Reason you decided to get CHL ?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Shasta
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Reason you decided to get CHL ?

Post by Shasta »

Understood & Agreed.
It does indicate the increasing audacity of the criminal element, more often adding serious bodily injury to their other crimes. This applies to other crimes as well, jumping people in parking lots to carjack, rather than hotwiring the car, etc.

sundance
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sundance »

tangodown wrote:It's better to have a gun and not need one then to need a gun and not have one. Also, I like to exercise my right to bear arms.

:txflag:
I agree totally!
:iagree:

MotherBear

Post by MotherBear »

No CHL yet, but working on it... the primary motivation was realizing that most of the day I'm alone with three small kids (4, 2, 9 months). My ability to escape quickly from any sort of trouble is about nill; we move at a snail's pace on a good day. So, I've decided we're going to have options. On principle, I also think it's a good idea for criminals and politicians (excuse the redundancy) to be aware that there are armed people out there in society ready to resist if necessary, and that we look just like everyone else.

AtkRWC

Post by AtkRWC »

I really didn't care if I had my CHL or not. I do what I want, trying to stay in the "Law" as much as I could. My wife and a few of her girlfriend decided they wanted to get their CHLs so I went with them.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
It's not my job to die for my country...It's my job to provide the max opportunity for the enemy to die for his!
21 years US Army, Airborne...Air Cav
I will NEVER forget my oath! You know, all that stuff about Constitution and such!

mackbymack

Post by mackbymack »

Long story. Back in 2005-2006, when it looked like the bird flu might start jumping human to human, my wife determined with a >50% mortality rate we should become prepared for a period of lawlessness. We bought a Glock 22 based on a police officer recommendation. Obviously the H1N1 epidemic didn't come to pass so the firearm sat dormant in a gun safe.

Recently, we've noticed a greater sense of a lack of personal security when we are away from our house. I believe that the lack of security, along with the uncertain political situation, motivated us to pursue our CHL. With our plastic in hand, we are now in the process of getting our carry weapons (spent about 5 hours yesterday looking and handling various recommendations) and then becoming proficient with them. I don't want to carry until I am reasonable proficient, and this ammo thing is a serious inconvenience.

Short story, because we wanted to, we could and we should.

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

Because ALL the cool kids are doing it! :biggrinjester:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

I got my CHL because a right not exercised is a right denied. I doubt I'll ever be in a situation where I have to actually use my weapon to shoot another human being, but I have the right to self defense so I carry every day everywhere (that it's legal.) I train constantly and have ingrained the habit of carrying (over my wife's objections) so that it has become expected behavior for everyone that knows me.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Because I had one in Oregon before moving to TX, and one in Alaska before Oregon, and one in South Carolina, and one in North Carolina before that and…. Before that.. Im pretty sure the first reason was…. Because I can.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

M_Smith86

Post by M_Smith86 »

I haven't received my license yet but the reason why I am getting one is I have a bleeding disorder called Hemophilia which as a kid really wrecked my lower joints (I.e. ankles and knees) so it is hard to walk and would be fairly impossible to run. And 1 good blow would be fatal like that! A simple fist to the abdomen could be fatal in minutes. So I would have no chance if I was to get into it with someone that had a baseball bat. Plus second reason would be because I can.
Took and passed course 3/24/13
Completed online application 5/24/13
mailed in materials 5/28/13
License Received 6/22/13

Wtxchooter

Post by Wtxchooter »

The theater shooting last July was a wake up call. Evil is all around. I work with the public on a daily basis. Looking at all these guys committing mass murder, the common denominator was the freakin crazy gleam in their eye. Began to notice that same look in some of the people I see,day to day. I pray I am never faced with the situation requiring use of my weapon. However, if faced with that situation (or any requiring defense of my person or loved ones), I would much rather face it armed than not.
STOP, OR MY WIFE WILL SHOOT!

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

1) Mainly as a political statement.

2) To defend myself, should the need arise, from those who vote Democrat as their political statement.
Byron Dickens

phototex
Posts in topic: 2

Post by phototex »

I have been a hunter and shooter since I was in high school, very comfortable and familiar with firearms of all kinds....but now, as an arthritic 70-year-old, I realized that I have become a viable potential target. I deciced to carry to help protect my wiie and myself. It was a very simple decision, but one with very complex consequences.

Gunner4640
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Gunner4640 »

The main reason is because its my right in this country to be armed. Also to protect my wife and myself and whoever is with me at the time.

Last I was in Walmart 1960 @ Eldridge Houston after checkout I was headed to the mens room I noticed a guy standing at the door, by the time I got there he was inside, I noticed he was eyeing my watch (nothing fancy a Seiko ) I went in and he walked to the stall next to me next thing I know he is looking over the divider at my watch..(yes my watch) He looked back the 2nd time and I asked him if my watch was worth dying for? I reached real fast as if I was reaching for my holster. I did not have a gun or CHL but he didnt know that, when I reached he ran out the door. This was a real wake up call for me.
It was in the middle of the afternoon. :nono:
Dave & Wife NRA Members
Too many guns to list> :lol::

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Evil is everywhere and I want to be able to protect myself should the need arise. The worst day of my life will be the day I have to use my firearm on another person. I hope the only thing I ever shoot is paper.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

armanius
Posts in topic: 3

Post by armanius »

1. Got married and I am now responsible for someone other than me;

2. Better carry and never need it, than to need it and not have it;

3. Shoving it up the buttocks of anti gun obama worshipping democrat libtards bent on disarming law abiding gun owners, while giving a pass to their fellow democrat gang banger drug pushing pimp gangsta rappa who shoot people on a daily basis and impregnate low IQ women three times a day.

4. See number 3.
04.03.2013 Mailed Documents
06.19.2013 Received CHL
NRA Member

Return to “New to CHL?”