Traditional Shaving (Safety Razors / Straight Razors)

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
fickman
Posts in topic: 6

Traditional Shaving (Safety Razors / Straight Razors)

Post by fickman »

I was just curious if anybody else has gotten into (or stayed with) the traditional shaves. . . safety razors or straight razors.

I bought my first double-edge safety razor with a badger-hair brush this week and have to say that I'm hooked. I don't think I'll ever go back. The shaving soaps / creams are far superior to anything from a can. The shave feels better on my skin - and in the long run, I stand to save a lot of money given the price of double-edge blades vs. Mach 3 replacements. Plus, it's taken shaving from a chore to a therapeutic, relaxing event.

My personal shaving history:
I gave up the electrics in high school. . . they never left me with a good shave and irritated my skin. The best cartridge razor I found and stuck with from age 18 through my 20s was the Mach 3, but most of that time I've had a beard and really only shaved the neck line, intermittent shaves for the 5 o'clock shadow look, and the occasional full shave. Still, the price for replacements is outrageous and the shaves still aren't that great. I loathe the canned foams and gels.

I'm satisfied enough with the safety razor that I can't imagine feeling compelled to go with the straight razor. I've let a barber do one a few times, but I'll most likely stick with what I've got for a long time. I'd like to think I can pass this razor on to my son, but I'll still be using it when he's old enough, so maybe a great-grandson will get it (Lord willing. . . ).

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear recommendations on soaps, creams, aftershave balms, etc.

This seems to be a growing interest. . . almost turning shaving into a real hobby. The scents are definitely more appealing. . . the first soap I used with the badger brush gave me a vivid, stark memory of my grandpa (he died in the mid-90's) and I thought, "Now THAT'S what a man smells like!"

My startup kit, after much research, came from http://www.RoyalShave.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:
Edwin Jagger DE89BA11

Edwin Jagger EJ876 Best Badger Shaving Brush

. . .then I added a stand to hold them both, a sample pack of different blades, and a sample pack of a few different soaps / creams.

:cheers2:
Native Texian

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Traditional Shaving (Safety Razors / Straight Razors)

Post by The Annoyed Man »

You need three things:

1) a bottle of Royall Bay Rum aftershave: http://www.beautyencounter.com/buy/roya ... nQodP3AA7Q

2) a bottle of Royall Lime: http://www.overstock.com/Health-Beauty/ ... 12202756:s

3) a bottle of Clubman Country Club aftershave: http://www.goodmans.net/i/5996/clubman- ... nAodKUUAaw

The latter item is available over the counter at the Back in Time Barber Shop in Colleyville, in the same shopping center as Market Street, and it is the one they used after giving you a shave. I use all three, although I am out of the Lime at the moment. But those three are my favorite manstinks, with the two Royall products being at the top, followed by the Clubman aftershave......followed closely by a bottle of Pernaud Lilac aftershave.

All for of those are classically dry "manly" smells without reeking of the musks that are so popular these days. Each of them is different enough from the others that you can have a range of scents to use depending on your mood and how you're dressing. I even comb a little of the Bay Rum into my hair once in a while. Of course, remember not to put them on your scentlok hunting clothes, and bring a bottle of doe urine into the stand with you. :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

G26ster
Posts in topic: 3

Post by G26ster »

Welcome to the '50's :biggrinjester:

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

I remember how often I used to have little nicks using those traditional razors. I also remember how excited I was to try the first double-edged razor back in the 70's sometime. I was simply glad to stop all the bleeding.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
fickman
Posts in topic: 6

Post by fickman »

G26ster wrote:Welcome to the '50's :biggrinjester:
I've always known I was born in the wrong decade. . . :lol:
Native Texian

G26ster
Posts in topic: 3

Post by G26ster »

We can't
Provide you
With a date
But we do supply
The best darn bait
Burma-Shave!
:biggrinjester:

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

In the '80s and '90s, I used mug and brush but never used the safety razor or straight. I even have trouble watching someone on TV being shaved with a straight razor.

I don't recall what I used the first few years, but I'm still using the Trac II type that I've used for forty years.

I've had a beard for thirty years, so I just shave my neck and the cheekline.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

For razors, just heard about them, but have never tried them: dollarshaveclub.com (the commercial is HILLARIOUS - but I believe there may be some profanity).

I have a vintage brush and soap/lather cup that I got from an antique store in Cedar Rapids, IA, in the Czech Village area a few years ago. I haven't tried the old-time razors yet, just Mach 3, but lately I just use my old, crummy electric.

handog

Post by handog »

Congratulations. I made the switch a few years ago to traditional wet shaving because I was tired of paying more each year because Gillette decided to add another blade to its Cartridge. It's all marketing. All you need is a good safety razor. Think German made. Double edge blades. Japan has the sharpest. And a silver-tip badger hair brush. The key is making three passes for a face as smooth as a babies bottom.

Here are the top three soaps IMO. I prefer them to creams for protection.

#1. Proraso. Soap and AS. Best protection.

#2. Tabac. Soap, AS & cologne. Best scent.

#3. Mitchels Wool Fat. A Must have. No after shave needed.

BLG

Post by BLG »

IDK
I have a straight razor some blacksmith made for me once upon a time. Never used it.

If I cleaned the rust off and sharpened it....and shaved.... I might not like it.

Does anyone know if the beard would eventually grow back in?

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

i cant use an eletric at all my hair just get yanked out because it will plug and lock up the spinning blades. to shave with a bic i need to use to razors, yup that thick and that corse.
the high end razors like the mark xx etc, last about 3 shaves.

i have my fathers all safty razor and mug from the 50's still cuts good ive been using it for 20 years or so now.
the only way to fly.

TLE2

Post by TLE2 »

I agree with the beat poet Allen Ginsburg on at least one thing. He was asked why he had a beard, and replied "I do not arise in the morning with an uncontrollable desire to murder my hair".

However, I will probably be looking for another job in about a year, so the thought of a hot towel, sharp razor and good lather, doesn't fill me with dread.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

The Annoyed Man wrote:You need three things:

1) a bottle of Royall Bay Rum aftershave: http://www.beautyencounter.com/buy/roya ... nQodP3AA7Q

2) a bottle of Royall Lime: http://www.overstock.com/Health-Beauty/ ... 12202756:s

3) a bottle of Clubman Country Club aftershave: http://www.goodmans.net/i/5996/clubman- ... nAodKUUAaw

The latter item is available over the counter at the Back in Time Barber Shop in Colleyville, in the same shopping center as Market Street, and it is the one they used after giving you a shave. I use all three, although I am out of the Lime at the moment. But those three are my favorite manstinks, with the two Royall products being at the top, followed by the Clubman aftershave......followed closely by a bottle of Pernaud Lilac aftershave.

All for of those are classically dry "manly" smells without reeking of the musks that are so popular these days. Each of them is different enough from the others that you can have a range of scents to use depending on your mood and how you're dressing. I even comb a little of the Bay Rum into my hair once in a while. Of course, remember not to put them on your scentlok hunting clothes, and bring a bottle of doe urine into the stand with you. :lol:
:iagree:

When I was a little kid, my father cut my hair with hand clippers, and usually pulled more hair, painfully, than he cut. When I was "old enough" I was taken/sent to the local village barber, who never sharpened or oiled his shears, so they pulled, and irritated the skin too.

My grandpappy had pity on my when I complained and took me to his old fashioned barber shop. Bay rum and Clubman is all I wear. There were occasional side trips to Aqua Velva (I was a teen and "the only girl in the world" liked it, and to Old Spice (easier to find than Bay Rum) and once apon a time I wore Brut until the bottle I found in my girlfriend's bathroom ran out.

I walked into a local scent shop and asked them for Bay Rum and they looked at me like I had two heads and told me they had never heard of it.

These days I buy mine online.

I have used safety razors, electrics, multiblade carts, and a straight blade plus brush and mug.

I don't think I could use a straight razor these days, I shake too much and since I shave my head I can't see enough of the territory to keep from slicing myself up too bad.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

DLBConductor

Post by DLBConductor »

First of all, your choice of the Jagger razor and brush are excellent. I own both. I highly recommend Proraso shaving cream. It is inexpensive but provides great lather, excellent hydration, and a superb shave.

I have always used a double-edge razor to shave. Five years ago, at the age of 65, I developed a retirement hobby of shaving with straight razors. I now own 35 straight razors (USA, France, Sweden, Germany. England, Spain) and find that straight razors give me a shave unmatched by electrics or the newer multi-bladed razors. I also enjoy double-edge razors and own several vintage Gillette razors (Fatboy Adjustable, Aristocrat Adjustable, Slim Adjustable, and a World War II Military Tech.) Other excellent new double-edge razors in my collection include a Muhle R41 open comb and an Edwin Jagger DE89L. The Jagger DE89L is my favorite double-edge razor.

Congratulations on finding a great way to shave. Using double-edge razors and straight razors can be a very rewarding hobby.
[12/10/2011: CHL Class - 100 Written and 240 Range][01/14/2012: Plastic - 31 Days!]
[NRA Life Member][TSRA Life Member][CHL]

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

The Annoyed Man wrote:You need three things:

Hmmmm, bay rum, lime & country club (soda?) -- do you wear it, or drink it? :smilelol5:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Return to “Off-Topic”