Brand New Instructor...just got back from Cert. Class

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
234sportsman
Posts in topic: 2

Brand New Instructor...just got back from Cert. Class

Post by 234sportsman »

Just finished class this morning....finally done!

I just wanted to say that the class was long, but very good! The information given was clearly presented and I feel well prepared to begin to teach.

Kudos to both instructors! They were very friendly and personable and answered every question I had and many others that I heard, as well. I know that class was tiring for us, but I'm sure even more so for the instructors. When we took breaks, they were still "on"...answering questions from individuals.

As a result of these two instructors, I have a new respect for the DPS, both troopers and civilians. They are pulled in many different directions by many different groups and interests. I have no doubt that these two instructors, as well as everyone else we met from DPS, are great supporters of 2nd amendment rights and definitely friends of CHL holders and program in Texas. I have no doubt that the success and continuation of the CHL program is very important to them.

The range time today was great fun and I learned a lot just by watching how that range is operated.

Thanks to DPS and the all the range guys and great instructors!

texanjoker

Re: Brand New Instructor...just got back from Cert. Class

Post by texanjoker »

congrats

gthaustex
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gthaustex »

Congratulations. :thumbs2:

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

:thewave :thewave
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

:hurry: :iagree: :thumbs2: :fire :thewave :tiphat:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

:iagree: Yes it was fun!! Enjoyed meeting all of the other newbies. Liked the instructors. And I think most of us passed!!

I've already cleaned up my website...removing something that I learned in class I should not use... :oops:

I think I am going to wait for a few days before I jump into lesson plans and class preparation though. I see SB 864 passed a unanimous vote in committee and will go to the Senate floor likely next week.

bill d
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

howdy

Post by howdy »

Did a female blond Lawyer instruct the law to your class?
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Topic author
234sportsman

Post by 234sportsman »

No lawyer instructors...same two instructors the entire class.

The_Busy_Mom

Post by The_Busy_Mom »

And those 2 instructors were AWESOME!!! They absolutely made the class! I, too, am going to wait a couple of days before getting into lesson plans - I teach school Monday and have a BATFE visit on Tuesday, so Wednesday is going to be the day I sit down and re-hash everything. But it would not have been near as interesting or entertaining if not for the duo of Bomb-Shhhhh and Sky-Bye!! :rock"

:txflag: TBM
Texas CHL Instructor / NRA Certified Instructor
Final Shot Armory - Specializing in Firearms Sales & Transfers, NFA Sales
$20 Transfers for Current TX CHL Holders, Military, Teachers, LEO / $25 Everyone else
http://www.FinalShotUS.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bulinm

Post by bulinm »

Congratulations to all new instructors !! Maybe next year.....
Dallas

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doin' in a rustic setting like this ?

Dal686Tech

Post by Dal686Tech »

The most outstanding impression that I came away with was the sincerity of the Instructor candidates - impressive! As the man said, we are all of like persuasion - And yes, no debate, the instructors were outstanding. I have been a lifelong fan of DPS but my admiration doubled - way to go! :thumbs2:

An open offer - I have converted all of the movies on the CHL Channel at YouTubes to mp4's - PM me if you want to save a few moments of converting time.

I, too, will be creating a PowerPoint presentation. In putting some thought into a Scope of Work, and remembering the potential exist that the instruction time may decrease from 10 to 4 hours, I am thinking that creating 10 main modules with 3 or 4 sub-modules may offer the flexibility to expand or contract the course time and to expand or modify the course to the audience. The devil is in the details but a rough draft seems to suggest that it is plausible.

BTW, if anyone is willing to share their PowerPoints, I would be most appreciative. I am interested in seeing what others have done and how I can adapt various presentation aspects into my idea of building a flexible module solution.

hankintexas

Post by hankintexas »

I have finished my nra instructor class and believe I am ready to submit for the CHL instructors class. I am kind of curious if I have everything in my packet.

1 Copy of class completion
2 CHL form 90
3 Email confirmation with barcode.

I have already completed the electronic FP and paid.
Am I forgetting anything?
Hank Henry
NRA Instructor / NRA LIFE MEMBER / NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Dal686Tech wrote:The most outstanding impression that I came away with was the sincerity of the Instructor candidates - impressive! As the man said, we are all of like persuasion - And yes, no debate, the instructors were outstanding. I have been a lifelong fan of DPS but my admiration doubled - way to go! :thumbs2:

An open offer - I have converted all of the movies on the CHL Channel at YouTubes to mp4's - PM me if you want to save a few moments of converting time.

I, too, will be creating a PowerPoint presentation. In putting some thought into a Scope of Work, and remembering the potential exist that the instruction time may decrease from 10 to 4 hours, I am thinking that creating 10 main modules with 3 or 4 sub-modules may offer the flexibility to expand or contract the course time and to expand or modify the course to the audience. The devil is in the details but a rough draft seems to suggest that it is plausible.

BTW, if anyone is willing to share their PowerPoints, I would be most appreciative. I am interested in seeing what others have done and how I can adapt various presentation aspects into my idea of building a flexible module solution.
Where is the CHL channel? I haven't looked at it in a long time and there may be something new.

Chas.

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Dal686Tech wrote:The most outstanding impression that I came away with was the sincerity of the Instructor candidates - impressive! As the man said, we are all of like persuasion - And yes, no debate, the instructors were outstanding. I have been a lifelong fan of DPS but my admiration doubled - way to go! :thumbs2:

Where is the CHL channel? I haven't looked at it in a long time and there may be something new.

Chas.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TXCHLI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA lifetime member

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

I have downloaded all the video clips, plus several others. 911 call, Walmart shooting in Deli, etc. I would like to take you up on your offer of sharing PPT files. I'll PM you and see if we can get a line of communication open for the share. I would like your converted files. I have not found a converter yet. Let me know what you used and I'll take those that I have that are not on the DPS channel and get them converted.

kg5ie
Bill D.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Return to “Instructors' Corner”