Got my Wings

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ajwakeboarder
Posts in topic: 4

Got my Wings

Post by ajwakeboarder »

I just finished my FAA checkride for my Private pilots license. It's a weird feeling. I don't think it's quite sunk in yet.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Got my Wings

Post by jmra »

That's awesome.
My 13 year old son has several glider lessons under his belt and will be moving into powered aircraft after his 14th birthday. He has a plan put together that should have him with his private powered license just after his 18th birthday.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Congratulations! A license to learn if there ever was one.

Take it easy. To live, you need judgment. To get judgment you need experience.

No need to test the envelope. If you live past 200 hours or so, and your first in-flight emergency, you'll do fine. Be sure to stay under your head.

An instrument rating would be a Real Good Idea (TM).
Last edited by JALLEN on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

ajwakeboarder wrote:I just finished my FAA checkride for my Private pilots license. It's a weird feeling. I don't think it's quite sunk in yet.
Congrats!!! Please get your instrument rating next, even if you never plan for anything but VFR flight!

Topic author
ajwakeboarder

Post by ajwakeboarder »

Thanks ya'll. I got the flight experience through my school. I'm going to be graduating this month. I'm gonna be looking for a flight school up in Fort Worth to get my Instrument rating. I'm also wanting to get my taildragger, high performance, and complex ratings.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

ajwakeboarder wrote:Thanks ya'll. I got the flight experience through my school. I'm going to be graduating this month. I'm gonna be looking for a flight school up in Fort Worth to get my Instrument rating. I'm also wanting to get my taildragger, high performance, and complex ratings.

CONGRATS!!! :cheers2:

I did some time at MarcAir at 52F (Northwest Regional). :tiphat:

Topic author
ajwakeboarder

Post by ajwakeboarder »

PUCKER wrote:

CONGRATS!!! :cheers2:

I did some time at MarcAir at 52F (Northwest Regional). :tiphat:
How did you like MarcAir? It's one of the schools i'm looking at.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

lrpettit
Posts in topic: 3

Post by lrpettit »

Congratulations. You'll be surprised how much better pilot you'll be after the Instrument rating. Please don't stop learning!
Opinions are my own, commonly worthless, and should not be relied upon. I am not a lawyer.
LTC Holder

DocV

Post by DocV »

Congratulations! Get some high-performance and multi-engine time in while doing your Instrument. I found I had Twin Comanche tastes.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Congratulations!

Chas.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Congratulations and welcome to the club!!
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ajwakeboarder wrote:I just finished my FAA checkride for my Private pilots license. It's a weird feeling. I don't think it's quite sunk in yet.
What do you recon the whole process cost you ultimately? I've always had a secret yearning to be able to fly, but I never felt like it was something I could afford.

Oh, an congratulations!
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

lrpettit

Post by lrpettit »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
What do you recon the whole process cost you ultimately? I've always had a secret yearning to be able to fly, but I never felt like it was something I could afford.

Oh, an congratulations!
It takes a minimum of 40 hours of flying time. The biggest hunk of the cost is plane rental. Most FBOs have the rental costs posted on their web site. The older and smaller the plane, the cheaper it usually is.

Instructor time is probably $30 to $50 per hour but once you solo you can practice without one.

Most places will take you up pretty cheap the first time to see if you like it. Cessna use to have a $49 deal but I don't know if it's still available.

I think you'll find some pretty friendly people if you take a drive out to your local FBO.
Opinions are my own, commonly worthless, and should not be relied upon. I am not a lawyer.
LTC Holder

lrpettit

Post by lrpettit »

The Annoyed Man wrote:

Oh, an congratulations!
If I was current, I'd offer to take you up but i need to get my BFR (Biennial flight review)
LTC Holder

Hogie

Post by Hogie »

lrpettit wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

Oh, an congratulations!
If I was current, I'd offer to take you up but i need to get my BFR (Biennial flight review)
There are also flying clubs around with instructors.

Back, when I was making half what I make now, I use to do 1 hour a week or so during lunch (work was under the extended 35 final for KGPM, so I would go there instead of eating). This was 6 years ago or so, but I put out about $4700 after everything (physical, test ride, etc). Now they have sport pilot programs where you don't need a physical as long as you didn't have a disqualifying event previously.

I miss flying, but as I am saving up for a house down payment, I can't really afford to go out like I use to. G1000 cockpits are still my favorite.

Return to “Off-Topic”