co-op...straps were required and the dress had to reach the knees (oh, the horrors! I'm sure her psyche is terribly damaged ;-) )

have you seen what those girls are wearing now? and if they spin!!! no way!!! my son isn't interested in going to the dances and it would be homeschool dances, but still....

I think requiring straps to keep the dress up and at least mid-thigh length is perfectly reasonable.

:iagree: look we all have to dress appropriately in various settings. I can't wear a swim suit to church. A business suit would be pretty silly at a exercise class. Lingerie is not appropriate for prom dresses. Straps and mid thigh length is perfectly reasonable is told ahead of time.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

03Lightningrocks wrote:Yep... I like the ban. As the father of a daughter, who is grown now, it would have saved a few tense arguments as I shot down dress after dress at the "dress store". Lol... I didn't care what the rules were. My little girl wasn't wearing no stripper outfit! :tiphat:
God Bless You! :tiphat: We need some more Daddy's with morals.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”